• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Steam and Steel - A Guide to Fantasy Steamworks - extra teaser posted 4/27/04

TheAuldGrump

First Post
HellHound said:
Thanks for the review, AuldGrump!

Would you consider cross-posting it to our reviews section here on E.N.World?

Heck, if you want to expand on it, also consider the reviews section at RPG.net

Expanded the review and sent it in to RPG.Net.

I would have sent it in to E. N. World's reviews as well, but the drop down menu does not list Steam & Steel yet. (Shame, shame!) When this changes I will add the review. (Silly drop down menus! :p )

The Auld Grump, who even wrote it in Wordpad rather than a word processer...

*EDIT* Added product, still have to wait until it is approved...

Last edited:

Zym

First Post
Yes, I finally got it to add to my basket. :D

They gave me some business about not connecting to their site through a link or some such. I just kept trying over and over (after having manually typed the link in and cleared my cache, cookies, etc.....nothing helped, then suddenly it just added when I tried again later in the day). So no real idea on that.

Anyhow, all purchased, DL'ed, burned and given an initial browse.

Been a tad busy day, so I didn't get as much digging time as I hoped but so far I'm a quite pleased.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Glad you finally managed to download it.

Sent in my review, 'case you couldn't guess it was positive. :p

Sat down with it last night and today picking and choosing from all the options. Then sat down and modified some of the adventure that I am currently running to incorporate the new material. The timing on this coming out just made it possible to add to the current sceenario, which it fits into quite well.

The PCs are investigating a crafter's guild with shadowy connections to a rogue cult of the local machine god. Added several of the creatures from the Beasts of Steel section, and gave one of the priests some prosthetics... One of the creatures in Beasts of Steel is a template for mechanized critters. Added it to a few giant praying mantises. Currently it is set up to prove a challenge to the rogue in the party, who is scouting it out. If more players decide to join the fun I will add some mechanized hounds as well. I am hoping they will assume the creatures are merely constructs, so when they begin bleeding it may prove a bit of a shock.

The Auld Grump, who spent some time modifying the map as well to add the 'kennels' for the poor beasties...

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Carnifex said:
Zym - glad to hear it finally worked for you :)

TheAuldGrump - thanks a lot for the reviews :D How did the adventure go?

Not exactly sure... The rogue got so worried about the steam mantises that he decided to bluff his way in through the front door instead of burgling the place. He actually conned them into a guided tour, and will be sneaking in (or trying) next week to get a look at the areas they didn't show him. Sad thing is, he could probably taken the things on. They are actually weaker than the big lumbering steam golem at the front door, their main advantage is that they can react outside of the parameters that the steam golem is limited to. (While the bodies look insectile the brains are those of mastiffs...)

I am using Iron Kingdoms, and the party is afraid that they might be facing bonejacks...

The Auld Grump, still waiting on so many things... IKCG, IKWG, World Work's Maiden of the High Seas, Mongoose's Bloodline... But at least I have Steam & Steel and Dark Ages: Fae to keep me busy...

Remove ads