• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stat Block VS. Stat Layout

See the post!

• I like the stat block

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I like the stat layout

Votes: 33 55.9%
  • I dont like either. (give us an example of what you like)

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I would like to see both in a PDF product.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I would like to see both in a print product.

Votes: 6 10.2%

ichabod

Legned
Geist said:
so you find the statblock easier to reference while in game? or just like the fact that it takes up less space in your paperwork?

It takes up less space. I run combat on a spreadsheet, so the statblock gives me maximum information in the limited space on the screen.

Sir Whiskers

First Post
For pdf's, I want both, with the layouts in the back (1 character/monster on a page). This way I can print just the ones I need for a given session, while the main product doesn't inflate to an unmanageable size.

For print products, I can live with just stat blocks to save space, but I'd really like to see publishers post stat layouts in a downloadable file. As a buyer, I'd then get the best of both worlds.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Davelozzi said:
Layout for monster books or anywhere else where a new monster is being introduced with full description. Stat blocks are better for adventures, to conserve space.

Yep. Plus I find being able to have multiple critters on the same sheet handy - less flipping. I just recently started putting a box for HP in the margin for each critter, makes life much easier.

Having the full layout when the creature is first described makes it easier to picture in my mind just what it can do.

So, both.

The Auld Grump

Wormwood

Adventurer
I've written out so many stat-blocks that I feel like I could do them in my sleep.

Layouts are easier for pulling out specific info, but I can navigate stat-blocks well enough to prefer them overall.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Depends on the setup. If it's an accessory or something larger than a standard module, full layout. If it's a module or a large campaign book, stat block or even stat blurbs are fine.

Geist

First Post
So im getting a feeling that Larger format books people want to see statblocks. and in smaller having both or the stat layout?

Erratic K

First Post
ichabod said:
I prefer layout when prepping for game, and stat block when running the game. For adventures I would prefer to see stat blocks, with the layout in an appendix. For monster books I would prefer to see layouts with all of the stat blocks in .txt or .rtf as a web enhancement.

I couldn't agree more.

I like Monster Manuals to have layout, but to have stat blocks in rtf or txt as web enhancement too. Makes homebrewing sooo much easier (or tweaking existing, because then you can key your own monster conversion).

For adventures, stat block and volume and page reference (so I can go find it in a hurry if I need).

NPC's I like statblock and some where to have a layout or description plus stat block (the begining or end dramatis personae).

-E

Staffan

Legend
I prefer the full layout (well, minus stuff that's not relevant like organization or terrain). It looks better, and works better. When I'm prepping for an adventure, I usually put all the monsters/NPCs into stat layouts because it's a lot more easy to reference than teeny tiny stat blocks.

Kris

Adventurer
In my eyes - the stat block serves it's purpose well - (and must help the publishers of print products with regard to space) - though I do find that I have to spend a little more time scanning the text to find a relevant bonus than if it were in a stat layout format.

Obviously for monster books (or the introduction of a new critter) a full layout and description is more desirable (at least in my opinion).

But what I would really like to see is the inclusion of a statblock where necessary and then either pullout's or web enhancements that are in the form of 'Monster Cards' - perhaps fitting 4 to a page, that would display the monster/npc in more of a 'stat layout' way.

Publishers could even offer several different sets of 'Monster Cards' for the same adventure (to either higher or lower the EL for the encounters) - thus making it instantly scalable with minimal fuss on the DM's part. :D

Remove ads