• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starcraft II - NO LAN FOR YOU!

TheLe

First Post
[imager]http://www.armchairempire.com/images/action-figures/starcraft-2/starcraft-2-2.jpg[/imager]Q+A from the Starcraft Development Team

Q: Will StarCraft II be available on consoles, or over LAN?

A: We got quite different answers about local area networking (LAN), where both Dustin or Sigaty said they were still discussing it, however, Pardo knew immediately: "we don't have any plans to support LAN," he said and clarified "we will not support it." The only multiplayer available will be on Battle.net.

sckeener

First Post
Insane.

I played starcraft I on a LAN for months before I ever played on Battle.net. I attended LAN parties just to play Starcraft.

I was already figuring out VPN solutions to my starcraft friends of old just so I play with them again after all these years. (side note: we decided on hamachi since it is free and works so well.)

and now I hear no LAN at all....what insanity is this?

Kaodi

Hero
No LAN? Did Blizzard games not practically give birth to the LAN Party? I mean, getting a good internet connection is not exactly hard, but nothing beats LAN when the 'net is down and you have multiple computers ready to go.

TheLe

First Post
The best theory out there is that BLIZZARD is doing this to curb perceived Piracy.

That's crap though. I'm not a pirate, so they should stop treating me like one. PC Owners are legit. We bought Starcraft I and put it on the map, so this is insulting.

-The Le

TheLe

First Post
From Wired.com
-------------------
When asked by Joystiq about the lack of LAN support, Blizzard rep Bob Colayco responded, “While this was a difficult decision for us, we felt that moving away from LAN play and directing players to our upgraded Battle.net service was the best option to ensure a quality multiplayer experience with StarCraft II and safeguard against piracy.”

Remove ads