• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Still no SRD for 3rd party companies

The Little Raven

First Post
Wolfspider said:
I think that the Creature Collection is hardly the greatest evil of those early days, but I otherwise agree with your sentiment and hope you're right about WotC.

Well, the CC is the most visible example, because it was the number two market share company (White Wolf, under the SSS banner) and it had a pretty high production value (that cover was awesome).

But... otherwise... wow... dude... we agreed on something! There may be hope for me and my caustic personality!

Wolfspider

Explorer
Mourn said:
Well, the CC is the most visible example, because it was the number two market share company (White Wolf, under the SSS banner) and it had a pretty high production value (that cover was awesome).

But... otherwise... wow... dude... we agreed on something! There may be hope for me and my caustic personality!

Awww...give me a hug!

*cues sappy music*

Scribble

First Post
I agree with the person who said you'll probably see it around Feb.

I don't think there's any great Hasbro Wotc conspiracy. They just don't have the info yet to create the SRD.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Oldtimer said:
I think you're wrong there. Several blog posts have mentioned their use of Agile methodology for this project.

Maybe. Can you find the blog posts, give me a link?

Note that Agile development for Gleemax does not imply agile development in anything else. And, if Gleemax was outsourced... well, I'd be interested in seeing what was going on there...

Scribble

First Post
Umbran said:
Human ability to estimate how long large tasks will take to complete is pretty poor, actually. And out ability to predict the unforeseen is nonexistent.

I remember when I was in school. The rule of thumb for video editing was: Take the amount of time you think you'll need to edit your project and multiply by 2. You'll still probably need more time, but at least it's a start.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Scribble said:
I don't think there's any great Hasbro Wotc conspiracy.
A good conspiracy is an unprovable conspiracy.
-Mel Gibson, Conspiracy Theory

A better conpiracy is one that no one believes in.
-DMcCoy1693, On the Hasbro/WotC Conspiracy

:p

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
Umbran said:
Maybe. Can you find the blog posts, give me a link?
I'll try. It seems Gleemax search is not my friend today.
I could be confused, of course. Maybe it's just Didier Monin's blog posts about DDI development my brain is remembering.

Umbran said:
Note that Agile development for Gleemax does not imply agile development in anything else. And, if Gleemax was outsourced... well, I'd be interested in seeing what was going on there...
Gleemax and DDI are outsourced to Radiant Machine. They certainly use Agile development.

Wolfspider

Explorer
delericho said:
In fact, everything we've been seeing lately (e-Dragon slipping to bi-monthly, Gleemax login problems, the delays in getting the SRD out, the PHB being slipped a month...) could very well have originated by a single problem cropping up just after the GenCon announcement, leading to management adopting an "all hands on deck" strategy of throwing everyone at the project... and making it much later and much less organised.

Ahh, so it's not lack of resources...it's just poor management of them.

Hmmm....

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Voadam said:
Wasn't the Creature Collection written with pre-final rules that ended up being incompatible the 3e norms once final revisions were made.

The actual 3e SRD wasn't released until years after the 3e release IIRC. There was a draft srd and a gentleman's agreement from WotC allowing its use until the srd was actually released.

A big reason why early 3rd party products had things like illithids, beholders, etc. in them which were in the draft srd but not included in the final srd and eventually excluded from 3rd party OGL use as WotC PI later.

Well....

When I first heard about 3e and the SRD, I was considering 3rd-party publishing myself. Months before 3e (not 3.x) was released, there was a mailing list for the OGL. Through gentlemens' agreements and NDAs, the initial SRD was released to publishers on that list. This allowed my nascent "company" to playtest and write a campaign setting (which was never released) by the time 3e hit the shelf.

The SRD was released to the public a few months after 3e was released IIRC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads