Star Wars Saga Edition?

drothgery

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
I've read several people say its got tons of errata and some mechanical issues. Any truth to that?

Half of the errata is statblock errors, and probably half the rest is corner cases and obvious typos. So there's about a page and a half of substantive errata.

Mechanical issues I can't speak to... there aren't any that are obvious to me on a read-through, but I should find out soon enough; when our tabletop D&D wraps up (which shouldn't be too long; we're 16th level+), I'm running a Saga game for a bit.

Nepenthe

First Post
Interesting to see if this also means a new Knights of the Old Republic game using this ruleset... Does it seem CRPG friendly? (I really should get it, I know) :)

johnnype

First Post
What about the starship combat rules? I hear that ships are treated as big characters. That sounds a bit simplistic to me and not as tactical I'd like. Is it fun? Does it work?

johnnype said:
What about the starship combat rules? I hear that ships are treated as big characters. That sounds a bit simplistic to me and not as tactical I'd like.
To be fair, if they're trying to emulate the feel of the movies, tactical shouldn't really be a design benchmark. :)

bolen

First Post
what is keeping me from getting it is

1) I dont really like the odd shape and it seems to not use the space that well.

2) They dont seem to support it very well

3) I dont have anyone to play with. Come on there have to be gamers in Bowling Green who are over 20 and dont go to WKU. (I can't play with students as I am a professor there)

drothgery

First Post
johnnype said:
What about the starship combat rules? I hear that ships are treated as big characters. That sounds a bit simplistic to me and not as tactical I'd like. Is it fun? Does it work?

Ships are largely treated as big characters. It's my understanding that options for more tactical starship combat will be in the Saga version of Starships of the Galaxy (due late this year).

bolen said:
what is keeping me from getting it is

2) They dont seem to support it very well

It's a non-D&D WotC RPG. It's been out for a month. We've already had two web enhancements and there already is an official errata document. The designers (Owen Stephens -- OStephens here -- and Rodney Thomson -- Moridin here -- and editor Gary Sarli -- WizO_the_Hutt on WotC's boards) are very active in online communities. A free adventure path is slated to begin shortly after GenCon. A starships book, GM screen, and dugneon tiles-like product are due this year. Next year will see a Force Unleashed campaign setting, a KotOR era setting, and an allies and opponents book (and that's just the stuff they've talked about).

What more should they be doing -- given one full-time staffer and some freelancers?

Nepenthe said:
Interesting to see if this also means a new Knights of the Old Republic game using this ruleset... Does it seem CRPG friendly? (I really should get it, I know) :)

It seems more CRPG friendly than the previous rules. But I'd like to see KotOR III based on Saga, the psuedo-RCR used in KotOR I and II, or a new ruleset Bioware made up, just as long as they got to finish the game.

Last edited:

bolen

First Post
drothgery said:
It's a non-D&D WotC RPG. It's been out for a month. We've already had two web enhancements and there already is an official errata document. The designers (Owen Stephens -- OStephens here -- and Rodney Thomson -- Moridin here -- and editor Gary Sarli -- WizO_the_Hutt on WotC's boards) are very active in online communities. A free adventure path is slated to begin shortly after GenCon. A starships book, GM screen, and dugneon tiles-like product are due this year. Next year will see a Force Unleashed campaign setting, a KotOR era setting, and an allies and opponents book (and that's just the stuff they've talked about).

What more should they be doing -- given one full-time staffer and some freelancers?
I guess I meant the previous two books were not supported well

bolen said:
I guess I meant the previous two books were not supported well
They weren't?

Now, there was a large break in books before the Saga Edition was released, but both previous editions of the d20 Star Wars game were VERY well supported for a non-D&D WotC game.

Remove ads