• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

StarGate: Atlantis -- Spoilers Requested

wolff96

First Post
Alright, here's the story...

I've been a fan of SG-1 for a long, long time. Since the second season, actually. And now it's finally drawing to a close next week.

I watched Atlantis when it started and I've caught a few episodes here and there, so I'm familiar with the cast of the show and format. I just never got into the show enough to follow it.

Now that the choice is taken away from me -- and I hear that Jewel Staite and Amanda Tapping are joining the cast, at least temporarily -- I plan to start watching Atlantis. And yeah, I'm *that* shallow, I'll just start watching for those two ladies. :)

So if anyone can post a REALLY broad-strokes synopsis, I'd really appreciate it.

-----------------------------

Are the Wraith still the main threat?

When did they get such ease of travel to Atlantis, anyway?

Did they ever find a new set of batteries for the city? (One of the few arcs I vaguely remember was that the city was low on power... their Zero-Point Module was nearly depleted.)

What is their main mission these day?

Any huge plot-points or arcs I should be aware of as I start up the show again? (And hopefully enjoy it enough to stick with it this time? :))

Rackhir

Explorer
wolff96 said:
Are the Wraith still the main threat?

Yes and no. They are still around and still a threat, but don't seem to dominate the show any more. They managed to trick the Wraith into thinking that the city had been destroyed which has helped take the pressure off.

wolff96 said:
When did they get such ease of travel to Atlantis, anyway?

The city got taken over by some ancient replicators who had/brought/made three ZPMs. That they got when they retook the city, which is the answer to two of your questions as they now have one to power the Stargate on earth for intergalactic travel, one to enable one of the ships to travel back and forth, and one to power the city.

wolff96 said:
Did they ever find a new set of batteries for the city? (One of the few arcs I vaguely remember was that the city was low on power... their Zero-Point Module was nearly depleted.)

See above.

wolff96 said:
What is their main mission these day?

Go to strange and exotic places, meet strange and exotic people and kill them. The usual.

wolff96 said:
Any huge plot-points or arcs I should be aware of as I start up the show again? (And hopefully enjoy it enough to stick with it this time? :))

Well a continuing thread has been this half wraith/human character played by one of the guys from Enterprise. He's recently unleashed these super wraith/bug creatures that may go on to be a major threat/plot thread. There were a couple of episodes dealing with the Ancient Replicators previously mentioned.

DMH

First Post
Rackhir said:
Ancient Replicators previously mentioned.

The Asura are not replicators, damn it. They do not want to consume the universe and turn it into blocks, they are a lot more intelligent and they have totally different origins.

It is like calling a bicycle and a 747 the same thing just because both are used for transportation.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
DMH said:
The Asura are not replicators, damn it. They do not want to consume the universe and turn it into blocks, they are a lot more intelligent and they have totally different origins.

It is like calling a bicycle and a 747 the same thing just because both are used for transportation.

Except that the Atlantians (Earth people on Atlantis not the Ancients) call them replicators because they consider them similar enough and can't be bothered with differentiating the two for various reasons. I think Rackhir probably called them Ancient Replicators for that reason. If you watch the show they will be refered to as Replicators so anyone coming in late will hear that in reference to them and not Asura.

wolff96

First Post
Thanks for the help, guys. I knew I could count on ENWorld. :)

Heh... Going to start watching just in time for the season break -- that's planning! (I really need an eyeroll smiley)

wolff96

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
Jewel Staite? Someone said Jewel Staite???

*turns into a drooling mess of male hormones*

Well, I try to drool a bit less about it, but yeah. :)

She's been cast to play the new doctor -- or at least, that's the rumors I've been hearing. You can find the sources for that rumor (there are several) in the StarGate: Atlantis thread about the episode in which the old doctor became an ex-character.

And if you like Jewel Staite... You should really check out her short guest spot in one episode of "Dead Like Me". Last episode of the first season, IIRC. Heh.

My memory's not too good then, I thought they were just using newer Asgard Hyperdrives to get between galaxies faster. Two of the three Replicator ZPM's were on earth, one to power the Outpost in case of Ori invasion while the other stayed at SGC to power the Gate for regular travel between galaxies, since Intersteller Gate activations took such huge amounts of power.

Don't forget the Genoi, they're still an unknown quantity, and aren't on too favorable terms with the Atlantis crew.

And the Ancient Replicators are definately replicators, just not the 'old' type. The Ancients built them as a microscopic sized version to fight the Wraith, so they started off more advanced, and aren't just out to build more of themselfs at all costs.

I can't place who that character is that's supposedly attacking Atlantis in the season finale, does anyone recognise him?

DM_Matt

First Post
Hatchling Dragon said:
And the Ancient Replicators are definately replicators, just not the 'old' type. The Ancients built them as a microscopic sized version to fight the Wraith, so they started off more advanced, and aren't just out to build more of themselfs at all costs.

Can't we just settle on calling them Cylons? The ancients built them to fight for them against the wraith, they became freewilled and rebelled, eventually left, and have now come back for revenge.

Seriously though, they are the original replicators. IIRC it was strongly implied that the android Reese was one of them. Remember, the bug-shaped replicators were toys built by Reese, a human-form replicator, and her very simple programming of them to defend her led them to seek to amass as much power as possible. Only later did they evolve back into humanoid forms.

Remove ads