stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. II [IC]

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
DEFCON 1 said:
"On that note... what happened to Victor down in the basement of the Vine? Did the curse overtake him?"
The archivist considers Jarrith's statement about Janis before answering, waving absently. "Oh, that. Vincent is dead. Or near that anyway. That so-called knight dealt with it when the guards couldn't handle it. They cleaned it up; you'd have to ask them. I was in the process of accessing the damage to the expedition when you all arrived."

Last edited:

James Heard

Explorer
stonegod said:
Janis finds the inside of the Inn in disarray. The tables pushed to the side to make way for Urik's litter have been rended by something of great strength, and broken crockery is everywhere. Arik the innkeeper absently cleans, as if in shock.

Urik, still looking weak, sits in the corner with a now wobbly table, his companion balancing carefully on the boards. His silver blade is propped up beside him. "Ah, Lady Stormhand. Good to see those with fight in them are still breathing."
Janis waves off the knight's comments as barely registering, her eyes blazing with barely controlled rage. She walks in in a tightly controlled fashion to what passes for a bar in the Inn, closing her eyes to gather confidence in her voice before she continues. Spitting the blood from where she has bitten her lip onto the floor, she slaps her hand at whip-like speed on the worn wood and turns her baleful gaze upon the innkeeper.

"I'd have something strong enough to wash away hate, Arik. If you would please." The words slither from her lips as a whisper.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
When Jarrith hears that Victor is near death because of the curse... he hangs his head and breathes out slowly. He knows he could have possibly cured him of the curse before he had left, but he saved his blessing from the Flame for use another time. He looks back at Ochem, nods once, then turns and goes to where Khensu and Marot are standing.

"What was it you said, Marot? 'All we find is death'? Aye. I think you hit that nail right on its head."

His eyes are drawn to the castle, then he turns back to them. "Let us get some rest. Tomorrow morning, we will make the journey up to the castle. We have waited long enough, eh?" He clasps his hand on Khensu's broad shoulder. "You will feel the Light again, my friend. The Flame is still within you, we just need to feed its fire."

He then turns to the inn to go in and sleep this long night away.

stonegod

Arik numbly puts down the broom, and ducks behind the counter. After a moment, he produces a thick, clear liquid that, should Janis drink it, burns quite satisfactorily. Soon after, Jarrith and Khensu pass through towards their room with a passing nod to the wounded Urik. The knight says nothing at Janis' foul mood, seemingly content to rest in his chair, feeding his raven.

OOC: I'll move on to the next day on Monday, so if there is anything anyone else wishes to do tonight (Janis can request a bath still, etc., though that'll be off camera), let me know.

James Heard

Explorer
Janis swiftly downs the foul substance, and after a moment's consideration gestures for another, and another afterwards.

"You know Arik, I never set out to be who I am. It was all about people like that bastard Mateusz pulling my family into every damned thing - making every moment at my home a little part of the war. Oh, he thinks he's being clever but he's stepped into the cleaver." Janis finishes with her second drink.

"I tell you: For every dead child, for every dark curse, Barovia is a bright place compared to the nightmare of my homeland... That dog out there, Mateusz, his people court the dead like lovers; you mustn't trust him, you see? I've been trying to pretend that he's only interested in stealing away few useless trinkets and then he'd be gone, but once he's through with you all? Barovia will be on her back for the soldiers of him and his kind, whether she likes it or not. And those soldiers will be harvested from the graves like every other soldier in the service of his people, and every woman and child they cut down will rise as another blade to hold at your people's throats. Janis says as she finishes her third drink, slamming the container upside down with a thud against the bar.

"My country...a thousand valleys just like this one, are no more, destroyed by the politics of each other, by the moaning dead of Mateusz's people. Even sunlight has turned into a horror there, a blight for ten thousand years...I should slip the knife in, to protect you all..."

Wiping her face, her knuckles still white with rage, Janis shuffles off to the pantry to sleep, slamming a fist into the sill separating the two rooms as she passes uselessly.

"Some wounds never leave you... must be constantly tended to prevent the heart from stopping...

