• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starting a new Very Low Magic setting, advice on mundane tricks/ideas.

PureGoldx58

First Post
[MENTION=99604]Ragmon[/MENTION] I plan to use my imagination against everything, with the ability to back it up with combat rolls. Also I have a link to at least 15 equipment handbooks that I know of, it was a great suggestion I've been using.

PBEM66

First Post
Thanks for all the ideas, I forgot how useful smokesticks can be! I'm not the biggest fan of the tanglefoot bag and the other bag, it has always seemed either too weak or too easy for a situation, I don't like I win buttons ALL the time.

I've already taken many of the hiding spot stuff in the Complete Scoundrel, head to toe hiding something in and around every corner, crease, and orifice.

What book are Screaming Arrows in? The Magic Item Compendium? Or something else?

CALTROPS! How could I forget! I love those guys!

Screaming arrows are real items, I'm not sure there are stats specifically for them... They are likely more expensive than standard arrows...

Oh, and don't forget string and bells for an alarm system....

PureGoldx58

First Post
Ah, actual items from real life? That requires DM approval and she is afraid of anything I ask her. :p

Who needs string, when you have unlimited free slings!

Razjah

Explorer
Art of War is great, but I think it loses just a bit with fantasy. Almost all of it great and useful, but for the PCs (if they aren't actually commanding a whole army) I think the Black Company is better for emulation because it so often focuses on small units doing stuff. A few guys hunt down the Limper, small groups working to hunt down Rebel cells, the company using only a few men to accomplish something because of how feared they become, and other things like that.

Also Croaker is pretty funny sometimes. Even if you don't use anything from them, go read the books!

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Art of War is great, but I think it loses just a bit with fantasy. Almost all of it great and useful, but for the PCs (if they aren't actually commanding a whole army) I think the Black Company is better for emulation because it so often focuses on small units doing stuff. A few guys hunt down the Limper, small groups working to hunt down Rebel cells, the company using only a few men to accomplish something because of how feared they become, and other things like that.

Certainly. I meant the attitude. Never get into a fight you haven't already won, etc.

Also Croaker is pretty funny sometimes. Even if you don't use anything from them, go read the books!

They are just about my favorite fantasy novels. I cannot recommend them enough.

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
A suggestion to your DM for how to introduce the more magic-using classes. Have characters need to reach 6th level to take the 1st level in those classes, or an even higher level.

Razjah

Explorer
A suggestion to your DM for how to introduce the more magic-using classes. Have characters need to reach 6th level to take the 1st level in those classes, or an even higher level.

Setting a level cap on caster classes could be another (similar) option. Perhaps PCs can only take a caster class every 3 levels or every 2 for classes that don't get 9th level spells (like Bard).

PureGoldx58

First Post
I don't know what she plans to do with them later, but when I asked her she said they just don't exist yet, magic is too new in this world. Which makes sense that the most powerful caster would be a bard. Also we are starting at level 8, it is a pretty high level and I don't think she realizes how awkward it is going to be to fight anything from the MM without decent magical gear, but I am making due with the best sword magic I can find.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
There's a free supplement at Sean K. Reynold's website called "The New Argonauts". Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, I CANNOT link it until I have made ten posts. If you search |"new argonauts" sean k reynolds| on Google it is the first result.
This is an amazing 3.0 setting book for classical mythology designed by Sean K. Reynolds, who may as well be Prometheus for the purposes of D&D. I'd consider looking at the rules in here and to consider adapting them for your campaign.

And it is free.

Remove ads