Dragonlance Stat the Dragonlance heroes

The one that bugged me was Raistlin's 17 INT. He's supposedly able to read books none of the other mages can at a young age, so theoretically he has to be smarter than all of them, ie a freak-of-nature INT 19, since we assume at least some mages have INT 18.

He was reading Magical books (Spellbooks). So he was actually using Read Magic.

As a child. With no training.

Something that would be pretty easy to emulate with a 'Prodigal spellcaster feat' or simply as just fluff.

Pauln6

Hero
There are definite issues with some of the stats compared to the way some of the characters were written too. I did a 4th edition conversion of Goldmoon where she started off as a bard, with abilities refluffed. Although 5e bards are more spell orientated, I would probably still do that in 5e and then kick her off as a level 1 cleric after that. The presence of a cleric is not so crucial in 5e and the staff does the heavy lifting.

I think I would start Raistlin off with Con 8 and Int 18 because the stat range is slightly different to 1e. Intelligence 9 used to be average for example now Tas and Tika are below average and Flint is below the usual PC range. Gilthanas probably needs an overhaul too.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
There are definite issues with some of the stats compared to the way some of the characters were written too. I did a 4th edition conversion of Goldmoon where she started off as a bard, with abilities refluffed. Although 5e bards are more spell orientated, I would probably still do that in 5e and then kick her off as a level 1 cleric after that. The presence of a cleric is not so crucial in 5e and the staff does the heavy lifting.

I think I would start Raistlin off with Con 8 and Int 18 because the stat range is slightly different to 1e. Intelligence 9 used to be average for example now Tas and Tika are below average and Flint is below the usual PC range. Gilthanas probably needs an overhaul too.

There was a weird thing where the mathematical average was 10.5 (expected value of 3d6), but the 'average' rating in the Monster Manual went 8-10, so in the very same book the intelligence rating for humans ('men' since this was 1977) was 'Mean: average-very', 'very' being 11-12.

'Mean' and 'average' being synonyms, of course...just like 'wraith', 'spectre', and 'ghost', all of which were separate monsters.

Early D&D was kind of funny.

Gadget

Adventurer
I had always seen Tanis as a Ranger type, what with the hunting leathers and being a woodsy type. But in 1e Rangers had spells that would complicate matters (though they didn't get them until a higher level than later editions). I could see him as a fighter, maybe battle master with more leadership type maneuvers, and the archery feats with an outlander background.

Cameron could be a champion fighter with a folk hero or mercenary background, but later on he becomes a gladiator and general, so battle master might be more appropriate.

Riverwind as a hunter Ranger with the Tribe Member or Outlander background seems fine. Gooldmoon as a life cleric & noble background, with restricted access to spells (via the Blue Crystal Staff). Tas as Rogue with far wander background seems good. Flint would be a fighter champion with an Artisan background might be the best fit.

I would put Strum as a Samurai or Cavalier with the Knight of the Order background. I would lean more towards Samurai, as Strum doesn't do a whole lot of cavalry work. Tika could be a Rogue, maybe a fighter with the Folk hero background.

Remove ads