State of Comics in 2023?

Clint_L

Hero
I shifted to almost exclusive buying TPBs around a decade ago. It’s more cost effective, you get a complete story, and by mostly sticking to indie comics I don’t have keep up with ridiculously convoluted continuity.

Last edited:

Today I have bought my last comic of "Mortadelo y Filemon" (Mort & Phil). Their creator, Francisco Ibañez, died a couple of months ago, in July of this year.

9788402428868.webp

Translation: "I WARNED YOU, FOR AROUND THE WORLD DON'T TRUST THE AIRPLANE REPAIRED BY THOSE GOTERA AND OTILIO*!"
* Pepe Gotera and Otilio are other two characters also created by Ibañez and with a deserve fame to be a couple of complete bunglers.

The death of the artist Francisco Ibañez closes an important age of the Spanish comic. If is the end of one of our most loved memories from the childhoof of millions of Spaniards. If you ask some Spaniard, this could confirm Mortadelo and Filemon are the most famous characters from Spanish comics. Mortadelo is very popular thanks his special talent to dress up as anything.

114.jpg

Translation: "WELL NOW, IF THEY LAUGH AT YOU GET UP WITH IT, I TOLD YOU YOU READ IT WRONG, THE NOTICE SAID "MISSION IN GALIXIA", GALIXIA, NO GALAXY! And the name of the pub is, in Galician languange: "Bar the sardine of Galicia" (Galicia is a Spanish region in the North-West, further North of Portugal).

Remove ads