stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. I [IC]

James Heard

Explorer
DEFCON 1 said:
"I am surprised that the disease has not made it out this far. I guess the dead have been remaining in town. This man should count his lucky stars." He scans the countryside, very glad that they made it out of the town unhindered.

Janis keeps her own counsel. Or perhaps he's "lucky" because he's in league with whatever force lies behind the undead.

Unspoken communications and affections pass between the wizardess and her familiar as they wait to see if the newly met warrior woman returns.

"Yes, perhaps we should talk with the locals and find out more about our surrounding area and maybe they have seen this 'army' that has passed through."

Bergeron looks at the others, waiting for someone else to take the first step.

"I am willing to go to help keep things civil. It is part of my training with House Jorasco."

Stormwind

First Post
Ashlyn stops and waits for Bergeron to dismount and join her before she continues to walk over towards the farmer. As she gets a little closer she speaks in a loud, carrying voice, "Good man, if you have a moment we would exchange a few words."

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
[I'm going to assume Marrat, the other talker, is going to join the talking mob.]

Bergeron and Ashlyn walk up to the farmer's fence side, Marot quietly joining them. The old man obviously tries to ignore them, but as it becomes obvious their intent, he sighs and turns to the gaggle. His accent is thick, like the others in the valley, heavy with sibilant sounds. "Why you on my property? Go away! Andrzey have no use for you!"

The old man---Andrzej apparently---startles the chickens with his annoyance, causing them to squawk loudly and chitter. The commotion draws attention from the house---the party sees a few faces look out the windows. One emerges, this one is a young woman dressed in course clothes like the man, though more delicately trimmed together. She looks surprised at the company. "Papa! Why do you accost these folks so!"

The two argue a moment quietly, the woman tugging at the red shawl covering her ears and and holding up her hair. When they stop, the old man continues to glower while the other speaks. "I am sorry for Papa, he does not like strangers. With the wolf attacks recently, there are few left who have not left for town. Why do you visit us? You are not from here." The statement is matter-of-fact.

James Heard

Explorer
Wolves, undead...next up we need a hunchback and a thunderstorm during a dragon attack and we'll be finally meeting the standards of that hack writer from Sharn.

Janis looks at the young woman keenly and her eyes narrow.

Then again, maybe the simplest solution would be to ask her directions to her grandmother's house.

Stormwind

First Post
[Sense motive to gain impression of their sincerity]
[Diplomacy to improve their reaction during the conversation]

Ashlyn faces the old man and speaks to him first, "I apologize for troubling you, yet I fear it is necessary."

She then turns to the daughter, speaking in a plain, matter of fact, tone, "It is fortuitous that you have not left for town. I bring news, ... bad news, ... undead zombies walk the streets and they carry a plague that causes the living to fall and rise again. Perhaps half the townsfolk are gathered at the Blood on the vine tavern, the rest I know not, though many of them have fallen and now walk the streets."

Ashlyn pauses a moment to let her news sink in, then continues "We are strangers here it is true, yet we would end this plague if we can. We seek information and intend to speak with Madam Eva. Could you tell us what dangers we might encounter on the road ahead? You mentioned wolves?"

stonegod

[Sense Motive check: The old man seems genuinely crotchety. The girl does not appear to be hiding anything.]
[Diplomacy: Take 10=20]

The two farmers listen as Ashlyn relates her tale. The old man face glowers even more, while a look of shock comes over the girl's. "Say it cannot be! Has not Father Danovich's prayer's keep the town safe?"

At Ashlyn's request, the young woman thinks for a moment before replying. "There are the wolve's, large beasts with a cursed intelligence. Without Bors, Piotr, and Tomasz, we would be in town now. They roam the road and the forests, though more often at night. Ware the Visanti, those colorfully dressed scoundrels. They will not attack you, but they are thieves and baby snatchers! And, in the dark corners of this land walk things that should be dead. More vile than those that you say are in town. It is our curse."

As she lapses into silence, the old man blurts out, "And there be that crazy man that fights them! Some kind of knight, he says. Well, he still be alive, if that count for anything. But he's got to be mad!" The girl gives an apologetic smile and shrugs, not adding anything else to the story.

The old man looks as if he's going to say something else, but the girl puts her hand on his shoulder. He grimaces, looks north a moment, then spits on the ground and returns to the chickens.

Stormwind

First Post
Ashlyn responds to the girl, "Father Danovich no longer wards the town, something about the death of his son hitting him hard. I know not what the cause of this plague might be, nor the reason behind it if such reason exists, but I would not reccomend traveling into town at this moment."

Something in the old mans last comment gets Ashlyn's attention and she turns towards him, interest and something more, written in her facial expression. She muses aloud, "A knight of some sort you say, .. and he fights against the undead. If our paths should cross, I would not be displeased to make his acquaintance, ... mad or not."

As the old man finishes speaking and looks north, Ashlyn glances in the same direction but can only see the looming presence of the castle.

Finally Ashlyn inclines her head, more than a nod yet less than a bow, and speaks again, "Thank you both for your advice."

She then looks to her companions and if neither of them have anything to add, then she walks back to rejoin the others. Once back with the others, she relates what information she has garnered, "They were unaware of the events within the town. However they gave some information of the dangers of the road ahead. There are large wolves that roam this area, the road and the forests, though mostly at night. The girl spoke of their cursed intelligence. They also warned us against the Visanti, apparently they are not too popular here. Finally more vile undead that what we have already faced walk this land, and there is one who fights against them ... a mad knight ..."

Last edited:

stonegod

The two watch as the party departs, the girl having some whispered words with her father once again as they leave. The woman has one final glance, then returns into the house.

GwydapLlew

First Post
Sir Khensu Feral

As the girl whispers to her father, Sir Khensu invokes his ability to discern evil and studies the two of them. As Ashlynn returns, he nods once. "A mad knight? I can well imagine going mad in this realm, although I have found that peasants consider anyone in mail with a sword and a shield a knight."

Intelligent, evil wolves. Perhaps they walk like men some of the days.

"I suggest that we 'ware these wolves. If any of you bear weapons of silver, prepare them...there are many things in this world who fear the purity of the metal."

Remove ads