• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Still no SRD for 3rd party companies

Psion

Adventurer
Dr. Awkward said:
I wouldn't say haphazard. On a shorter schedule than it ought to be, yes.

Heh. C'mon. I work in an entirely different field, but where we work, when schedule crunch comes, things get--you guessed it--haphazard.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Psion said:
Heh. C'mon. I work in an entirely different field, but where we work, when schedule crunch comes, things get--you guessed it--haphazard.

Eh. When schedule crunch comes where I work, stress levels go up, but things still get done in orderly fashion. That's because the leadership/management is very good at communicating to everyone under them what needs to be done and when and because we have enough resources to get everything done.

I guess I'm lucky in this regard.

I hope WotC is lucky, too.

The Little Raven

First Post
Bacris said:
In my eyes, the beauty of the OGL is that fans of the system can support the systems in areas WotC might not want to or can't, for whatever reason. Telling them to stand on their own merits is kind of a slap in the face to other fans of D&D...

Yeah, they have the benefit of supporting the most popular RPG in the world.

However, that benefit comes with the drawback that you have to wait until Wizards has it's top priorities completed (it's own books ready to roll by the date they set). That's the problem with basing your company's chances for success on another company's product. It sucks, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Mourn said:
Yeah, they have the benefit of supporting the most popular RPG in the world.

However, that benefit comes with the drawback that you have to wait until Wizards has it's top priorities completed (it's own books ready to roll by the date they set). That's the problem with basing your company's chances for success on another company's product. It sucks, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

That may be true, but it's also rather insensitive. We're talking about people's jobs and their ability to support families and children.

Then again, I guess it is all about the bottom line, eh?

The Little Raven

First Post
Wolfspider said:
Interesting that WotC lacks the resources to do both playtest and develop the game and produce an SRD.

Interesting that Wotc lacks the resources to do the things with e-Dragon and e-Dungeon that they'd like to do.

Interesting that people are working so "frantically" on the PHB and other books, trying to get them ready in time.

Interesting that books previewing 4e are going to be released that probably won't reflect the final product in many ways because the final product isn't final.

It almost seems to me...almost...that the entire process of developing 4e is rather haphazard. Of course, that can't be true...can it?

Hmmm....

Ah, the classic "if you have more money and more people, things should go faster" argument. Too bad that's not how things really work in collaborative situations like game design.

The Little Raven

First Post
Wolfspider said:
That may be true, but it's also rather insensitive. We're talking about people's jobs and their ability to support families and children.

I'm fully sympathetic to Paizo and other company's plights, but as the saying goes... They made their beds, now they have to lie in them. This is a business.

Then again, I guess it is all about the bottom line, eh?

More about personal responsibility. They chose to base their company's future on what Wizards is releasing, so they have to deal with the fact that Wizards isn't going to up their timetable just for them.

And if they were told January back in August, then they knew they were SOL back then.

bmcdaniel

Adventurer
schedules

Yeah, oddly enough I am thinking that game design is a lot like software engineering in this regard. Trust me, nothing gets done quicker by adding a bunch of new people to the mix.

It pains me to say this, but in the long run WoTC is probably making the right decision. Getting the core rules right is an order of magnitude more important than having timely D&D insider updates , or getting early support to 3rd party publishers.

It's just a shame that they don't have the bandwidth to do both.

(edit:crap, I just realized that I posted this on my friend Brian's account (i am visiting). This is not bmcdaniel, this is Haffrung Helleyes!)

Ken

Wolfspider

Explorer
Mourn said:
Ah, the classic "if you have more money and more people, things should go faster" argument. Too bad that's not how things really work in collaborative situations like game design.

Oh really?

Interesting.

Your post failed to convince me.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Yes, because look at how great all those indie publishers do without D20. Why, the head of Eden Studios only has to have ONE full-time job!

Regardless, basing your entire business on a release from one other, single company is perhaps not the wisest move ever...

Remove ads