stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. I [IC]

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
"Sir Urik, take the left! I'll take the right!" The shifter Inquistor shouts to the knight next to him, and then begins moving forward to engage the zombie up front on the right side (L5). Jarrith doesn't leave his Brother's side, and he advances up along with him. "I'm right next to you! Let's take care of this nice and quick!"

As they both approach the pew that the zombie is sitting in, Sir Khensu moves up along the front row, while Jarrith leaps up onto the pew and moves along it's length.

(Sir Khensu double move: to H8, I7, forward to I4, across to K4)
(Jarrith double move: to H8, I7, forward to I5, difficult terrain move -5' up onto pew, across to K5)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Church Round 1

Jarrith dashes along the length of the pew, ready to face the undead parishioner. Its vacant stare does not register its potential danger.

Bergeron fearfully dashes into a protective corner. He starts stammering out a the Story of the Karnnathi Vicar, a tale of a lone Sovereign priest who fought off a legion of mad wolves in the dark of winter. Even with its wavering delivery and the continuing mad drone, the story is strangely inspiring. [Everyone inspired]

The zombie moan out their displeasure, their limbs trying to find purchase on the party. Jarrith ducks under the overhand swing of one, and Daellin's armor absorbs the blow of the other. Sir Urik is not so lucky, as one scores a powerful blow to his face, dazing the large man a moment. The knight reels from the black sickness suddenly coursing through his veins! [Urik hit; sickened]

Janis comes to the side of her companions, her ghostly army following. She glances upon the commotion, awaiting her moment to strike.

Suddenly, the hoarse chanting stops, as a wild-haired man pops up from behind the altar. He screams, "You can't take my son from me!" and launches into a spell from a crumbling scroll he clutches in one filthy hand. He obviously struggles with the powerful magic, but manages to complete the spell. Janis recognizes the words just as Marot screams, "Down! Its a circle of death!"

A burst of pure night, echoing with the screams of Dollurh, encompasses all but Jarrith, emanating from the cowering halfling. Marrot's armor flashes, and the darkness is kept at bay, but only for him. The Stalker and the warlock can only watch as the spell takes effect.

Hurrn, Urik's companions, falls dead at the knights feet. Urik howls out in sorrow, and manages to fight off the black magic.

The lady paladin fights off the foul effects of the magic. [Fort 20 succeeds]

The halfling's voice seizes, a look of cold fear frozen on his small face. [Fort save 9 + 5AP = 14 fails]

Though he is warded, Marot knows his familiar is not. However, the albino rat manages to survive the dark magic. [Fort save 22 succeeds]

The spell washes over the rest, and Janis feels the hold of the Keeper grip her heart for a moment, but it passes, leaving her weakened. [Janis Fort save 13 + 5 AP=18 succeeds] However, a moment later, she screams as she feels the heroic Orwell stiffen! [Fort 9 + 6 AP =12 fails; dies; Janis Fort Save 19; loses 700 XP]

As the snake perishes, the rest of the spell collapses, sparing the others.

The door behind Ashlyn opens, and a withered zombie with magical power dancing about its hands appears. It grins in satisfaction, and with a gesture, a sound of raw magic rips through the hallway! [sound burst; Urik, Khensu, Janis, and Ashlyn take 5 hp; all make Fort saves]

Khensu strides towards the zombie, glancing with ire at the tainted priest. Unable to make it to Jarrith, he strikes at the nearest instead. However, the deadened flesh absorbs the blow. [AC 14 misses]

Ashlyn takes out her fury on the dead thing before her. Both attacks strike true, and she severely wounds it! [AC 14, 19 hit; 14 hp]

Daellin takes a step back, firing arrows as he goes. Two hit, tearing dead flesh asunder. [23 hp before DR]

Urik howls in rage, screaming, "DANOVICH!" His silver blade cuts the zombie open easily.

Grimly, Marot moves forward and tosses power at the fallen priest. The strike Danovich in the chest, causing him to stumble a moment. [AC 23 ranged touch hits; 13 damage]

Church Round 2

attachment.php

J: 22
B: 21 [Dead]
Z: 20 [F8: -15 (moderately wounded), I7: -23 (moderately wounded)]
J: 16 [35/40, -700 XP, mirror image 69 rounds]
D: 16 [moderately wounded]
DL: 13 [near destruction]
K: 13 [50/55]
A: 11 [44/49]
D: 10 [28/31 hp]
U: 10 [45/59]
M: 4

Map Key: A: Ashlyn, D: Daellin, D: Danovich, DL: Magic-infused undead, d: Edi, h: Horse, h: Valo, J: Jarrith, J: Janis, K: Khensu, M: Marot, r: raven, U: Sir Urik, Z: Plodding zombies
Conditions: Mist grants concealment to creatures 30' away. Cyan Border: mirror image, Dark green Border: Sickened, Light Green Border: Entangled, Orange Border: Inspired (+1 save vs fear, charm, compulsion; +1 to hit and damage), White: unconscious, Transparent: Dead, White Border: Paralyzed.

[Round 2 actions?]

Attachments

• E7-r2.jpg
    E7-r2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
If Danovich is still alive, and Daellin has a decent shot at him, he'll shift his target to him. Otherwise, he'll take a five-foot step to G9, and keep firing at the zombie facing Khensu.

In any case, he's going to keep using Improved Rapid Shot to fire three-arrow bursts.

James Heard

Explorer
Janis forgoes any pleasantries that might be otherwise associated with combat, tosses a lightning bolt of the less subtle variety at the good Father.

"I suggest that everyone get out of my way," Janis says without missing a beat. " The priest and I are going to have a short conversation with his gods." Despite her cool tone, her eyes flash unpredictably with arcs of electricity.

OOC: Casting lightning bolt on G4, using an Action Point next round to recall the spell to use next round. Using an Action Point this round on emulating Spell Focus (Evocation) for +1 CL for the purposes of save DCs, +1 CL already because it's electrical (Storm Bolt).

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
With him keeping his eyes on the pew and his feet as he lithely danced across to the zombie, Jarrith did not see the chaos that the spell had wrought. The wails of sorrow could be heard though, and he knew that only by cleansing this church could they hope to end this madness.

He raises both pommels to the zombie in front of him, and praying to the Silver Flame that what Ashlyn taught him about the Lightbringer's magical enhancements would work... he raises his voice and speaks plainly. "By the Voice of the Flame and all that is holy, your dark energy is drained!"

(Turn Undead: 2d6 damage to all undead within 30' / Will save for half: DC 14)

As the light from the positive energy explodes out from the cleric, he takes the blinding second to drop off the pew and move around the zombie slightly to stop blocking others view of this potential target. (5' step to L4)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The Shadowbane Inquisitor swings the axe in a wide arc... the zombie in front of him being a wonderful target. "End this fight quickly, my friends... we must not lose anything more!" (Full attack on I7)

Remove ads