Star Wars Saga Edition?

robberbaron

First Post
The only bit I didn't like was the 'only use each force power once'. It didn't feel like the films to me.
After all, how many times did Palpatine use Force Lightning on Mace Windu/Luke Skywalker? At least three times each.
Add all the pod-throwing in the senate chamber, multiple uses of the Jedi Mind Trick (certainly in Ep. 1, 2 and 4), etc., and it looks like they decided on a rule that doesn't reflect the films (for a change).
Seems a little Vancian to me (maybe they wanted to include a crossover with D&D).

Other than that, I think it is a good set of rules.
Less sure about it being the third Star Wars RPG in, what, 5 years?
And, why a square book?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
robberbaron said:
The only bit I didn't like was the 'only use each force power once'. It didn't feel like the films to me.
After all, how many times did Palpatine use Force Lightning on Mace Windu/Luke Skywalker? At least three times each.
Add all the pod-throwing in the senate chamber, multiple uses of the Jedi Mind Trick (certainly in Ep. 1, 2 and 4), etc., and it looks like they decided on a rule that doesn't reflect the films (for a change).

Well, there is nothing to stop someone picking a given force power multiple times, and in the book Palpatine has Force Lightning (4), Move object (3) as well as many others... so he could use Force Lightning four times in one encounter without having to think too hard about it (and if you roll a natural 20 when making a Use the Force check you get back all your expended Force powers - plus there are some Talents that make it easier to recover certain powers too.

Plus, it only takes a minute out of combat to meditate and you've got the whole lot back, which probably accounts nicely for the multiple mind-trick uses in Ep 1/2/4 (and gives interesting tactical reasons for a withdrawl, hide, some people take recover actions to improve their condition track, others meditate to restore their force powers and then back to the fray!

It feels very non-vancian to me because of the ease of getting and regaining the powers.

Cheers

Xer0

First Post
Jürgen Hubert said:
Thanks, everyone - all this does sound very interesting.

I guess an SRD for those rules would be too much to hope for, though...
I would highly doubt it - Lucas' cabal of lawyers were pretty adamant against an SRD for the previous versions, I don't see this as being any different.

Flynn

First Post
robberbaron said:
Seems a little Vancian to me (maybe they wanted to include a crossover with D&D).

Other than that, I think it is a good set of rules.
Less sure about it being the third Star Wars RPG in, what, 5 years?
And, why a square book?

As for the force powers, you can select them multiple times, so that you have access to multiple uses within the same minute. They were going for per encounter mechanics, and it works well as you watch the films. Two 20th level characters should have extra Force Lightnings, etc. Watch the films, and you'll see that they rarely do the same trick more than twice in any given encounter, except for them 20th level types. It works in play.

As for a square book, so it'll stand out more. ;)

With Regards,
Flynn

Klaus

First Post
Also note: you can only Take 10 in skills in which you're trained, adding yet another reason to be trained in a skill.

Particle_Man

Explorer
A natural 20 is a critical hit, not just a threat.

AC and Reflex Defence (used to be Reflex Save) are the same thing.

High level characters have a level based AC bonus that doesn't stack with armor (unless you take those soldier talents) so it makes more sense for most characters to do without.

No iterative attacks or multiple attacks without paying for them with feats.

Bonii and penalties tend to be (+ or -) 1, 2, 5, 10. Skill focus is a hefty +5, but there are no synergy bonuses and no (+2/+2) skill bonus feats.

Plane Sailing said:
Well, there is nothing to stop someone picking a given force power multiple times, and in the book Palpatine has Force Lightning (4), Move object (3) as well as many others... so he could use Force Lightning four times in one encounter without having to think too hard about it (and if you roll a natural 20 when making a Use the Force check you get back all your expended Force powers - plus there are some Talents that make it easier to recover certain powers too.

Plus, it only takes a minute out of combat to meditate and you've got the whole lot back, which probably accounts nicely for the multiple mind-trick uses in Ep 1/2/4 (and gives interesting tactical reasons for a withdrawl, hide, some people take recover actions to improve their condition track, others meditate to restore their force powers and then back to the fray!

It feels very non-vancian to me because of the ease of getting and regaining the powers.

Cheers
Since it were also pretty major battles in the life of these characters, I would expect that they spent some force points to regaining their powers, too.

Asmor

First Post
Nifft said:
1/ More like d20 Modern than D&D.

2/ General competence increases by level (like it or not); specialization is accomplished via feats & talents.

3/ It is liquid awesome drizzled over lightly toasted solid awesome.

One of those is my humble opinion. :)

Cheers, -- N

Hint: The opinion is point 1 (that it's more like d20 Modern). Everything else is incontrovertible fact.

Remove ads