Star Wars Spoilers Thread [Spoilers]

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy. It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good. I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team. Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their...

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy.

It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good.

I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team.

Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their hand cut off?

Luke lives in Ireland, eh?

Question: WHY was there a map to Luke, and why was it split into two? I feel like I missed something. For that matter, why a map and not just some coordinates? Seems like a random puzzle set up for the sake of it.
ebdc7e9da0a98a020498d701b47512ef.jpg

Water Bob

Adventurer
I'm not clear on how the "sun-gun" works. It sucks energy from the star--so much that the star goes dark. I got that from the movie. So..does the star re-ignite? It would have to, I would think. Otherwise, the weapon is a one-time use galactic shotgun.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm not clear on how the "sun-gun" works. It sucks energy from the star--so much that the star goes dark. I got that from the movie. So..does the star re-ignite? It would have to, I would think. Otherwise, the weapon is a one-time use galactic shotgun.

Or it moves.

In fact, it must do, because it destroyed the Republic system and then intended to destroy the Resistance system.

MarkB

Legend
Or it moves.

In fact, it must do, because it destroyed the Republic system and then intended to destroy the Resistance system.

I'm pretty sure they established that it fires through hyperspace, so it doesn't have to be in the system it's targeting. But yeah, I'd tend to assume that it uses the star up, and then moves on to a new one.

Water Bob

Adventurer
I was curious, so I used a little Google-fu. Yep, it looks like Starkiller Base is a mobile world. And, it does, indeed, use up the energy of an entire star when the weapon is fired.

I didn't quite get all the from the film. I wish it had been more clear because it makes Starkiller Base more interesting.

ccs

41st lv DM
I was curious, so I used a little Google-fu. Yep, it looks like Starkiller Base is a mobile world. And, it does, indeed, use up the energy of an entire star when the weapon is fired.

I didn't quite get all the from the film. I wish it had been more clear because it makes Starkiller Base more interesting.

No it doesn't, it makes it even more ridiculous.

MarkB

Legend

To be fair, while the moving part is only implied, the star-killing part is right there on the tin.

Water Bob

Adventurer
No it doesn't, it makes it even more ridiculous.

Ah, man, c'mon! Star Wars isn't hard science fiction. It's Space Opera!

Isn't large, terrible weapons built into moving rogue planets that can suck dark energy from a star and send it through hyperspace to destroy an entire solar system the definition of Space Opera?

I think so!

dd.stevenson

Super KY
As has been pointed out, Ren was a lot weaker than usual at that point. The film took several opportunities to say "Look how super-awesome Chewie's bowcaster is!", and then shot Ren with it just before he fights Finn and Rey...

I think the fact that this needs to be pointed out again and again is a testament to the weakness of the bowcaster foreshadowing, and to the flatness of this arc's payoff during the climax.

Water Bob

Adventurer
I think the fact that this needs to be pointed out again and again is a testament to the weakness of the bowcaster foreshadowing, and to the flatness of this arc's payoff during the climax.

Rey saw his blood in the snow, and Ren kept slapping himself on the wound, walking around in a circle, during the fight.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I wish it had been more clear because it makes Starkiller Base more interesting.
I disagree. (from Hollywood Squares)

It's the Star Wars universe, so great big super-laser cannons are the Ultimate Weapon of choice.

I would prefer a plotline more along the lines of Ep6: take it out before it's ready.
I would even more prefer a plotline where the decision to build - much less use - the Super Weapon has been made tentatively but not finally. The heroes could get to do some politicking (also some "war is politics carried on by other means" activity). Leia is supposed to be a diplomat by heritage, let's see her actually negotiate.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads