• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars Saga RPG: Square Book? WTF

Mortellan

Explorer
Has anyone else got this book yet? I've seen it and it's well...SQUARE! It's so odd I haven't even got any comments on the content itself. Anyone know WHY wizards went with that format?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Probably to make it stand out. Seems like someone said it had something to do with another Star Wars product line they were previously running, but I can't recall.

Doesn't make any difference in the quality of the content, though. I have it, and it's looking pretty good so far!

Mortellan

Explorer
Star Wars needs a gimmick to stand out? When it was first shown to me I thought it was a coffee table book about the 30th anniversary. Then when I found out it was the new RPG rulebook I did a doubletake.

It's moronic and inconsiderate. It doesn't line up on the shelves right, it's more awkward to carry, you can't keep loose sheets of paper in it without them sticking out and get messed up. This is what happens when you let the marketing weasels get involved. There is no good reason for it.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I for one absolutely love it. I am so incredibly sick of every RPG book being the exact same size; it's boring!

The square book also seems to be a better size to insert in a boxed game, which I fervently hope is forthcoming.

Jack of Shadows

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
It's moronic and inconsiderate. It doesn't line up on the shelves right, it's more awkward to carry, you can't keep loose sheets of paper in it without them sticking out and get messed up. This is what happens when you let the marketing weasels get involved. There is no good reason for it.

Heh,

This is what happens when you let bad marketing weasels get involved.

Jack (a good marketing weasel)

Henry

Autoexreginated
Mortellan said:
Star Wars needs a gimmick to stand out? When it was first shown to me I thought it was a coffee table book about the 30th anniversary. Then when I found out it was the new RPG rulebook I did a doubletake.

Well, I'd say it did stand out if it's got people posting threads about it. ;)

I'll find out if it bugs me when I start taking it to games in the future. So far, it's not out of whack vs. any of my other books on my shelf - but then, I usually have books, notebooks, folders, etc. by game system jammed together, rather than just all books in one spot.

Zoatebix

Working on it
I do like the digest-size format that a lot of indie-RPGs use, and the trade-paperback-size that GoO used for The Authority but I haven't seen the new Star Wars book so I can't comment on it. What are its dimensions again?

Remove ads