Star Wars Saga

Kaffis

First Post
Crothian said:
There doesn't seem to be difference between used and new ships. Aside from the price that is. I can't see any reason why someone would by a new ship over a used one. One can have a small fleet of YT-1300s or one new one. And they all have the same game mechanics.

One thing I like about the Serenity RPG's economics is that used ships have higher costs for regular repairs. I'd just steal that shamelessly, and present my players with that fact -- everybody knows that as cars age, they end up having more minor problems more frequently; it's the same with ships.

Spatula

Explorer
Crothian said:
There doesn't seem to be difference between used and new ships. Aside from the price that is. I can't see any reason why someone would by a new ship over a used one. One can have a small fleet of YT-1300s or one new one. And they all have the same game mechanics.
Isn't that a bit unfair to say? The SAGA rules don't address the issue of used vehicles at all, as near as I can tell... I would imagine the starship book will address the topic. In the meantime, there's certainly plenty of possibilities for modelling a vehicle in less-then-perfect shape:

Prone to breaking down: every time the vehicle is moved down the condition track, move it another step down.

System degredation: penalty to the vehicle's ability scores (Str, Dex, and/or Int)

Uncooperative systems/controls: penalty to Mechanics, Pilot, Use Computer checks and/or attack rolls.

Catastrophic system failure: performing certain actions has a chance of causing that system to totally fail until jury-rigged (engaging the hyperdrive, increasing speed, recharging shields, etc.).

Crothian

First Post
Spatula said:
Isn't that a bit unfair to say? The SAGA rules don't address the issue of used vehicles at all, as near as I can tell.

They have a price for them so it is completely fair to say. If they didn't want to have the rules in the book for used ships they shouldn't have listed a used price tag. I can come up with all kinds of house rules if I want but I was really hoping to not have to.

Crothian said:

Taken from the (semi)-official errata thread on WotC site:

Used Vehicles (Errata)
Used vehicles aren't as good as new vehicles: You take a -5 penalty on all Mechanics checks with used vehicles, and every time you move down the condition track you move an extra -1 step.

Spatula said:
Oh, I missed the prices for used vehicles in there. Quite a discount on the pricetag there.
Yeah, but as the semi-official errata states, fixing it up is a lot harder and the ship is more prone to be damaged, making the purchase of a used ship quite a headache for low-level PCs as that -5 penalty can be pretty daunting if a character isn't a dedicated grease-monkey.

Remove ads