[Star Wars] Somebody bought the license

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My system was Saga, and I call it SAGA because I think it is so good it deserves to be yelled out every time it is said.
You, my friend, are on the loose!
*rockin' out*

One day you feel quite stable
The next you're comin' off the wall
But I think that you should warn me
If you start heading for a fall

I see the problem start
I watch the tension grow
I see you keeping it to yourself

And then instead of reaching conclusions
I see you reaching for something else

No one can stop you now
Tonight you're on the loose
No one to tell you how
No one can stop you now
No one to tell you how

I am a huge fan of Star Wars RPGs.

The d6 SWRPG was the first game I actually ran, I've got most of the d6 SWRPG books, almost every book ever made for every d20 edition, and a number of non-RPG reference books.

That said, I"ve got next to zero interest in yet another SWRPG. Yet another predictable core book treading the same old turf, the same sourcebooks covering the same materials. Of the 4 published SWRPG's, I'd say d6 and Saga are my favorites, but I would probably run Saga because of supporting crunch for eras other than Rebellion and New Republic and a general like of d20 over d6 (although d6 isn't that bad).

I might have bought a GURPS Star Wars core book just for the fun of it even if I never played or ran it, but that's about it.

I don't need more miniatures, there, I said it. I've got huge amounts of starship and character minis from collecting the WotC minis over the years, dozens of Jedi and Sith, a dozen Stormtroopers and squads of all the various variant troopers, lots of, well, everything. I've got minis for everything Star Wars I could want to run from the Old Republic all the way through to Legacy Era.

As someone who has been playing and running Star Wars RPGs for 13 years now, I just wonder what could another game by another company offer that I don't already have. By the end of Saga Edition, I was buying some books just out of completionism.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
wingsandsword, I don't think they're targetting you, or anyone else who has a significant amount of Star Wars D6. I think the anticipation is that there's enough gamers out there who don't have old Star Wars, probably weren't even gaming at that time, and would be willing to buy the new stuff instead of chasing down the old stuff. I don't know that they've left it fallow long enough, but I think that's the theory.

wingsandsword, I don't think they're targetting you, or anyone else who has a significant amount of Star Wars D6. I think the anticipation is that there's enough gamers out there who don't have old Star Wars, probably weren't even gaming at that time, and would be willing to buy the new stuff instead of chasing down the old stuff. I don't know that they've left it fallow long enough, but I think that's the theory.

Since the d20 Star Wars RPG was canceled earlier this year, that's not that old, and it's not exactly hard to find some of the older editions.

A quick check of Amazon.com shows that the Revised Core Rules of the d20 RPG goes for less than the original cover price. The d6 version is for sale for rock-bottom prices, even "new" copies are for about cover price. Only the Saga Edition rulebooks is at inflated prices.

If someone wanted to play Star Wars on-the-cheap, some d6 RPG rulebooks, a net connection and Wookieepedia pulled up, and you could game for years.

I guess I'm going to become a Star Wars Edition Grognard now at Saga Edition, just like I've become a D&D Grognard at 3.5

Flatus Maximus

First Post
you, my friend, are on the loose!
*rockin' out*

one day you feel quite stable
the next you're comin' off the wall
but i think that you should warn me
if you start heading for a fall

i see the problem start
i watch the tension grow
i see you keeping it to yourself

and then instead of reaching conclusions
i see you reaching for something else

no one can stop you now
tonight you're on the loose
no one to tell you how
no one can stop you now
no one to tell you how

I can't give you XP so: O.M.F.G.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
While put my money on Green Ronin, I'm really hoping for Evil Hat Games... I'd love to see a proper Star Wars RPG done using a FATE-based system.

I've been playing in a Star Wars FATE campaign for the last few months, and it's working well.

The GM decided to go ahead with it after running a Star Wars one-shot, also using FATE, in which I played, and which was the best SW RPG experience I've ever had.

-Hyp.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Any noise from Palladium?

(ducks)

Kevin Siembieda would be up all in that yo! He'd be like, "Light Sabers? Let's make dat sucka 1d6 MD. Make dem Storm Troopers use SDC armor and doze Blastecs do 3d6x10 SDC, 'Cus dat's how I roll, son!"

Then he would be all, "Yo! Let's toss a Glitter Boi and a Veritek in dat adventure, cuz dat stuff tight yo!"*

* Yes, that's how Keven Siembieda sounds like in my mind.

Last edited:

Pbartender

First Post
I've been playing in a Star Wars FATE campaign for the last few months, and it's working well.

The GM decided to go ahead with it after running a Star Wars one-shot, also using FATE, in which I played, and which was the best SW RPG experience I've ever had.

-Hyp.

*...SIGH...*

I wanted to, at one point, run a FATE Star Was kitbash for a one-shot adventure. The response was: "If we have to play Star Wars, why can't we play with the official rules?"

...because I want to run something that isn't D20 for a change!

Oh, well.

Remove ads