Collapsed into the corner like a rag doll, Janis clutches her bloody fist like a child held close to her heart.

pathfinderq1

First Post
As the tide of wounded began to ebb, Tessa felt the weariness of the day pulling at her. She spared a nod and a few quiet words for Ashlyn, and for the other healers, then made her way inside. While she needed little sleep, she sought the solace of prayer, and the comforting power of the divine. Once her rest was complete, she busied herself in little tasks- washing the days blood from herself and her clothing, checking her armor and other gear for signs of damage, the simple tasks of an adventurers trade.

Once the sun began to rise, she found a quiet place to perform her daily rituals, rededicating herself to the service of the Sovereign Host.

OOC: No real changes- but if we make it through the night Tessa will change her memorized spell selection a bit.

stonegod

Arik is a fine bartender... for serving drinks. The man just listens to Janis, saying nothing. But, it is perhaps appropriate he says nothing. For what can a simple man like him say to sooth the ills of the mighty?

Tessa and Ashlyn finish tending the wounded, their efforts are rewarded. The Deneith mercenaries' bodies will recover. Their minds...? Vincent was well respected amongst them. To fall so low is a deep blow to moral. At least he still lives, if the words of one of the guards can be trusted, wounded and knocked senseless by the old knight with the bird.

Eventually, the party finds their sleep.

22 Sul, Zarantyr, 998 YK
[Spells, ability damage, etc. refreshed as appropriate. Please update sheets accordingly.]

The morning is hardly different from the night, with dark clouds laden with rain curtailing the sun. A cold breakfast of porridge is made ready, a local matron doing the duty. Urik remains in the common room, looking more rested, though dark circles remain around his eyes. The party gathers in silence, planning their day ahead. Provisions? Other preparations? Or finally to the shadow that lingers ever present in the valley---the Castle Ravenloft?

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The next morning Jarrith arises and prays to the Flame for strength and mercy... then makes his way back downstairs into the tavern proper. He goes over to the Raven Knight and checks to see what the remaining ills of Sir Urik are, and if he can heal them. If doable, the Stalker ignores any protestations he might receive from him and he casts a prayer to reinvigorate the knight. (Cast Lesser Restoration if Urik is down any ability points)

When Janis returns to the main tavern room, Jarrith moves over to her and speaks quietly. "I can attempt to remove the were-taint within you again. Shall we give it a go?"

s@squ@tch

First Post
Marot the Deadly

Marot arose to the sounds of voices in his head -- not the normal kind, which he had grown accustomed to, but a more sinister, dark voice.

"GET OUT!" He shouts to the unseen source. He grabs his head and begins to shake his head left to right, murmuring,"No...no....no..."

He gathers himself and kneels before his bed and prays to the Flame for help and guidance.

After a half hour of losing himself in prayer to his divine source of reclamation, he dresses and heads downstairs to rejoin the others, as well as getting a bite to eat, as he hadn't eaten since breaking camp in the forest yesterday morn.

He sees the forlorn shifter staring blankly at a bowl of porridge, and sits down next to him.

"Khensu - it is good to see you once again. At last we will see who exactly is the master of the keep that we guarded for countless nights. Hopefully we can find some semblance of piety in this godforsaken land..."

He grabs a small plate of breakfasts meats and pastries from Arik and rejoins Khensu, setting ravenously into the food.

Stormwind

First Post
Rising early, satisfied and rested from a mere two hours of sleep, Ashlyn quietly walks downstairs and looks in on her patients before heading back to the inn for breakfast.

Walking through the door, Ashlyn takes some porridge and a small hunk of bread and sits down with Urik for breakfast. She offers Hurrn a piece of her bread as she eats. Though she eats silently, she seems much more relaxed this morning. After finishing her food, she looks over at Urik and speaks, "Good morning"
Ashlyn then pauses a moment before asking "We are considering a trip to the castle today and I was wondering whether you might be able to describe the layout of the castle a little, particulary the location of the chapel. You should know that I intend to sit Vigil and would welcome any advice as to what I might expect."

Remove ads