stare trek 3 news

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Same reason why in TNG every week thwy reconfigured the sensor array to make the ship much better, then didn't just make that the default design.

That one you can No-Prize as the reconfiguration is good for only a very specific task, or a short duration, and so isn't useful as a default design.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That one you can No-Prize as the reconfiguration is good for only a very specific task, or a short duration, and so isn't useful as a default design.
Modular kits, anyone?

At least make it so that the necessary reconfig work doesn't require someone risking their lives in a Jeffries tube...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Scotty's warp speed beaming does not invalidate Starfleet. It was demonstrated with long, but still limited range.

In the second movie, Kahn's transporting from the Klingon solar system directly into Earth's is what invalidates Starfleet. It is demonstrated as full on interstellar transport, and that's a problem.

original.jpg

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Scotty's warp speed beaming does not invalidate Starfleet. It was demonstrated with long, but still limited range.

In the second movie, Kahn's transporting from the Klingon solar system directly into Earth's is what invalidates Starfleet. It is demonstrated as full on interstellar transport, and that's a problem.

Well, Klingon space is only a few minutes away in the Abrahmsverse anyway.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, Klingon space is only a few minutes away in the Abrahmsverse anyway.

While I have found the movies to not suck, there are problems. This is one of them.

I am actually hoping that, with the third movie, they wrap it back around and close the time loop, making it a three-movie side-Trek, as it were, in an alternate timeline, and they return us to our normal universe at the end of it.

While I have found the movies to not suck, there are problems. This is one of them.

I am actually hoping that, with the third movie, they wrap it back around and close the time loop, making it a three-movie side-Trek, as it were, in an alternate timeline, and they return us to our normal universe at the end of it.
Doubt it's going to happen - I prefer the alternate timeline thing, because it allows JJ to tell a story without actually stepping on Trek (unlike G Lucas re-writting stuff, we had Enterprise which was bad enough).
For me it wasn't Scotty's beaming that I thought was the issue, but that he beamed inside a waterpark in the engineering room - that whole scene made my stomach turn. Not due to the shaky cam, but why the hell was it there in the first place? The replicators have long been held to re-purpose matter due to the lack of available materials in space and the sonic showers were used so large amounts of water, which is both heavy and finite, would not be needed. So that whole section was off putting. For me, I like that in the 2nd movie Khan isn't dead per se; THAT equals sequel fodder and a chance to do something totally original.

Ryujin

Legend
Doubt it's going to happen - I prefer the alternate timeline thing, because it allows JJ to tell a story without actually stepping on Trek (unlike G Lucas re-writting stuff, we had Enterprise which was bad enough).
For me it wasn't Scotty's beaming that I thought was the issue, but that he beamed inside a waterpark in the engineering room - that whole scene made my stomach turn. Not due to the shaky cam, but why the hell was it there in the first place? The replicators have long been held to re-purpose matter due to the lack of available materials in space and the sonic showers were used so large amounts of water, which is both heavy and finite, would not be needed. So that whole section was off putting. For me, I like that in the 2nd movie Khan isn't dead per se; THAT equals sequel fodder and a chance to do something totally original.

The Transporter has been an issue in Star Trek since the first time that they used it to cure someone. From there it can't get any better; just worse.

While the miles of clear Lexan and the fact that Scott didn't cause a nuclear blast by beaming into the space occupied by existing matter annoyed me, the mere presence of recycled water didn't. You need power for replicators and despite the fact that they can create food at will, they carry "emergency rations." You can live far longer without food than you can water.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, but that's no reason for the roller-coaster Man-sized water tubes which appeared to serve no purpose but to create a cartoonish comedy scene.

A tank of water? I guess I could understand that, though for hundreds of people no tank is going to last long.

Plus water is abundant in the universe. But that's by-the-by.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, but that's no reason for the roller-coaster Man-sized water tubes which appeared to serve no purpose but to create a cartoonish comedy scene.

A tank of water? I guess I could understand that, though for hundreds of people no tank is going to last long.

Plus water is abundant in the universe. But that's by-the-by.

Well I did mention that the miles of clear Lexan annoyed me ;)

Scenario: Your drives go out. You only have emergency power and have to survive until help arrives, when you're light years away from your nearest support. A water reclamation and filtration system with a simple storage tank could last for weeks, if not months, even with a crew of several hundred.

The 'fixings' to make water are fairy common, though not as common as something like methane (carbon and hydrogen), but you have to be able to get to them. Space is rather unforgiving.

*EDIT* Oh, and the original deck plans for the Enterprise show a swimming pool and a bowling alley, so why not a water park? ;)

Remove ads