Star wars - which version?

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
Due to the kiddy excitement of my getting an AT-AT model for Christmas my Star Wars appetite has been well and truely wetted!

So, what version of the roleplaying game do people think is the best Star Wars experience?

I've heard good things about the Saga system, but I believe this is out of print? is it legally available as a pdf anywhere?

pawsplay

Hero
Probably the best version is West End Games 2e Revised version of Star Wars D6. (I don't recommend the unrevised version).

Of the d20-based games, I vote for the d20 Revised Core Rulebook, with the Hero's Guide. I actually do *not* recommend Star Wars Saga; although it has some nifty design innovations, I think it's a big mess, and it's no accident that sales didn't justify continuing the license. I sold all my Saga books after my third session.

And here I am disagreeing with the only other person to reply to this thread so far!

As someone who ran a long campaign using the system, I would STRONGLY warn you off the d20 revised edition (and the unrevised edition, which isn't thqt different). Put simply, the maths is broken, and the higher in level you get, the more broken it is. In combat, attack vs defense is imbalanced so everyone will hit everything all the time, and the damage system means that combats will generally only last a round or two. Which just isn't star warsy. Oh, and the space combat system is completely nonfunctional to boot, so much so that after a few months the fighter pilot PC in my game just gave the whole thing up, flew off into the sunset, and we both quit trying on the space combat front which was a crying shame. And the less said about the skill system the better. I haven't played the West End d6 version or the saga system, but d20 Revised is a horrible, broken, BAD ruleset and everyone involved in publishing it should be utterly professionally ashamed of themselves for putting out something that so nakedly fails to do what it promises on the back cover. (The Hero's Guide adds some stuff that should have been in the core book if anyone was actually serious, but the core of the problems is in the system maths, and it doesn't begin to address that. Not even papering over the cracks. Papering over bits of wall NEAR the cracks...)

I can't say anything about Saga or West End's SW systems cos I've never tried them (I'm sure lots here have and they'll be able to talk about them), but imho SW would work better in a system that strongly emphasises the narrative conventions of star wars in preference to a system that tries to simulate every dodge and blow of a fight. Something very rules-light and character driven like Risus could work, else if you don't mind doing a bit of work, a reskinning of the Mutants and Masterminds system could be an option.

theskyfullofdust

First Post
I have fond memories of playing Star Wars with the old WEG versions, but I am also playing Star Wars now using the Saga system, and I love it. You can get copies of both from ebay, and I think you can still get the basic WEG rules free off the 'net.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
Saga and WEG D6 are both out of print (D20 RCR, too, for that matter), but readily available through online & brick & mortar used book purveyors. The WEG stuff tends to be less expensive the last time I looked.

I haven't played Saga edition yet, but it seems to handle the Force better. But if you're planning a Force-lite game (e.g. Rebellion era, especially), I would put my money on the WEG D6 version. It's skill-based (classes in Star Wars never did it for me), fast, and easy.

The thing about the WotC versions is that in order to model archetypes from the films, you have to rely extensively on multi-classing. The game is built for that, of course, but you end up with things like Scoundrel/Pilot/Ace Pilot/Rebel Officer characters.

On the flip side, with the WEG D6 system, once the character start getting some experience, you do need a LOT of D6s. This isn't a problem for some people. I always enjoying rolling a dozen dice. I like the sound they make clattering across the table. :)

In summary, both editions (Saga & D6; I never really liked the older d20 system version) have strengths and weakness. In my opinion, each game is better for a particular style of game.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
I tried playing the west end games version a couple years ago, I just didn't get it. Had fun roleplaying my character, but the mechanics just had a wierd feel to them.

I love me some SAGA edition. My little nephew loves it too. I bought him the core book 2 years ago for xmas, and while he doesn't really understand whats going on crunch wise (10 yo), he thinks it's the neatest thing since scruffy looking nerf herders shooting first. I help him build characters while he chooses the options, and the rest is simply him acting out scenes roleplaying and I telling him to make rolls and add values.

I run a clone wars campaign for him when he visits and he plays a Wookie Jedi and wife plays a bumbling idiot / blaster pistol crackshot Gungan (scoundrel) named Herpaderp McGerk with a serious gambling problem.

Dumber than a box of mynocks, but hard to hit and amazingly good with his pistol, go figure. :p

The books themselves have rules scattered through out and seriously needs a rules compendium. I strongly recommend the saga core book, force unleashed, and starships of the galaxy (the last being the hardest to get ahold of at a reasonable price). The rest are much easier to find.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I played all the d20 versions, and IMHO the best one was Saga Edition.

The book is funny shaped, but that's my only substantive complaint. Unlike earlier d20 editions, Jedi are NOT just plain better than muggles, yet they still feel fundamentally Jedi-like and are lots of fun to play.

So, now you have at least one person recommending every version. Good luck out there. :)

Cheers, -- N

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
We've been having a lot of fun with the Saga edition version of Star Wars. It's proven to be pretty flexible without letting Force users get totally out of control. We've even been able to adapt it, without much work really, into a Mass Effect setting game engine.
Sadly, having been produced by WotC, there are no legally available PDFs out there

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
Thanks for all the replies :)

It seems that there isn't a definitive version out there which does seem a crying shame as the setting cries out for one.

The campaign i had in mind would just be pre-rebellion era and would involve the party aiding in stealing plans for the original death star.

The only version i don't own is the saga edition, my real beefs with the earlier editions is that jedi become so much more powerful than other characters (and if I remember correctly start out pretty much more powerful) while I appreciate they are more powerful i'd prefer as much balance as possible.

As a second question does anyone know of a website that has saga stuff in stock and ships to the UK?

delericho

Legend
I would generally reach for Saga Edition. However, the d6 version of Star Wars has a lot to recommend it. (The three d6 editions don't really have a lot of differences between them. The final version is probably the one to go for, being the most polished of the three.)

I would strongly recommend against either of the first two d20 versions of the game. In the first version neither lightsaber duels nor starship combat work. In the second version, they at least fix starship combat somewhat.

I believe some people have been using Savage Worlds to good effect.

Remove ads