• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starter Set - $16.99

Well, what would it take for a 3 levels of 'real' 4e (with character creation).

Start with the 320 page PHB.
how to play - unchanged
making characters - -2 pages (eliminate alternate character creation methods, any mention of classes or races not in the book, or higher-level play, cut deity list)
Races -8 pages; cut races to human, elf, dwarf, and halfling.
Classes -149 pages; cut classes to cleric, fighter, rogue, and wizard, and eliminate powers beyond 3rd level (it looks like if you cut the half-page opening picture you can cut classes to five pages using basically the same format). Also cut everything on paragon paths and epic destinies.
Skills - unchanged
Feats - -10 pages; eliminate all paragon and epic tier feats, racial feats that apply to omitted races or classes, multiclass feats, channel divinity feats for omitted deities
Equipment - -20 pages; eliminate level 6+ items, vastly reduce set of available items, eliminate some equipment
Adventuring - unchanged
Combat - unchanged
Rituals - -10 pages; eliminate all level 4+ rituals
Eliminate playtester credits, ads- -2 pages

That gives you 120 pages; probably blow that up to 128 (you'll need some monsters and DM advice, and you've got 32-page bundles anyway).

OK. This is a reasonable estimate and it doesn't include monsters, a DM section or any sample adventure material. Adding any of that and you go way beyond being able to offer a boxed set at anything close to that price.

This brings to light the fact that the "essential" D&D ruleset is too bloated to be intro boxed set friendly. Perhaps its time to recreate a simplified basic game with complete rules that fit nicely into a boxed set. It would be a great introduction game for casuals and honestly, the hard core gamers would buy products for both. I started playing AD&D in 1983 but I still continued to buy products for Basic (especially the Companion and Master boxed sets) and it didn't diminish my desire for more AD&D products. I guess the major factor that made this possible was the relative compatibility of those product lines. It was an easy task to take a Basic D&D adventure and run it with AD&D. I have spoken with a few people that thought that Keep on the Borderlands was 1E because they played it with those rules. This can work if marketed and implemented correctly.

I agree that character creation rules are really what sets D&D apart from a boardgame. A pre-gens only set removes a crucial element of what D&D is about and how different it is than any type of board game. A pre-gen set is like fantasy Monopoly, only you get to be a human fighter instead of the shoe.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I guess I disagree with some of the posters here. I loved the 3E and 3.5 Starters with the pre-gens. Character creation is a barrier to playing for the first couple of sessions. A self-taught group of noobs wants to start playing as quickly as possible.

10-15 minutes to read the rules, then start playing
vs.
learn the rules, create a character, come back next week and then we'll start a game

Remember, the Starter Set is best for people who don't have someone to teach them the game.

edit: And while I will miss the minis, $16.95 is a better price point for an intro product than $25.

I guess I disagree with some of the posters here. I loved the 3E and 3.5 Starters with the pre-gens. Character creation is a barrier to playing for the first couple of sessions. A self-taught group of noobs wants to start playing as quickly as possible.

vs.
learn the rules, create a character, come back next week and then we'll start a game

Remember, the Starter Set is best for people who don't have someone to teach them the game.

edit: And while I will miss the minis, $16.95 is a better price point for an intro product than $25.

I have nothing against including pre-gens but the set should include more than ONLY pre-gens. That way you have your quick start and more depth too.

Imaro

Legend

vs.

I just wanted to point out that the 3.5 basic set with the black dragon, did have streamlined character creation rules for 3.5 (I think up to 2nd or 3rd level.). How is it that 4e is suppose to be so much more streamlined than 3.5...but this isn't accomplishable with 4e?

I actually thought including these "simpler" rules was a great idea (especially since a character created with them could still be used in a full core game). My 9 year old son created his character with those rules and was still able to play with the rest of the group.

Remove ads