Starter Set - $16.99

Irda Ranger

First Post
The problem with scaling back the rules is that it wouldn't provide an actual intro to D&D, it would be its own game.
The intro rules from earlier this summer weren't that bad. You don't need all of the magical item tables, special case rules, etc. to get the gist and have a good time. I think the only rules you'd need (besides class powers, skills and feats for levels 1-3) would be basic combat options and skill challenges. Unlike all previous editions you don't even need a magic chapter, since it's build into the Wizard class.

Every ruleset beyond Basic D&D has had the same problem. They are all involved and complex enough so that new players are best served by being taught by someone else that already plays.
Make sure you're not just saying that because that's how you did it. Plenty of people were self-taught on AD&D (like me) and 3E (like Masquerade), and 4E is simpler than AD&D or 3E, IMO.

cough..look here :)

I actually bought this at one point just for grins. Neat boxed set, though mine was the smaller normal box size version.

Ah I see. This was 2nd Ed era. I am not too familliar with 2E product beyond the core release (played GURPS during the 90's)

So what type of rules did it feature? Was it the core 2E rules for low level only or a special rules-lite version?

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Why? Why they keep doing it I don't know...but why it doesn't work: those older basic sets succeeded in large part becuase they were not board games. They were different kinds of games.

And it was a different kind of market, a different kind of competition, basically a radically different set of circumstances.

I don't think the Basic Set approach will ever be as succesful again as it once were.

/M

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
To answer a few questions:

Characters can level up to 3rd
Pregens start at level 1
Scenario with starting encounters is level 1
DM instructions are included for making new encounters up to lvl 3

50+ monster tokens on Dungeon Tile stock
PC Tokens also on DT stock
3 sheets of Dungeon Tiles for maps
Set of dice
16 page quick start rules
2-5 players

No minis

It comes in a box
The box is blue
The box will hold stuff

I like stuff

Last edited:

Scribble

First Post
Characters can level up to 3
Pregens are level 1
Scenario with starting encounters is level 1
DM instructions for making new encounters up to lvl 3

50+ monster tokens on Dungeon Tile stock
PC Tokens on DT stock

Thats a return to the old boxed sets. :)

Thats how the big black boxed set was. Level up to 3. Then I went out and bought the rules cyclopedia. Cool.

Obviously it's not something I plan to buy... (Although 50 monster tokens... no no... I will not buy. :D) but I think it will be a good thing for the game.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Thats a return to the old boxed sets. :)

Thats how the big black boxed set was. Level up to 3. Then I went out and bought the rules cyclopedia. Cool.

Obviously it's not something I plan to buy... (Although 50 monster tokens... no no... I will not buy. :D) but I think it will be a good thing for the game.

It's $11.55 on Amazon.

It comes in a box

You should buy it.

Make sure you're not just saying that because that's how you did it. Plenty of people were self-taught on AD&D (like me) and 3E (like Masquerade), and 4E is simpler than AD&D or 3E, IMO.

It was always possible to self learn from any rules, its just that getting a casual player hooked is an easier sell with some sets than others. I learned through Holmes-Moldvay-AD&D and on from there. Even though a friend introduced me to the game and I wasn't "on my own" looking at these rulesets now the Moldvay Basic wins out on presentation to new people.

Remove ads