Storms of Change, Part 3

silentspace

First Post
Notes from the Captured Journals of Hextor's Priest, Deciphered by Rowyn Elwick Doublelock Daergal Scheppen III

--
Getting spies into Carodan was even easier than I had anticipated! With all the improvements to the fortress and the incursions to the north that the idiot Ricsten is doing, mercenaries are flocking to Carodan from far and wide!
--
I do not trust Rangark. He and his orcs disappear for days at a time. What is he up to? I believe he is going into Shillen. He is strong and fearless, no doubt he thinks he can handle easily handle even the most elite of Shillen's patrols. From the stories I hear about him, he probably can even face their generals! But his actions are foolhardy at best! What if he is found out? Maybe he can evade and elude Shillen's patrols, but what about the Vizelan Eagle Patrols? Even here, we have to be on the alert for them constantly! Our spies say that General Valindon is obsessed with tracking our movments, and that few can escape the eyes of his patrol. Rangark's arrogance will ruin all of our plans! Does Nazdin know what Rangark is doing? Does Rangark act under Nazdin's orders?
--
Rangark brought some delicious berry pies today! Where did he get them? One of my soldiers, a human from Rogan, says they remind him of... what did he call them? Janisen's Pies? Some halflings from a place called Dimlud Thorp on the Trade Road in Rogan... I really think Rangark's going into Shillen. How else would he have purchased these pies? I'm not sure the people of Rogan would sell pies to orcs, although I hear there are some full-blooded orcs who make their homes in Rogan, living peacefully among them. Maybe he did just buy them! I would have asked, but he's so rough and intimidating, it didn't seem proper to ask such questions when he was bringing such nice gifts! He is trying to gain my trust, but underneath it, I sense he thinks I am a weakling and a fool. I will show him! And Nazdin too! I will gain Hextor's favor and become a powerful force in the new world!
--
There has been a new arrival in the Red Claw Clan! Vrastak, of the Night Swarm Clan has been accepted into the Red Claw Clan, despite objections by Inyik. Word has it that the Night Swarm Clan was nearly wiped out by a minor Knight of Shillen named Darien. This Darien is now guarding Glendrake’s caravan! Vrastak, with the few surviving hobgoblins and ogres of her clan, ambushed that caravan a few nights ago in an attempt to gain vengeance on Darien. Vrastak herself refrained from battle, only watching from a distance, which may have been a tactical error on her part. Her forces were defeated, and even her ogres were slain. Word has it she is a charismatic leader, wielding the power of Maglubiyet, and with the help of Inyik, has already re-built the Night Swarm Clan. Vrastak refuses to fly the Red Claw Clan banner, however, and Inyik is not pleased. But still, Rangark thinks Vrastak is a capable battlefield commander, and will be useful in both our upcoming invasion and the subsequent occupation, and insisted that Inyik accept her.
--
Inyek's hobgoblins have been raiding along the Krin River, as far south and east as the Rillathane Bridge. He mentioned in passing a cavern base he's established along the river. How long have they been doing this? Long enough to establish a base! This is infuriating! Shouldn't he have consulted me before making such a bold move? My displeasure must have shown on my face, because he said I should relax, and his Red Claw hobgoblins brought in a barrel of ale for my troops. It was a delicious dwarven brew, seized in a raid on the Riverfolk Brewery, under the Rillathane Bridge. Even though he's a hobgoblin, I see how my troops admire him. With these gifts, I think he is trying to gain their favor. I think he's planning on assassinating me, and taking over this base. Why else would he be so generous towards my troops? But I have already started my own counter-measures, giving my troops instructional books on Hextor. Inyek is a fool if he thinks his personal charm and gifts can influence a person as much as the Scourge of Battle! No, my troops will remain loyal to me, and to Hextor!
--
Our spotters saw another Vizelan Eagle Patrol scouting the skies around us today. Luckily, we are well-camouflaged, and he saw nothing. How I would like to shoot those smug elves from the sky! My half-orcs will cut them to pieces!
--
Rangark has been going into Shillen! He let that information slip when telling me a joke over some dwarven ale. He said that Inyik's squad of hobgoblins that he had assigned to trail Glendrake’s caravan, had been spotted and slain by Glendrake's caravan guards! I laughed quite a bit when I heard this. I know I shouldn’t, but it is funny, no? Slain by the very people they were trying to protect! Rangark laughed long and hard at that. Apparently he had been watching both Glendrake's caravan and the Red Claw Clan hobgoblins, and had remained unspotted. He wasn't there to witness Vrastak's ambush on the caravan though. Rangark assures me we need not fear for the safety of Glendrake’s caravan. Rangark says the caravan will reach Goruka safely, with the gnomes' precious cargo intact. Nazdin will be pleased if it does. Perhaps he will put a good word in with the Priesthood for me, and I will be given greater command responsibilities. I will have to take credit for this though, before Rangark is able to claim it for himself!
--
I have not the manpower to search for this Redbeard’s Linace Keep as Nazdin wants! What could an old abandoned Keep hold for us? I can't imagine what. No, I will delegate this task to Inyik's Red Claw Clan. No need to let Nazdin know though. I think it is a trick, and there is some monster their that Nazdin hopes will kill me. It must be a trick! What can an ancient, abandoned keep hold that will be useful in our upcoming invasion? It’s a trap for me.
--
Seems like Duke Hulvan has sent a contingent to Carodan, apparently to check up on Ricsten. Word is they don't seem pleased with Ricsten's policies! Along with Llewellyn, that meddling priest of that weakling god Fharlanghn. But it doesn't seem like Llewellyn has much influence, and Hulvan's men have not taken any definitive action yet, so I'm guessing there probably won't be any. I'll never tell Nazdin this, but much of our success has come as a result of Ricsten's aggressive policy in trying to wipe out all the dangerous creatures in the wilderness. Of course, I'll tell Nazdin my diplomatic skills were responsible!
--
Once again, Nazdin was right! There was a Gathering of Sylvan creatures. Those silly beasts of nature think they can stop the might of Hextor?!! With Nazdin, nay all of Goruka, as our pawns, what do they think they can do against Hextor's might? Unfortunately, we were not quick enough to stop the meeting, but I have dispatched our forces, human bandits inside of Shillen and orcs and hobgoblins to the north, to hunt them down. I am confidant many will not see their homes again.
--
Rangark cannot be acting under Nazdin's orders! He said he has been scouting out the ancient walled town of Radigan! He said he thinks he can capture it! He said the Gorukan generals were fools if they could not take such a small town! He chuckled at the idea of Gorukan armies not able to take a little town, guarded by such puny creatures as the half-elves Merin and Gremin and their friends. But it was not just the half-elves that defended Radigan, if I recall. It was Lord Mayor Brent, the Three Noble Families of Radigan, the Order of Ellior, and the Temple of Heironeous too. I will remember Rangark's words, and use it against him! I will tell Nazdin what Rangark said, when the time is right...
--
Inyik thinks Vrastak is planning on using her new hobgoblin army to ambush Glendrake's caravan again! He overheard her talking about this Darien, but Vrastak denies it. I need to tell Rangark, but I can't find him!
--
Apparently there was a secret meeting at Warden Ricsten's place. Putting the different reports together, it seems like there is another power group in Carodan. Three hooded humans met a group of eight - three humans, an elf, a dwarf, a halfling, a gnome, and an orc. I have sent word to the Lord-General about this and other developments.
--
Rangark said he is increasing his network of spies in Shillen. Apparently there is a very large orc he is in the process of recruiting. Perhaps the same orc that was spotted at Warden Ricsten's
--
Nazdin instructed me to send Aygar’s payment personally, and alone! What does the message scroll say? Does it tell Aygar to kill the deliverer? Does Nazdin want me dead? No, I wll not fall for that trap. I will send my lieutenant instead of me. I don't want to lose him either, though. I'll send him with a squad of riders, eight in all. Yes, that's a much better plan. It cuts down on the manpower at this base, but we’ve remain undetected for so long, I know this will not be a problem.

