• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Steve Kenson's ICONS: Superpowered Roleplaying from Adamant Entertainment

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
It's -5 to 5 right? Just add 7 to to those and do 2d6. The +7 can be all done ahead of play so your numbers are all 2-12.

"You must spread some Experience Points around before giving it to darjr again."

Great idea, for the mathematically challenged. Maybe write 'em down on an index card first. In fact, they probably could have just included a chart with that conversion on it like they did for other things, like the random character creation charts.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Has anyone else picked this up yet, and are you as excited about this game as I am? Anyone got any questions about it? Wanna start sharing hero and villain builds? B-)

I was thinking of building a php database site with a character creator (other homework assignments got in the way of my php work). The only SRD info I was going to put on the site was the powers/skill descriptions. I might also include the ability to download character sheets (Hurray for cannon fodder!).

After looking through the rules, I also started thinking about how you could use ICONS for non super powered games (gadget and "techno-wizardy" only). Basically, in this version of ICONS levels would basically determine good your equipment is. Only problem Ihave with this idea is that deducting a determination point for each "equipment" piece seems harsh. Then again.. Having lots of material goods doesn't mean you can be adaptable if say.. something breaks, which was why Mac Guyver kicked all sorts of butt.

Last edited:

erf_beto

First Post
Not sure I like the dice mechanics. The 1d6-1d6 rule is a non-starter for me (as in, I'm not going to bother because it is too goofy), but the 2d6-7 version looks playable. Makes me wonder why he didn't just go with a 3d6 curve. :erm:
OR, you could roll 1d6, add only your bonuses, then let the Gamemaster roll 1d6 and add his bonus (you know, the penalties you'd take) and subtract them from your total.

Kinda like, opposed checks... now, where have we seen that before? :hmm:

:p

SuperChris

First Post
You know these are exactly the same, statistically, right?

Yes, I'm quite aware of that, thanks. The mechanic (1d6-1d6) just seems clunky and pointless. I brought it up to four of my gamer friends the other night they all had basically the same reaction. 2d6-7 is just simpler to deal with.

SuperChris

First Post
OR, you could roll 1d6, add only your bonuses, then let the Gamemaster roll 1d6 and add his bonus (you know, the penalties you'd take) and subtract them from your total.

Kinda like, opposed checks... now, where have we seen that before? :hmm:

:p

I think, speaking as a GM, I like the idea of not having to pick up any dice. :)

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Yes, I'm quite aware of that, thanks. The mechanic (1d6-1d6) just seems clunky and pointless. I brought it up to four of my gamer friends the other night they all had basically the same reaction. 2d6-7 is just simpler to deal with.
I'm not doubting you. I just find it odd, since -- completely objectively speaking -- (2d6)-7 is one more computational step than 1d6-1d6. (I suppose they're the same, if you count "pick the red die" as a step.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads