• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars Saga RPG: Square Book? WTF

Henry

Autoexreginated
Zoatebix said:
What are its dimensions again?

9 inches X 9 inches (or 9.5 x 9.5, I can't recall; it's wider than a regular RPG book by about an inch, but shorter than one by about two inches.)

Garnfellow

Explorer
GoodKingJayIII said:
You know, I heard that square books are actually the cause of global warming.

I heard they will give you hairy palms and -- if you read them enough -- you can go blind. Merciful Minerva, those heartless cads at Wizards! Fie on them! Fie!

Jer

Legend
Supporter
It's a weird look, but a good one. The whole package is quite well done and the odd size actually works nicely once you open it up. It's easy to hold with one hand and read while standing in the game store, at least ;)

I'm curious to see why Wizards chose the odd size. I suspect that we're going to see a boxed set coming down the pike with minis, tiles and the core rulebook all in one package. It's definitely a nicer size to fit into a boxed set than the standard rulebook is.

Caedrus

Explorer
Someone on the WotC boards suggested they made it square so that when you open it, it has a widescreen-type effect. Might be cool if there are any double page pictures.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Garnfellow said:
I heard they will give you hairy palms and -- if you read them enough -- you can go blind. Merciful Minerva, those heartless cads at Wizards! Fie on them! Fie!

If you'll excuse me, I'm late for a trip to the barber... if only I could find the front door... OK, WHO HID THE FRONT DOOR?!?!!

Henry

Autoexreginated
Caedrus said:
Someone on the WotC boards suggested they made it square so that when you open it, it has a widescreen-type effect. Might be cool if there are any double page pictures.

Scary, but true. No double-pictures, to speak of, but the opening chapter pages are kind of double-spread pictures, mixed with the first text columns.

Randolpho

First Post
I have no problems with a square book (like I care about bookseller's spacial woes!) -- in fact, even though there's less actual surface area per page, they seem to pack more content in than "normal" sized books (yay, smaller font size!) -- no, my only problem thus far is with the map. Yes, I understand it's purpose is to drive mini sales, but that space could have been used for something soooooo much cooler, like a poster-sized map of the Star Wars galaxy.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Caedrus said:
Someone on the WotC boards suggested they made it square so that when you open it, it has a widescreen-type effect.
I was wondering if there was some sort of extra benefit that when it is opened up on the game table it doesn't stretch out so much on to the game playing surface. Sort of a way to save a few more inches on the game table. *shrug*

Qualidar

First Post
Mortellan said:
Has anyone else got this book yet? I've seen it and it's well...SQUARE! It's so odd I haven't even got any comments on the content itself. Anyone know WHY wizards went with that format?
1) It's awesome and cool.

2) Lets see you print your pirated copies now, suckas! :mad: :p

(not aimed at you or anyone else in this thread, Mortellan)

~Qualidar~

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads