• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Stat the Dragonlance heroes

ECMO3

Hero
Yes. They're all fairly simple archetypes, which is why they work so well.

Laurana obviously has the Noble background, and is a Rogue. You could make her a Crown Paladin.

Sturm is a Devotion Paladin. with the Noble background.

Laurana is definitely a fighter IMO. Probably a Banneret thematically, with superior technique fighting style and commanding presence maneuver.

Gilthanus is probably an Eldritch Knight or maybe a Ranger. I would say bladesinger, but since he never did the trials he could not be a high level caster.

Riverwind Barbarian, Eagle or Elk.

Tika - I want to make her a Rogue but the frying pan does not work with Rogue. So I will say she is a Champion, but she gets unarmed fighting style and the tavern brawler feat. I would be inclined to say she is a multiclass thief.

Tasselhof - Swashbuckler Rogue with criminal background.

Raistlan is a war wizard, mercenary background.

Flint is a hill dwarf battlemaster, quick toss, tactical assessment, probably precision.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
For those interested, here are the characters' original stats from DL1:
1644131553693.png

pnewman

Adventurer
Tika has the "Tavern Worker" background from "Durnan's Guide to Tavernkeeping"

"You’ve spent years working in a tavern: pouring drinks for thirsty patrons, mopping floors, preparing food, or waiting tables. Your rough-and-tumble life has been lit by torchlight and wreathed in pipe smoke, but the experience has shaped you into the person you are now: sharp-tongued, thick-skinned, and worldly wise."

That was all written later, so I'm inclined to go with the character as he existed when he was first written. The Dragonlance "EU" is generally hit or miss - some of it is quite enjoyable, but others not so much, creating too many contradictions and plot holes.

Not if you go off the book lore.

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
But what was Raistlin’s level by the end of Dragon lance?

I'd say at least 30-40 (If I recall correctly, he was battling gods near the end)

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
But what was Raistlin’s level by the end of Dragon lance?

I'd say at least 30-40 (If I recall correctly, he was battling gods near the end)
He eventually went outside the scope of a player character, but at the time, the game rules capped Dragonlance heroes at 18th level. After that, the gods removed you from play.

delericho

Legend
Given where they come from, I really think that the Heroes of the Lance as we find them at the start of the first "Dragons of Autumn Twilight" (and likewise the Companions of the Hall at the start of "The Crystal Shard") should be possible to model as 1st level characters - more than that, it really should be possible to model them using the same rules as players are expected to use for their characters (no absurdly over-inflated ability scores).

After all, if the iconic D&D characters at the start of their careers can't match up with D&D characters at the start of their careers, surely something is wrong?

Given where they come from, I really think that the Heroes of the Lance as we find them at the start of the first "Dragons of Autumn Twilight" (and likewise the Companions of the Hall at the start of "The Crystal Shard") should be possible to model as 1st level characters - more than that, it really should be possible to model them using the same rules as players are expected to use for their characters (no absurdly over-inflated ability scores).

After all, if the iconic D&D characters at the start of their careers can't match up with D&D characters at the start of their careers, surely something is wrong?
The main issue with this is the shared backstory for taking down the cult in Haven (for the innfellows) and the first foray into Cak Tsaroth (river wind). They have some adventure under their belt more so than just “grew up learning how to use a sword”.

we recently started a 5e Dragonlance autumn twilight game and went 7th level (we only have 4 players and the recommended is 6+ 5th level) and it’s been challenging as is

delericho

Legend
The main issue with this is the shared backstory for taking down the cult in Haven (for the innfellows) and the first foray into Cak Tsaroth (river wind). They have some adventure under their belt more so than just “grew up learning how to use a sword”.

Not a problem. Background is background, even if the player writes several hundred pages of it. 😁

cynn78

Explorer
In recreating Raistlin or any of the Heroes of the Lance, I'd argue that you'd really need to ignore anything not specifically written by Weis and Hickmann. Not to discount those that came after or their work, however, you are essentially taking a conversion and converting it more by accepting Cam Banks work for example.

Raistlin is not a Warlock, it's pretty clear in the books that he memorizes spells as a wizard. Explaining the connection to Fistandantalus need not be a game mechanic. It's been 30 years since i've read the original trilogy, though I'd highly recommend that be a requirement for someone to recreate these characters, that way you have a better idea of sort of School specialization Raistlin would have. Enchantment feels wrong to me as that's a Black Robe wizard specialization. Illusion is more likely where Raistlin would start.

Remove ads