Stormlight rpg

mcmillan

Adventurer
I'm really struggling to see what your point is....? It is a successful game thst people are playing...?
The bit of conversation was a response to the claim that
Yeah, I'd suggest everyone get their crowdfunding out of the way before it hits as it's likely to take all the oxygen out of the room for years after.
If this game is as successful as avatar it may be popular but that’s far short of taking out interest in other games for years

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The bit of conversation was a response to the claim that

If this game is as successful as avatar it may be popular but that’s far short of taking out interest in other games for years
Oh, well, yeah, duh.

Stormlight Archives is no doubt going to be the big fat RPG crowdfunding campaign of the year, but that doesn't mean that more niche stuff (tongue slightly in cheek, most everything is more niche than the Cosmere in this space) won't be able to successfully get funded. Really, a rising tide lifts all boats (that are seaworthy).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Small update on the current Stormlight Backerkit campaign, it is at $18.3 million with 65 thousand backers (out of 110,000 followers the Dragonsteel account has). Thst means it is bigger than any Indiegogo campaign ever, in addition to being the biggest Backstarter campaign. It is on track to exceed $20 million in the next 3 weeks handily, and be arguably the second largest crowdfunding campaign ever, after the previous Brandon Sanderson campaign (depends on of you count crypto scams as crowdfunding).

And this is for a premium copy of a ten year old book, ths tI already owned in paperback and audiobook before backing it.

The Stormlight RPG is going to really bring the fire if this more niche campaign does this.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Small update on the current Stormlight Backerkit campaign, it is at $18.3 million with 65 thousand backers (out of 110,000 followers the Dragonsteel account has). Thst means it is bigger than any Indiegogo campaign ever, in addition to being the biggest Backstarter campaign. It is on track to exceed $20 million in the next 3 weeks handily, and be arguably the second largest crowdfunding campaign ever, after the previous Brandon Sanderson campaign (depends on of you count crypto scams as crowdfunding).

And this is for a premium copy of a ten year old book, ths tI already owned in paperback and audiobook before backing it.

The Stormlight RPG is going to really bring the fire if this more niche campaign does this.
This truly boggles my mind. This much money for a book that's still in print. Unreal. His fans are unreal.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This truly boggles my mind. This much money for a book that's still in print. Unreal. His fans are unreal.
To be fair, Words of Radiance is an extremely excellent book. And it comes with a luxurious printing for the first time of his Master's Thesis project.

The special editions Dragonsteel produces are both beautiful, and this is key, nice to read in a utilitarian sense. Based on my experience with the Elantris special edition, I had no compunction about springing for Words of Radiance and Way of Kings here despite owning two copies of Words of Radiance (paperback and audiobook) and three of Way of Kings (paperback, ebook, and audiobook).

Actually about half the backers are in it for the Secret Project surprise book that is brand spanking new. After the previous batch of Secret Project novels (3 great, 1 good), it isn't surprising people are game for another go.

But yeah, if weirdos like me are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for already released novels, the illustrated world guide for Roshar that will be on the RPG campaign is going to be a huge attractor.

Meech17

Adventurer
I'd imagine Sanderson is a weird duck to witness as an outsider.

He claims to just really love writing. He writes these massive 1000+ page monsters of books, and when he gets burnt out and needs to take a break, he does so by writing other books. Hence where the secret book project came from.

I think a lot of people are also very excited by him because he writes these epic fantasies, and he does it consistently. The Stormlight Archives is supposed to be a 10 book series, with book 5 just now wrapping up it's early draft phase. It'll take years, but unlike some other fantasy authors we seem to actually have a good chance of seeing this series reach completion.

Like @Parmandur I also own the books in multiple formats. The narrators for the audio books are just wonderful. I found myself listening to the book during my commute and then reading at home.

Another fun fact. Sanderson is a huge fan of Magic the Gathering. Supposedly for each new set he buys a bunch of boxes to run drafts for his employees. He built a very impressive cube and used his fans to source it, offering generous amounts of swag in exchange for hard to find cards.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I think the Stormlight RPG will do very well, though I would not assume that RPG are less of a niche than fancy editions. Plus it looks like the about half the pledges are for a new "secret project" and not the fancy edition, which is even less niche. Those people just have to be Brandon Sanderson fans.
It'll take years, but unlike some other fantasy authors we seem to actually have a good chance of seeing this series reach completion.
Yeah, for perspective just looking at the Stormlight Archive, he's released three books in that series since A Dance With Dragons came out.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think the Stormlight RPG will do very well, though I would not assume that RPG are less of a niche than fancy editions. Plus it looks like the about half the pledges are for a new "secret project" and not the fancy edition, which is even less niche. Those people just have to be Brandon Sanderson fans.
Fair, but a coffee table book detailing the world of Roshar? That is going to be big.
Yeah, for perspective just looking at the Stormlight Archive, he's released three books in that series since A Dance With Dragons came out.
Shoot, broadening it out a bit, Sanderson has published like 30 novels since Dance of Dragons came out. Amd they aren't low quality books!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Brandon Sanderson a s Isaac Stewart talk about ehat goes into a premium book:

The campaign is pushing $19 million today as nearly 9000 people have jumped on board.

Remove ads