Last edited:

silentspace

First Post
Breakfast the next morning is a tough one. The food is good and hearty - pancakes and syrup with eggs, assorted breakfast meats and strong coffee, but the conversation is tough.

The party is splitting up, going their separate ways. Manzanita and Rowyn want to continue on and finish their mission for the Dharnans.

* Adromon feels that in the face of the imminent Gorukan invasion, this is all foolishness. He's going to enlist as a soldier in the military again.

* Alyssa agrees with Adromon, her face full of resolve.

* Devan heard that Shadow is still in town, but that he probably won't be for long. He doesn't want to leave Carodan again, he can't pass up on this opportunity to find out more about him, and possibly retrieve the stolen tome on archery.

* Filbert feels trekking in the wilderness again is just too dangerous, and likely to get him killed. He feels he could contribute more in the upcoming battle by staying put, joining the local temple of Fharlanghn, and using his divine magic to help support the garrison.

* Mirena and Filbert talk awhile. Mirena agrees to stay on with Filbert, and work as a guard at the temple. They probably won't be able to pay her much, but Filbert will give her part of his share of gold.

* Zanock only says that he's going to do "other things"

* Dunathar is torn. Part of him wants to continue on with Manzanita and Rowyn, and the other part wants to return to his homeland with his share of the riches. He says he will decide later on that day.

