stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. II [IC]

James Heard

Explorer
A dusty, ashen-faced Janis stumbles out of the pantry and out of the inn without a word or acknowledgment to anyone. Mumbling a call to her enormous bear once outside, she allows him to lead her into the woods where she unceremoniously looses a stream of foul-tasting last-night's liquor upon the soft soil. Wiping her mouth under narrowed eyes, she calls upon her magical might, fixing the day's allotment of magic into her mind. Afterward though, instead of returning immediately to the village she simply sits in the dim sunlight of the valley, curled up and clinging to her enormous companion smelling the grass and trees as if they might vanish at a coward's word.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Refreshed by a few hours sleep and a period of prayer, Tessa joined the others in the inn- she seemed to have even regained some semblance of her normal smile. While she had no need of food, she sought out a mug of hot tea and made her way over to join the group.

OOC: ready to go

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The morning meal is consumed, by some with gusto, by others with more reserve. Jarrith begins to say something to Janis as she bolts out this morning, but the ghosts of her past make her oblivious to everything. The Stalker is able to restore more vitality to the wounded Urik despite his protestations. [1 lesser restoration]

Stormwind said:
"We are considering a trip to the castle today and I was wondering whether you might be able to describe the layout of the castle a little, particularly the location of the chapel. You should know that I intend to sit Vigil and would welcome any advice as to what I might expect."
Urik nods solemnly at Ashlyn's words, and sits carefully at the table. There is little that I can tell that you will not find out soon enough. It is the heart of darkness itself, gnawing at men's minds and hearts. The vile evil performed there taints its still, and few pure souls and withstand it and remain that way. Light itself is swallowed by its capriciousness. All I can say is that all manner of dark spirits roam the halls, so be wary of all you see. The older man smiles, and barks a laugh. But, so it should be with everything, should it not! As for the rooms... the Chapel be at the back of the keep, beyond no stairs. Other than that, I can tell you little. I shun its halls, for while I fight a loosing battle, I only fight the ones I can win! The last is said with a bit of humor and a smile, though there is a tinge of wariness as well.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
As Ashlyn and Sir Urik speak on the castle, Jarrith stands behind him and tries to signal to the paladin about the Symbol of the Raven using ridiculous hand gestures and poorly attempted mime. Lady Ashlyn wisely ignores him to continue her conversations with the knight, which only sets Jarrith in his attempt to get his point across even harder. But despite all his flailing about, Ashlyn either doesn't understand him, or chooses to ignore him.

Finally, the giant shifter shouts to the Stalker from across the room "Brother, just go speak to her if you need to say something. You look ridiculous."

Jarrith stops waving his arms and they flop to his sides dejectedly. Breathing a heavy sigh, he sidles over to the paladin and turns his head to Sir Urik. "Would you pardon me for one moment?" He they moves his mouth close to the paladin's ear and whispers "Are you... uh... planning on telling him we found his Symbol? He might be happy to know it has returned... although we might still need to hang onto it... for, you know... safety's sake."

James Heard

Explorer
After her morning recovery, Janis walks into town, making small talk with the inhabitants and answering any questions they might have about the goings on with the expedition as time allows.

stonegod

The villagers are moving about their lives with typical Barovian stubbornness and lack of any strong feelings. Janis hears the rumors of the deaths of the witches which are not too inaccurate. She also hears stories of "monsters in the camp of the strangers" in hushed tones. The scuttlebutt is that the Curse is even affecting them now, and they too will be unable to leave Barovia.

OOC: Waiting on Ashlyn's answer to Jarrith before moving on.

Stormwind

First Post
Ashlyn listens carefully to Jarrith as he whispers his question, then she smiles and nods as she responds, "Of course, ... unless you had any objections?"
Ashlyn tilts her head up towards Jarrith, the question obvious in her eyes as she waits for an answer.

Assuming that Jarrith doesn't have any objections to Ashlyn telling Urik of their retrieval of the amulet, then ...

As Jarrith shakes his head, Ashlyn smiles again and then turns back to Urik. Although her words are not particulary loud, neither are they spoken in a whisper, "As you might have heard, we had a run in with the 'Green lady' and her 'god' last night. Obviously we managed to prevail, but we also retrieved Lugdana's symbol. I ... we ... would like to hold on to it for a little while, for if the advice we received earlier from Madam Eva is correct, then it may be that we will be able to awaken whatever powers lie dormant within it, and perhaps it can, once again serve its original purpose."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
When Ashlyn asks him if he has any objections... Jarrith shakes his head 'no'... his face giving the impression that he never wanted to keep it a secret in the first place.

As the paladin continues speaking to Sir Urik, Jarrith says to Khensu and the others "Well, since I guess Janis didn't want the divine healing... I might as well go downstairs and see if Victor could still use it."

He shakes his head as he thinks about how he could have cast the divine power yesterday and saved a number of lives... but remains silent on that issue. "Marot? Khensu? Either of you want to join me?"

He then starts walking towards the stairs to the basement.

stonegod

Urik's eyes light up when he hears about the Symbol. "May I see it?" Ashlyn is hesitant at first, but then nods, and the old man looks for once at peace when he sees the sun-like form. He looks at a moment, then pushes it back to the paladin. Looking at the two holy warriors, he nods. "You are having more need of it than this old man. It belongs to my order, and you shall be a true member soon enough, my Lady."

~~~

Jarrith finds Vincent in a sad shape. The chains have been joined by rope and bars to make as secure of a cage as possible, and now he has guards---the durable Ladreth amongst them. The Blademark has obvious wounds, tended just enough to keep him alive, but not hale. Apparently, the guards want to keep him weak for when it happens again.

The Stalker sighs, and goes about his work. But as he casts the magic, he feels it slip away from him, shunted aside. It is a tenacious curse, and it will not be broken by him today. [Vincent fails his save]

~~~

Walking amongst the people, Jannis still gets some mixed responses. Things both for good and ill have befell the town in the Expedition's presence, and they are all lumped together in the Barovian mind. The villagers she does talk to do so respectfully, if a bit cautiously. She discovers that the story of the dead witches passed quickly. They have been a pall over the town for months, and none morn their passing. But now, they seem to wait for the inevitable other shoe to drop. "The wolf that is killed was stopping the three in the shadows," as the Barovian saying goes. Something else is always waiting.

~~~

Thus, it is a few hours before noon when the group gathers in the center square with their mounts, the shadow of the Castle looming above them.

[Any other business before leaving town? Tessa or someone else might try a curse removal?]

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
As the group made preparations to head to the castle, Tessa seemed to take extra care and time with her own gear, and her own activities. It was only as the group began to form up that she finally forced herself to attend to the task she had been avoiding. She made her way almost reluctantly over to Janis, and when she spoke her voice was quiet- it looked as if she feared the druid's volatile temper more than she had feared the witches and werewolves of the previous day. "I have prayed for the ritual to expel the Beast-curse within you. will you allow me to attempt the spell, or have you found another route to avoid that temptation?"

Remove ads