• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stat that movie!

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Chun-tzu said:
Thanks for the compliments, guys.

I'm not clear on why the Samurai class seems inappropriate to you, Furn. It's much like the Fighter (he's got to have many levels in at least one or the other, seeing how many feats he's got), minus heavy armor, and more skill points and better skills.

But doesn't the class also revolve around the connection with the two swords?

His Strength is no more than above average

He does lug around a boulder in the jumping episode.

Jack also doesn't go around cutting off many heads, so vorpal may not be the best descriptor. But I would add Keen.

Heh, I thought he cut off at least one robot head per episode! ;)

FD

Chun-tzu

First Post
Furn_Darkside said:
But doesn't the class also revolve around the connection with the two swords?

Hmm, I guess. By standard OA rules, all Samurai begin with a daisho. This would be one of those rules gaffes.

Furn_Darkside said:
He does lug around a boulder in the jumping episode.

Oh yeah. I wasn't too thrilled with that method of training. It seemed they felt like adding a wu xia element, a la Crouching Tiger, but in those movies, it's based more on mental or spiritual enlightenment. In DnD, that would be an ability increase due to level. I was originally thinking of the episode where the Scotsman needs Jack's help, but Jack has to throw a boulder to prove himself. He couldn't throw it that far, but tossed the big guy instead.

Hey, I'm watching Samurai Jack right now, and Cartoon Network just said that the Samurai Jack trilogy has been nominated for an Emmy, in Outstanding Animated Program. Awesome!

Scupper

First Post
Scooby Doo

Characters

Norville "Shaggy" Roberts - All jokes about his supposed status as a pothead/flower child notwithstanding, Shaggy is clearly a very low-level druid. Though he is not seen creating infusions, it is clear that Scooby Snacks are Constitution and Will-enhancing alchemical items of that nature, and he'd need to be a druid to activate them. He had an animal companion (Scooby, who is now awakened and a standard companion instead) and virtually no combat ability whatsoever. Shaggy may, in fact, be a half-elf, as he clearly has not received the bonus feat at first level that a human would get. We'll call Shaggy an Expert 1/2 (emphasizing driving and mechanical skills)/Druid 1/2 (using the optional "multiclassed first level characters" rule from the DMG). His only decent stats are Constitution (he makes a lot of Fort saves against being knocked unconscious by pratfalls) and Strength (ever try holding a cowering Great Dane in your arms?) Shaggy's Will rolls are always pathetic and his Dexterity is abysmal. Feats include Run.

Scooby - Scooby was probably originally Shaggy's dog animal companion, having gone through some sort of awakening. Other than being a talking dog, Scooby can't do much. Of course, he has the scent special ability. Let's say Scooby is a Commoner 1. His stats are probably similar to Shaggy's, though he is not as strong. Feats include Run.

Daphne Blake - Daphne is probably just an NPC who tags along. The DM might have imposed her on the party as an easy "carrot" to drive the party to some conclusion, as she is kidnapped and/or separated from the group on a regular basis. commoner 1 with high Charisma and abysmal Intelligence and Wisdom. Feats include Run.

Fred Jones - Aside from Velma, Fred has the only brain in the bunch, and even he's no Einstein. We'll be generous and give him an Intelligence of 12. Expert 1, specializing in Search, Spot, etc. Seems to have a high Charisma, as Daphne digs him. Feats include Run.

Velma Dinkley - The real brains of the operation, Velma is pretty quick on the uptake, though she seems to have some sort of Anti-Alertness feat, particularly when she loses her spectacles of vision[/b]. Velma's certainly no beauty and her personality grates a bit, too, indicating a low Charisma. She's moderately intelligent and perceptive, however, probably in the 13-14 range in each. Expert 1, emphasizing Profession (Investigator). Feats include Run.

Highlights and Gaffes

Are you kidding? There's no combat and no actual spellcasting, so D&D can hardly begin to describe the action, mechanically. There are a lot of failed Sense Motive rolls and a good number of failed Jump, Climb and Swim rolls, as well as flubbed Reflex saves.

The Mystery Machine gang's adventures are so broad in scope that a single summation can hardly suffice. Nonetheless, I will try:

They go someplace that is supposedly haunted, but it's actually a minor character from earlier in the story in disguise. Scooby and Shaggy are bribed with food. Velma (or sometimes Fred) explains the mystery at the end of the show.

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Chun-tzu said:
I was originally thinking of the episode where the Scotsman needs Jack's help, but Jack has to throw a boulder to prove himself. He couldn't throw it that far, but tossed the big guy instead.

Hmm- good point.

Perhaps he has an epic feat that gives him a str bonus, but only when in combat.

FD

tleilaxu

First Post
Heavy Metal - Taarna segment

Taarna: Clearly a Paladin and most likely high level. First, Taarna has a Special Mount which is not one of the normal choices. It is some kind of flying bird. It seems quite intelligent so we will give it maximum advancement, putting Taarna somewhere between 15th and 20th level. We never see Taarna remove disease or cast Paladin spells (barring some kind of lightning thing at the end) but she does possibly lay on hands to her mount before they fly off for the last time. Taarna obviously follows a paladin code of conduct, part of which may include a vow of silence. Taarna generally has high stats, although her Str and Con do not seem to be exceptional.

We will call her a 15th level paladin, with weapon focus in longsword, and cleave. (the longsword is most likely vorpal)

Barbarian leader: The barbarian leader must have levels in barbarian of course. Make him a barbarian 12th level, with Exotic Weapon proficiency in his mechanical hand and the Leadership feat.

The town council is clearly made up of wizards, who cast Sending or Demand[/color] to summon Taarna. They are most likely lower level, averaging perhaps 5th, with the leader high enough level to cast the spell (9th level for sending or 17th for demand).

HIGHLIGHTS AND GAFFES

In the beginning we see a group of barbarians (likely 1st level warriors and 1st level barbarians) invade a town full of 1st level commoners and experts. The wizards? in charge of town summon Taarna, likely with use of the sending spell.

In the bar fight Taarna demonstrates her Cleave ability and possibly the Vorpal properties of her weapon by decapitating two Barbarians with a single swing of her sword (obviously she rolled a crit and may even have improved critical).

When Taarna is captured by the barbarians she obviously missed her Reflex save of the trap (i'd say it was DC 20).

No real gaffes but the nature of the spell Taarna casts at the end is a mystery

Ferret

Explorer
C.M.O.T Dibbler, Rogue/Expert(Selling)

Dragon heart

Draco Bronze dragon

Bowen Ex-paladin4/Ranger 3/fighter 4

The evil bloke was like a familliar? Or somthing?

Remove ads