Star Wars: The High Republic - a new publishing campaign

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It depends on how many blasters you want the jedi defending against. In the prequels and Clone Wars, basically a blaster never hits a jedi outside of Order 66. I think in the Battle of Geonosis maybe 4 Jedi out of 20 go down to blaster fire while fending off hundreds of droids.

If you want that, a +4 bonus to AC doesn't cut it.

(Personally I don't want that sort of prequelism.)
Of course we want that. We already have that, just by assuming that each attack is at least a couple shots, and a Jedi in a defensive stance is imposing disadvantage, and a lightsaber gives partial cover against ranged attacks while the force sensitive wielder is not incapacitated or restrained. Most shots miss, a few in every hundred shots get redirected.

I mean literally give the 5e monk a magic weapon that does 2d8+stat radiant damage and provides the weilder partial cover against ranged attacks, and it’s covered.

doctorbadwolf

You can fluff that Stormtroopers are trained to lay down heavy cover fire without regard to accuracy. (There should be a Sith observation about frightening the masses to create more fear than one person alone could, to justify this.) The attack rolls you make are the X% of shots that actually get close.
This, I really dislike.
Until the prison break episode of The Mandolorian, AFAIK, the in-fiction premise of Stromtroopers was that they are very, very precise.

That shouldn’t ever change just because people make jokes applying meta concepts of action heroes and plot armor to the in-fiction “reality” of the heroes’ world.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
This, I really dislike.
Until the prison break episode of The Mandolorian, AFAIK, the in-fiction premise of Stromtroopers was that they are very, very precise.

That shouldn’t ever change just because people make jokes applying meta concepts of action heroes and plot armor to the in-fiction “reality” of the heroes’ world.
I was thinking about the original trilogy where Leia is hit by Stormtroopers' blaster fire directed at her exactly twice - the stun beam early in the original movie, and the arm burn on Endor - when somebody finally uses the sights on his weapon to aim.

MarkB

Legend
I was thinking about the original trilogy where Leia is hit by Stormtroopers' blaster fire directed at her exactly twice - the stun beam early in the original movie, and the arm burn on Endor - when somebody finally uses the sights on his weapon to aim.
Yeah, but also consider stormtroopers' accuracy when shooting at things that aren't protagonists. There's been some analysis of this:

Well, I based my system on 4E, and so I have hit points. The only time you are actually definitely hit in the fiction of my system is when you're bloodied or reduced to 0 hit points. So as long as trained Jedi has a lot of hit points, he isn't really being hit. (I specifically have a wounds mechanic for this, so people that get "hit-hit" actually have some lasting consequences. Not really important in my campaign since they usually have downtime between fights due to travel, but the mechanic to support the intended fiction is there.)

Everyone has the ability to assume an entrenched/fortified position behind cover to take only half damage from ranged attacks.

Jedi have:
  • Innate ability to use Light Sabers for extra defense bonus (compensating the lack of armor)
  • Some light-saber stances that allow them to fortify themselves without cover while holding a Lightsaber.
  • Some Ready Action type actions where they can deflect incoming attacks for half damage to themselves and the attacker
  • Encounter Type Immediate actions where they can deflect incoming attacks for half damage to themselves and the attacker
  • Daily Immediate Actions or Stances where they can deflect incoming attacks for full damage to the enemy and none to themself.
Of course, all of this at expense of more offensive-minded abilities when you take them.

Also, Jedi is an "Advanced" Class, you only can get them starting at Level 6+. So anyone that can call himself a Jedi Padawan or upwards would be Level 6 minimum, and Younglings and others would still have non-Jedi Classes. (But they still have access to some minor force abilties, at the expense of other abilities of course.)

doctorbadwolf

And her not getting hit other times is a matter of plot armor, in the fiction stormtroopers are incredibly precise.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
I saw that there's also still technically a Star Wars movie on the slate for 2022. I wonder if it will follow on from this or be a completely separate thing. Personally, I'd like it to be its own thing if it has to happen.

R_J_K75

Legend
Im surprised it took someone this long to start a thread on this. This was announced Monday I think. The "High" Republic, no wonders the Sith won.

I saw that there's also still technically a Star Wars movie on the slate for 2022. I wonder if it will follow on from this or be a completely separate thing. Personally, I'd like it to be its own thing if it has to happen.

Seems odd that theyd start this book campaign only to release a movie in a different timeline. Since Disney took over the IP there's been quite a few false starts, with writers and directors.

Remove ads