• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stealth Flow Chart

Storminator

First Post
I added a "I've got stealth" part in v2 which is marked in blue...it mentions that if you make an attack you have combat advantage and I only took into account what I thought was a passive action on the creatures turn...

so the chart does not take into account if a creature actively searches or if they make a wild attack that hits because I feel that those would need their own charts and the results are pretty self explanitory... if the active search beats the stealth the target is seen... if the attack some how hits the target is seen...

I agree that it is kind of silly that I felt it worth while to create a flow chart...I think the PHB could have had some stuff to help clear up confusion...

Thanks for all of your feedback.

In V2, can't you go from "I take an action" out the "Movement or Maintain Stealth" branch and go right to v1's "Stealth Check Against Creatures" box?

PS

Festivus

First Post
Hmm, what about:

Stealth check against creatures
|
Do you have cover or concealment, or is the target distracted?
|
yes
|
Does the DM allow for the stealth check (silly question IMO)
|
yes
|
Do you have superior cover or total concealment
|
yes
|
Add 10 to your die roll
|
Perception Check (by monsters)
|
Does it beat your DC?
|
Yes
|
Creature spots you

It would streamline the chart a bit if nothing else.

Storminator

First Post
I think my version includes everything in yours except the check with the DM box (because I consider that a given...).

Lemme know what you think...

PS

Edit: Oh yeah, it's a little blurry since I was trying to keep the size down (and I'm fiddling with a trial version...)

Attachments

• StealthFlowChartv3.jpg
    StealthFlowChartv3.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 135

Miar

First Post
Thats because (as I understand it) this is debated, and has been given contradictory answers from Customer service. I have not seen them, so someone correct me if this is just rumor, but I've seen several people reference them.

Awesome chart, thanks!

That's just it having the flow chart showing the debated points and that the were debated and the results would make it easier to take in the debate at a glance. It would be easier for a group to come some decision without having to go through the entire debate fresh. It would make it easier to try it a couple of ways to see which way was most comfortable.

Destil

Explorer
You need a branch for 'Does the DM use passive perception for NPCs instead of rolls?' Where it says Perception check.

Xorn

First Post
Success: You avoid notice, unheard and hidden from view. If you later attack or shout, you're no longer hidden.

Please reread your book.

Success: You avoid notice, unheard and hidden from view. If you later attack or shout, you're no longer hidden.

He's bolding the word avoid, you're bolding the words unheard and hidden. Read his post, because he read his book already. The biggest thing that is so stupid about this all--not to trivialize the efforts on this chart--

The only question I think most of us want answered is:

Can I use stealth to gain combat advantage in combat using regular cover/concealment, and what are the mechanics, if so?

CSRs say yes to the first half of the question, and then give completely contradictory answers for the mechanics.

So it's a judgement call in the end--and judgement calls that happen multiple times per round in combat are stupid.

And I won't get into what the tactics sections of the monster manual and KotS suggest, but it supports the AVOIDS notice emphasis.

Remove ads