• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Still no SRD for 3rd party companies

delericho

Legend
Wolfspider said:
Ahh, so it's not lack of resources...it's just poor management of them.

I don't think that's terribly fair. What I described is an absolutely classic mistake made by managers throughout the software industry. Looked at from the outside, it's absolutely obvious. But, when you're actually there, and actually in the situation, it's very very tempting to think that adding people to the team (and good people at that) will bring things back under control, instead of causing them to get worse.

Of course, this is all speculation anyway. We really don't know what's going on inside WotC.

Twowolves

Explorer
Nightchilde-2 said:
Regardless, basing your entire business on a release from one other, single company is perhaps not the wisest move ever...

So, you'd prefer that no one produces 3rd party support for D&D 4th ed? Because that's the vibe I'm getting from you and Mourn and a few others in this thread. "That's the way the cookie crumbles" and all that.

The best 3rd party 3.5 ed supporting companies (Necro, Green Ronin, Goodman) do not have what they need to support the new edition by launch. They are left twisting in the wind, and in very real danger of getting out of the D&D support business (not their entire buiness, just support for D&D) entirely. That's ok with you?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Piratecat said:
I'd be shocked if they receive it before the PHB is completely finalized.

Agreed. Better to avoid rules errors and conflicts than to pass out the SRDs too soon.

Wolfspider

Explorer
delericho said:
I don't think that's terribly fair. What I described is an absolutely classic mistake made by managers throughout the software industry. Looked at from the outside, it's absolutely obvious. But, when you're actually there, and actually in the situation, it's very very tempting to think that adding people to the team (and good people at that) will bring things back under control, instead of causing them to get worse.

thebuckstopshere.jpg

Of course, this is all speculation anyway. We really don't know what's going on inside WotC.

Quite true.

Abstraction

First Post
Keefe the Thief said:
Yeah, and lot´s of 3rd party companies are going to do it like that. The big problem is printing: it takes time to print stuff, and if your printer tells you "after Date x you won´t get your books for GenCon", that´s that. And for some companies we are already nearing Date x or have crossed over it.
I work at a print shop. We'll do your printing and turn it around inside two weeks up to 6 weeks, depending on difficulty and quantity but no more than that. Shoot me an email if you want some printing quotes. bill at colorquestdurango dot com

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Wolfspider said:
Ahh, so it's not lack of resources...it's just poor management of them.

If by "poor" you mean "about average for the industry", then fine.

Let us please recall that only very rarely do major projects come out on time, within budget, and will all the desired features intact - in almost any industry. If you can do better, go out and do so - you will make so much money and be so incredibly busy that you'll probably find you've no longer got the desire to insult people over this issue.

frankthedm

First Post
Mourn said:
Victim said:
Granting certain publishers early access to the rules seems like a non-competitive practice that really screws over would be d20 companies not granted those advantages.
It's no different than major media outlets being given advanced copies of games and movies to review, while the smaller ones do not. Any
Not the same at all and two wrongs don't make a right, even if it was the same issue.

This is much more akin to a manufacturer only giving the coding specifications for a new video game system to a small group of companies so those companies can have games ready at launch.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Umbran said:
If by "poor" you mean "about average for the industry", then fine.

Let us please recall that only very rarely do major projects come out on time, within budget, and will all the desired features intact - in almost any industry. If you can do better, go out and do so - you will make so much money and be so incredibly busy that you'll probably find you've no longer got the desire to insult people over this issue.

I never claimed to be able to do better. After all, I don't have to be able to do better in order to criticize the way something is done poorly. For example, I don't have to be able to design a car in order to criticize its poor handling and faulty brakes.

I don't think what I said was insulting. If the situation is as was described, then it is mismanagement. I don't know what else to call it. Of course, none of us mere mortals really know what's going on inside WotC, so it's really pointless to debate.

I'm sure if any of the people at WotC are insulted, though, they will take me to task.

I will gladly apologize if that happens. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads