• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

STAR WARS---What race is Aurra Sing?

Fenros

First Post
Hello, I have a player that wants to play the same race as Aurra Sing. I went to the Star Wars site to see what her race was called and found that they only list it as 'Unknown'.

I was wondering, if (in the d20 material somewhere) her race has been named and given racial stats. If so, if you could tell me that would be great. Thanks!

tsadkiel

Legend
None of the d20 material ever gives her race.

In my campaign, Aurra Sing is actually a Nagai (statted out in SW Gamer #1.) But as she's never appeared or even been mentioned in game, the point is pretty much moot.

bwgwl

First Post
the DSSB (Dark Side Sourcebook) lists her race as "near-Human."

which would mean (game mechanically) she uses human racial stats.

333 Dave

First Post
Near human works for me too. I'd also classify Grand Admiral Thrawn as a Near Human, which is why the fact the WotC site with the table of races pisses me off (Why have a seperate entry for Chiss? And why assume because Thrawn was a tactical genius that all chiss should be good at tactics?)

333 Dave

First Post
Psychotic Dreamer said:
Because later in the NJO novels when more Chiss show up they also are very apt at Tactical stuff.

Surely every single one isn't. In Visions of the Future, yes, they were, but then again every chiss mentioned was an Officer anyway...

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
From what I remember of their mention of the NJO novels they all have very tactical minds in general. Maybe not exactly to the level of Thrawn, but much more geared towards tactical thinking than Humans are.

Fenros

First Post
Well Tsadkiel, I think that issue of Star Wars Gamer #1 is just about as close as I'm gonna get to an official ready. Thanks for the info!:)

I'll just call them the Nagai, and make up my own racial stats.

As far as Thrawn's race (the Chiss is it?), I guess I don't mind that writers had written that they're race/culture produces individuals who take to 'tactics' better than an average human. But it seems like just cheezy sci-fi writing. Something writers with limited imagination would do. Kind of similiar to the whole Rodian thing.

"Let's see now, I gotta write up this thing for Rodians ...hmmmm... well, Greedo was a Bounty Hunter. So maybe I'll make the culture of Rodians center on bounty hunting." *ugh*

Making the culture of a race be based off the first on-screen representative seems to reek of unoriginality.

To me, personally I would've gone in another direction perhaps with the Chiss. Maybe had the Chiss have a culture that is on the opposite spectrum of 'tactics' (and other scholarly pursuits) thus making Thrawn this neat exception. Kinda like when you see a Twi'lek woman, and she's not a slave.....she's a Jedi even.

Okay, I know there's plenty examples of cultural generalizations that still worked out fine and very interesting. But still, I'd just don't like to see this method of pinning the cultural background of a race, based off the first character seen represent it, as a common practice is all.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out with the 'Nagai' thing. And if anyone has anymore info that maybe hasn't been said here yet, please feel free to add it. :) Thanks again!

tsadkiel

Legend
Just to be clear - Aurra Sing is never actually referred to as a Nagai. But they are a race of white-skinned aliens who are obscure enough that no one would recognize them.

Fenros

First Post
You mean in the issue you referred to (Star Wars Gamer #1), they didn't actually say Sing was a Nagai? They just mentioned some race called the Nagai, and you just use that race (in your game) as the same race as Sing?

If so, then Sing's race is still (officially) unknown right? Darn. You'd think with all the hype around her, they'd name her race already. I mean, they're naming races of guys lesser exposed than her....

Hmmmm....

Thanks though for the lead.

:)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads