• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stargate Atlantis

iwatt

First Post
So slowly but surely I've gotten my hands on the SG-1 series on DVD, and so far I'm up to 2/3 of Season 8. Mnetion of Atlantis and the team sent there is sporadic, but increasing, so I would like for the helpful souls of ENWorld to let me know when should I start watching Atlantis?

Before I start with season 9 of SG-1?
After I finish season 9 of SG-1?

Concurrently in some convoluted way that only true fans know? :D

I'd apreciate any advice.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Well I think chronologically you should start with the first Atlantis episode when they first mention it in SG-1 and then just watch them alternating one episode each. But I haven't even yet cracked my atlantis dvd's so I don't know for sure. I decided to watch SG-1 to the end first.

I'm about 1/3 in the 9th season now and they talk about stuff that happens at the end of season 1 in atlantis.

Wycen

Explorer
Only slightly spoilerish...

When they introduce Mitchell, Vala, etc, is when to start watching Atlantis. Probably after Colonel O'Neill sits in the chair in Antarctica, you can start watching Atlantis.

Orius

Legend
Yeah, I'd say once you reach the beginning of Season 8 of SG-1, you can start in on Atlantis. Season 8 is where O'Neill is running Stargate Command, right? The premier of Atlantis pretty much takes place not long after the beginning of Season 8.

It sounds like you're at a point where you can safely watch the first season. The two series cross over a bit more starting with Season 9 of SG-1 and Season 2 of Atlantis, so you can sort of watch 1 episode of SG-1 followed by 1 episode of Atlantis. That's how they aired anyway, and because there's more crossing over (more than Star Trek crossed over with its spinoffs for comparison), you might want to do that so you don't miss anything.

iwatt

First Post
Ah, yes. I'm at the point were

[sblock] The jaffa have taken over Dakara and won their rebellion[/sblock]

Which is almost at the end of Season 8. Luckily nobody is spoiled things for me past this (thanks :D)

So I'll start watching Atlantis before I move on to Season 9 of SG-1. Heh.

Thanks

Orius

Legend
So you really haven't missed anything. During Season 1, there's almost no communication between Atlantis and Stargate Command, so you can watch the first season independantly of SG-1. After that, there's limited contact, so there's occasional crossovers.

Remove ads