The party heads out together and has the last item, the shield, Identified and sold. With all their loot converted to cash, they split it. Each team member (except Mirena) gets 1,060 gold.

After saying their goodbyes, Manzanita and Rowyn head off to Warden Ricsten's offices.

silentspace

First Post
Finally, Manzanita and Rowyn are brought in to meet with Warden Ricsten, and tell their tale.

The Warden's eyes open wide as he hears about Hextor's base, Rangark's orcs, the bandits, and the Red Claw Clan of hobgoblins. Rowyn produces the journals and her deciphered notes, and shows them to him.

Interpreting the notes for Warden Ricsten, the two explain:

* How Hextor's secret base seemed to have been placed and funded by Nazdin, a Gorukan General.

* How they arrived in Carodan with a merchant caravan owned by Glendrake, which had a hired group of mercenary guards led by Darien.

* How the caravan spotted hobgoblins of the Red Claw Clan, and slew them, and how it turns out they were actually sent to watch over the caravan and ensure their safety.

* How the caravan was ambushed at night by the surviving hobgoblins and ogres of the Night Swarm Clan, apparently to get revenge on Darien, who nearly wiped out the clan earlier. The leader, a hobgoblin named Vrastak, "wielding the power of Maglubiyet", watched from a distance as the caravan managed to defeat her troops. Vrastak retreated with the survivors and her personal guard and later joined the Red Claw Clan, led by Inyek. Vrastak has built up a new following.

* How the caravan encountered Rangark's orcs deep within the Duchy of Rogan, and how they tried to recruit Zanock to their cause.

* How the caravan passed the destroyed thorp of Dimlud, famous for their pies, and how Rangark later shared pies with the minions of Hextor.

* How they encountered bandits chasing centaurs. How the bandits had been dispatched to hunt down the centaurs and other sylvan creatures, who were returning from a Gathering, where they discussed what actions, if any, they should take during the upcoming conflict.

* How the Riverfolk Brewery and the Town of Muck, located beneath the Rillathane Bridge, had been suffering attacks by bandits and hobgoblins, and how Inyek of the Red Claw Clan later shared some Riverfolk Brew with the minions of Hextor.

* How General Nazdin wanted to ensure that Glendrake's caravan reached Goruka safely. And how Inyek of the Red Claw Clan was planning to seize the caravan, and it's contents, for himself.

* How Goruka's General Nazdin is also interested in Linace Keep, just as the Dharnans are.

* How they seem to have intercepted a payment to a certain Aygar.

* How Goruka was making alliances with the creatures of the borderlands, and how Warden Ricsten's raids seem to be encouraging the creatures to side with Goruka.

Warden Ricsten absorbs all of this, nodding thoughtfully. He is unapologetic about his raids, explaining resolutley that without them, there would be far more evil creatures siding with Goruka, and that its better to cut down their numbers now, before the invasion, then to face their combined might during it. Aygar, Ricsten explains, is a troll lord he's been trying to hunt down.

The Warden is extremely disappointed that the group has decided to split up, despite agreeing to explore Linace Keep, and despite the mounts and equipment given to them by the Dharnans and himself. But having learned that General Nazdin is also interested in Linace Keep, the Warden is glad that Manzanita and Rowyn, at least, want to continue. There must be something there, he says, or at least the rumors of something important. Why else would both the Dharnans and General Nazdin be interested in it?

The Warden says he will support another expedition, and will recruit new blood to join in it. He says he'll contact Manzanita and Rowyn at the Slashing Sword once he assembles a team.

Manzanita

First Post
Manzanita

"This is all very interesting news, Rowyn. I need to cloister myself and contemplate it. Please come get me when the new team is assembled. I want to copy more spells into my book and think on developments. Meanwhile, we must be aware that we are being watched. Nothing we do will be a secret for long. We must leave this town soon. In any case, we are indeed fortunate to have encountered the Hextorites and destroyed their base. They were an important component in the web of destruction."

With that, Manzanita will retire again to her room, with minimal food and drink, but armed with all the copying material generously supplied her by the Warden earlier. She will attempt to copy Shocking Grasp, True Strike, and Nystul’s Undetectable Aura, in that order given time constraints.

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
In his room at the Slashig Sword, Dunathar sits on the floor, piling and counting the gold coins once and again. The metal coins shine under the lamp´s light, sometimes red and sometimes yellow; the flicker matches his own heart, switching from hope to shame as he watches the money. There´s sure a good amount of money, enough to start a business, but would it be enough to...? He doesn´t even dare to finish thinking: he makes all emotion sink and lets greed replace them; it´s easy for a dwarf. "Not enough." thinks while he puts the money back on his pouch. "Not enough yet. I have to continue."

Remove ads