• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars Saga

Kaffis

First Post
Crothian said:
There doesn't seem to be difference between used and new ships. Aside from the price that is. I can't see any reason why someone would by a new ship over a used one. One can have a small fleet of YT-1300s or one new one. And they all have the same game mechanics.

One thing I like about the Serenity RPG's economics is that used ships have higher costs for regular repairs. I'd just steal that shamelessly, and present my players with that fact -- everybody knows that as cars age, they end up having more minor problems more frequently; it's the same with ships.

Spatula

Explorer
Crothian said:
There doesn't seem to be difference between used and new ships. Aside from the price that is. I can't see any reason why someone would by a new ship over a used one. One can have a small fleet of YT-1300s or one new one. And they all have the same game mechanics.
Isn't that a bit unfair to say? The SAGA rules don't address the issue of used vehicles at all, as near as I can tell... I would imagine the starship book will address the topic. In the meantime, there's certainly plenty of possibilities for modelling a vehicle in less-then-perfect shape:

Prone to breaking down: every time the vehicle is moved down the condition track, move it another step down.

System degredation: penalty to the vehicle's ability scores (Str, Dex, and/or Int)

Uncooperative systems/controls: penalty to Mechanics, Pilot, Use Computer checks and/or attack rolls.

Catastrophic system failure: performing certain actions has a chance of causing that system to totally fail until jury-rigged (engaging the hyperdrive, increasing speed, recharging shields, etc.).

Crothian

First Post
Spatula said:
Isn't that a bit unfair to say? The SAGA rules don't address the issue of used vehicles at all, as near as I can tell.

They have a price for them so it is completely fair to say. If they didn't want to have the rules in the book for used ships they shouldn't have listed a used price tag. I can come up with all kinds of house rules if I want but I was really hoping to not have to.

Crothian said:

Taken from the (semi)-official errata thread on WotC site:

Used Vehicles (Errata)
Used vehicles aren't as good as new vehicles: You take a -5 penalty on all Mechanics checks with used vehicles, and every time you move down the condition track you move an extra -1 step.

Spatula said:
Oh, I missed the prices for used vehicles in there. Quite a discount on the pricetag there.
Yeah, but as the semi-official errata states, fixing it up is a lot harder and the ship is more prone to be damaged, making the purchase of a used ship quite a headache for low-level PCs as that -5 penalty can be pretty daunting if a character isn't a dedicated grease-monkey.

Remove ads