• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. I [IC]

Stormwind

First Post
As she carefully checks her new and old gear and packs for their next outing in the early dawn, Ashlyn quietly thinks apon events, still trying to tie everything together in her mind, but something is still bothering her. Unsure of what it is she continues to think over things, ... but something doesn't fit right ... she just can't think of what.
[Knowledge religion check (1d20+11) to see if she comes to any conclusions about Jarrith's behaviour]

Then her attention is taken by something else ... bats ... such concentration of them in this area concerns her.
[Appropriate knowledge/intelligence checks for Ashlyn to intuit something related to the number and behaviour of the bats]

As the others gather back at the Blood on the Vine one by one, Ashlyn calmly practices outside with her blade, slowly getting a feel for her new armor, while waiting for the others to all arrive. Once the last of the group has arrived, she sheaths her blade and asks, "So, ... are we ready to leave for Lysaga hill?"

[Ashlyn is going to be outside the tavern and so won't see what happens within (although she will probably hear what is said as she is just outside)]

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
drothgery said:
"On the other, you seem a bit twitchy this morning. I haven't seen you like that since... all right, I've never seen you like that."
Jarrith snorts and shakes his head and the elf's observation. A quick breath in and breath out and he throws Daellin a subdued grin. "I dunno... I guess Marot's situation's getting to me. Anyone is vulnerable it seems. And these past couple days with everyone going every which way... doing all manner of stuff... but not actually talking with each other... I've just been afraid more people are getting compromised."

He looks outside and sees Lady Ashlyn practicing with her blade. Jarrith wonders if his snapping at her yesterday has perhaps alienated her from him a bit... but then he shrugs internally, because it wouldn't be the first time he's done that to someone.

"The only way I knew Marot was not himself was that he was talking. And strangely. That's what finally got me clued in. But Janis and you went rushing off after the spirit, didn't return for several hours, and when you got back here were both silent on the matter. Then you both went off again and have been gone for over a day. What's to say one of you didn't get posessed by the same spirit that got Marot? And how am I to figure out about it? I can't. And that's why I'm twitchy... because if it happened to Marot, it can happen to any of you. You get the picture?"

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
DEFCON1 said:
Master Ochem yesterday made it quite clear that we needed to go to the castle and find the Tome within four days.
Busy at work with some notes that his scribes have presented him, the mousy archivist chirps up without looking. "Feh. As bad as my assistants---never hearing what I say. The four days has only to do with that supposed 'witch' circle you were going on about on Zir. That one with the 'dark moon.' The Tome---which is what we are hear for, if I may remind you all---has nothing to do with that as far as I know. But, the sooner the better."

stonegod

James Heard said:
In the stillness of the Barovian morning Janis makes her way back to town.
The lumbering bear and the silent Ladreth beside her, Janis has no problems making it safely back to the town. She finds the more common signs of village life on her return---though there is significant construction reworking windows and such. Upon seeing her new companion, villagers gape. Many make the sign of the Overwatching Ones, others just stare. Regardless of what warmth the villagers feel for the Pale Lady, such displays of power are not a common sight.

Janis returns to the Tavern to find Ashlyn practicing her blade in the retool armor of the former town Priest. She nods to the door as if to indicate the other's presence inside.

stonegod

[sblock=Stormwind]
Stormwind said:
[Knowledge religion check (1d20+11) to see if she comes to any conclusions about Jarrith's behavior]
Jarrith is obviously jumpy, and it could be from the cause he describes. Of course, there could be magical or supernatural effects ongoing as well. If such were the case, either magical divination or a thorough checking (Heal check) would be needed.

Stormwind said:
[Appropriate knowledge/intelligence checks for Ashlyn to intuit something related to the number and behavior of the bats]
Ashlyn's knowledge are not of the natural sort, so she is hard pressed to determine if this behavior is normal. She has little context for the answer.[/sblock]

James Heard

Explorer
stonegod said:
The lumbering bear and the silent Ladreth beside her, Janis has no problems making it safely back to the town. She finds the more common signs of village life on her return---though there is significant construction reworking windows and such. Upon seeing her new companion, villagers gape. Many make the sign of the Overwatching Ones, others just stare. Regardless of what warmth the villagers feel for the Pale Lady, such displays of power are not a common sight.
Janis strides into town with her head high and haughty, the mood only broken when she passes the occasional wide-eyed villager and winks or breaks into a grin.

It's good for them to respect me, but if they fear me then perhaps they shall find our enemies less dangerous?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Master Ochem said:
"Feh. As bad as my assistants---never hearing what I say. The four days has only to do with that supposed 'witch' circle you were going on about on Zir."
Jarrith turns back to him for a second and just looks at him. After a few he turns away. "Oooooookay then."

Lady Ashlyn said:
"So, ... are we ready to leave for Lysaga hill?"
Jarrith stands up and pushes in his chair. "Absolutely. Let's go." He looks around to see if everyone is here, but the only person still missing is Janis. He shrugs, walks to the door on the Inn and exits... only to find Janis outside with a large bear at her side. He blinks for a few seconds and says nothing. As the two of them just stare at each other for a few moments, Jarrith finally breaks the silence with a "We're going witchhunting... you want to come along?"

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Jarrith sighs... as he was all set to get going, but now will have to wait a bit. "Fine. Do what you need to do Janis. How will an hour do you? I guess we can see what we can do about the porridge."

In an hour's time, if Janis and the others are ready to go... Jarrith shows them on the map where Lysaga Hill is, and the group can mount up and take off.

stonegod

[Last chance to update your equipment 'fore you leave. Also, if any of you wish to switch around your memorized spells, now is the time to do so.]

Janis takes some time to refreshen herself after her vigil, and the stunned Arik manages to put together something suitable for the large beast making its home in the town square. Children occasionally come by to gawk and gape, and a few adults do the same though more surreptitiously.

As Jarrith is gathering their mounts, he notices some of the colorful Visanti loitering near the Well, apparently lost in discussion. However, he is sure they occasionally carefully look over in the group's direction, apparently discretely interested in the goings-on.

About an hour before noon, the party is ready to depart. The mists, as always, hang over everything, though they are not as claustrophobic as they will be in the cooler parts of the day. They leave without ceremony, and are soon on the old Barovian road, this time towards Lysaga Hill.

They pass the river without incident, and see at least a few of the farms have signs of life now. Old Man Andrzej glares at them unwelcomingly as they pass, one of his large sons helping him this morning. His eyes seem drawn to the large bear, and the look is even less friendly than before. The crossroad is empty this time, the mists dancing slowly about the graves of the damned.

Turning away from the road to the Visanti camp and their strange Seer, the group begins to climb into the hills at the edge of the valley. The forest is sparse here, mostly westward, and the high walls to one side of the road are a bit claustrophobic. Then, the the west, is the groups destination.

The forest parts around a large hill, a spur of bare rock jutting up from the earth. Near the hill's highest point, a blackened tower of crumbling stone can be seen, the ruins of some ancient site. Storm clouds churn in the sky overhead, bring a stark winter's chill with them.

[You are at the base of the hill, a steep 900 ft. climb at its more direct approach (from the east). If you wished to bring the horses, you will need to find a smoother route--the map indicates one may be available further up the road (from the north).

Remove ads