• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Starter Set: Except 7

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I already miss the elegance of the 4e stat block. And, the lack of description for the Nothic is criminal. How could a new DM run one?

It's a stat block in an adventure in a $12 starter box which seeks to be as concise as possible. I'm sure the description will be in the room description or what-have-you. They can't keep repeating luff text without making the boxed set cost more.

The Monster Manual will have a description, ecology, picture, favourite colour, and what he did last summer.

Blackbrrd

First Post
I see there is some misconceptions here regarding what the Challenge [rating] of a monster actually means.

From what I can remember Challenge is just a sanity check to see if you should use the monster against PC's of a certain level or not.
If it has Challenge 2, you should only use it vs PC's of level 2 or above. The xp value is what you actually use to build the encounter. The reason for this divide is that you can have monsters with different xp values, but the same challenge value. It's probably pretty clearly explained in the DMG. It's kind of hard to make a good example without the table with xp values and some monsters, so I am going to skip that.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Hey, if there is s description in the adventure, great. As for the stat block, it is about using ability scores, and not 4 defenses, which I knew was coming. ......

SigmaOne

First Post
I already miss the elegance of the 4e stat block. And, the lack of description for the Nothic is criminal. How could a new DM run one?

It was mentioned that these are probably from the Bestiary, hence extra monsters. Monsters appearing in the adventure will probably have descriptions in the adventure. This leaves more room for more monsters.

Also, it only takes a Google search to see pictures.

Also, imagination. That was all we had back in the day. It's still the best tool we have today.

Blackbrrd

First Post
There is one thing I hope they fix, and that's the formatting of the ability stat block. They should remove emphasis of the stat, since it won't be used most of the time.

Instead of writing
Str
18 (+4)

They should have written:
Str
+4
(18)

SigmaOne

First Post
There is one thing I hope they fix, and that's the formatting of the ability stat block. They should remove emphasis of the stat, since it won't be used most of the time.

Instead of writing
Str
18 (+4)

They should have written:
Str
+4
(18)

I'm sure most people agree with you. My fiancée, who is brand new to D&D with the 5e playtest, was commenting how nice it was that the bonuses are predominant in the pregen character sheets, since that's what's relevant. I get that. But something AD&D in me wants to put the focus on the sore itself. After only a little playtime, the bonuses are second nature anyway. I'll get over it though.

Blackbrrd

First Post
I'm sure most people agree with you. My fiancée, who is brand new to D&D with the 5e playtest, was commenting how nice it was that the bonuses are predominant in the pregen character sheets, since that's what's relevant. I get that. But something AD&D in me wants to put the focus on the sore itself. After only a little playtime, the bonuses are second nature anyway. I'll get over it though.
Yeah, I thought of it because of the character sheet where this is "fixed". It's just a minor detail though.

Remove ads