Steampunk golem?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I would just just reskin the descriptions of an existing construct of the appropriate CR. Modify a few minor abilities to be more thematically appropriate if necessary. There are a ton of 3e monsters so there is no real shortage of existing construct statblocks if you want.

But part of the fun of the game is filling in gaps by developing systems to cover things not in the game already, answering questions like how much water and fuel a steam golem needs to function, how long can you fight in steam powered armour, and other things you need to steam power rules for so you have to homebrew.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
But part of the fun of the game is filling in gaps by developing systems to cover things not in the game already, answering questions like how much water and fuel a steam golem needs to function, how long can you fight in steam powered armour, and other things you need to steam power rules for so you have to homebrew.

“A big part of the costs of creating a steam golem comes in the creating the water and fire chambers at the heart of its power. Not just in the materials required, but in the fine and complicated magecraft involved. The water chamber must be made to contain a tiny but stable portal to the Elemental Plane of Water (EPoW); the fire chamber likewise connected to the EPoF. Only thus will the created be capable of sustained activity, independent of the huge amount of fuel that would otherwise be required.

Some truly inspired golem makers have also been known to streamline this to a single chamber connected to the Paraelemental Plane of Steam.”

~ On Making Men: a Golem-Maker’s Guide, chapter 17, Master Czepetto

Voadam

Legend

Tastes vary.

Since I dislike significant resource management and tracking time developing more fine-grained systems to do so does not appeal to me.

I personally would much prefer to take inspiration from say the War Machine's miniature game for the steampunk aesthetics, apply their descriptions to CR appropriate existing statblocks and just go.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Tastes vary.

Since I dislike significant resource management and tracking time developing more fine-grained systems to do so does not appeal to me.

I personally would much prefer to take inspiration from say the War Machine's miniature game for the steampunk aesthetics, apply their descriptions to CR appropriate existing statblocks and just go.

That just seems boring to me, it is purely cosmetic. At least come up with a theory for how things are supposed to work, don't be a lazy writer.

Remove ads