D&D 5E Stormwreck Isle Starter Sets show up in the wild!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Weird. I would’ve thought that would be as much a cultural trait as the weapon training.
They can recast it as a metaphysical relationship to the element of Earth imbued by Moradin easily enough. Maybe even a Dwarf raised in Wildspace by Elves will still have a pure instinct for it. People don't seem to mind some of that sort of thing if it doesn't get weird.

pukunui

Legend
They can recast it as a metaphysical relationship to the element of Earth imbued by Moradin easily enough. Maybe even a Dwarf raised in Wildspace by Elves will still have a pure instinct for it. People don't seem to mind some of that sort of thing if it doesn't get weird.
If they were to do that, then I'd want them to tweak it so it does more than grant advantage on checks to determine the history of stonework. As written, it's so specific as to be nearly useless even as a ribbon ability.

If it's a supernatural / metaphysical connection to stone, then they ought to be able to do things like tell how far underground they are, identify different types of stone, figure out weak points, etc. Not just know whether elves or dwarves or orcs built a particular stone structure sometime in the past.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If they were to do that, then I'd want them to tweak it so it does more than grant advantage on checks to determine the history of stonework. As written, it's so specific as to be nearly useless even as a ribbon ability.

If it's a supernatural / metaphysical connection to stone, then they ought to be able to do things like tell how far underground they are, identify different types of stone, figure out weak points, etc. Not just know whether elves or dwarves or orcs built a particular stone structure sometime in the past.
And we might see that in the final 2024 revision, I would think: that sort of stuff would still be fairly ribbons-ish, much of the time, but cool and very Dwarf-y.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, refreshing my memory, last year Ravenloft and Witchlight use the standard Traits, Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws for their Backgrounds...but Strixhaven does not, and the format of this year's Unearthed Arcana Backgrounds looks like Strixhaven there, not just the free Feat. Will be interesting to see what they do with Spelljammer, per the Roll20 article they have Backgrounds that give Feats, too, wonder if that will also drop Traits, Ideals, Binds, and Flaws...

Last edited:

Remove ads