Storn's art for swipin'!

Storn

Explorer
I have been working on this oil painting off and on for quite some time...having started it in the middle of the Time Tribes project, then having to rush a couple of other jobs in front of it and lastly, having appendicitis and going into the hospital suddenly. I am fine and recovering. Just played light tennis saturday night. I can resume swimming in the lake this coming Saturday. So, no worries. But it did enforce a serious art break.

Past viewers might recognize this party as private commissions I did earlier in the year.
Adventurers72.jpg

Then, here is another concept from Death Tribble.. Eskimo Knell.
EskimoKnell72.jpg

And lastly, I've got an Elven archer (or aka Noldor in Prophesy of Pendor).
Noldorarcher72.jpg

Storn

Explorer
Death Tribble, my commission patron extraordinaire came up with these three concepts.

I am working on another kickstarter, some news on that soon, I think.

And some Legend of 5 Rings cards...but it will be months before they come out... and the NDAs on those are tight. Don't want to show them until they are published, which can take some time.

But anyway, enough of my babbling, onto some art!!!

First up, British Badger. Sort of a laid back sort.

BritishBadgerF72.jpg

Next, we've got a Bollywood dancer

bollywooddancer72.jpg

And lastly, Leopard Seal!

LeopardSeal72.jpg

Storn

Explorer
Hey Storn,

Really enjoying seeing your work here. I've always admired your clean illustrations.

Why thanks!!! Here are more:

So, I got the chance to do some art for a very intriguing kickstart called Sixcess Core Rulebook. They've given me the approval to show some of the art and to do a wee bit of guerrilla marketing for them.

The link will take you to the kickstarter, with a nice video, and there is a quick start pdf available too.

Sixcess Core Rulebook by Harsh Realities — Kickstarter

And here is some of the art that I did for them. First up, is a painted piece that was asked to be a "faux" Tarzan. We talked about how to make it a bit different than the Tarzan we know. Red hair was requested and that led me down a sorta viking cum jungle man character. And since the game is capable of multi-genre, it was asked to have a hodge podge of genre characters being stalked. The Harsh Realities crew asked specifically for the stalked characters, like Star trek wannabe and cowboy. I didn't make them up.

harshrealityhalfpager72.jpg

Next up is a sorta Mexican-cowboy-shaman. The character illustrations were requested to be done in my digital color over line art. So, I complied. This was a really cool concept presented to me by the Harsh Realities crew. I think they have very solid imaginations, I got to draw some characters that were a bit different for me.... and that is really saying something, considering how many character concept illustrations I've done over the years.

Alejo72.jpg

And here is the last one I'm gonna show (if ya wanna see more of my art, go support the kickstarter! <g>... my blatant attempt to always leave 'em wantin' more!). I really like Torque, as I came up with a bit of action to show off her post apocalyptic vibe. Of course, y'all are better judges than I. I'm always waaay to close to my artwork to really see what people like or don't like.

Torque72.jpg

p.s. I've also been involved in the preliminary stages of a kickstarter aimed at Mutants and Masterminds ruleset. Those folks are not quite ready to put up their kickstart, when they do, I will let y'all know about it!

Storn

Explorer
I mentioned that I would let you know about another kickstarter, this time, aimed at making a bunch of villains for the superhero role playing game, Mutants and Masterminds.

Okay. That was a bit of a run on sentence. But I'm leaving it. Because I'm amused. Sorry, that kind of day, as I'm knee deep in digital work for Legend of the Five Rings Collectable Card Game. Painting always leaves me a bit loopy.

Anyway, Robert Grady, the man behind this Kickstarter, had me do one art piece as a sample. So, first, here is the link to the Kickstarter: Do Not Approach, Villains Super-Powered by M&M (RPG) by RJ Grady — Kickstarter

And here be the art:
scarlettkingsnake72.jpg

Seems pretty interesting bad guys for a pretty awesome game. Check it out!

Storn

Explorer
My latest collection of fantasy pics for my clipart portfolio series is up at RPGnow. Link is here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/107417/Image-Portfolio-Platinum-Edition-22:-Storn-Cook?filters=0_0_0_0

This collection has 6 different pics, ranging from a jungle ranger to a sorceress to a studly swordsman. Check it out. A sneak peak of all the art is available, so you can see what you are getting. All the pics are print resolution.

Just to whet the appetite, here is the cover to the collection.

Mantatower72.jpg

I also have more from the fertile mind of Death Tribble. He wanted a "real six shooter" loup garou and a boxing british bulldog. His wish is my command!

Werewolf6shoot72.jpg

BritishBulldog72.jpg

Storn

Explorer
Even more from Death Tribble! A new take on the ol' D&D monster, Shambling Mound, with instructions to not make it massive.
shamblingmound72.jpg

And a MothMan, super villain... meybe... super hero. Wasn't clear from the description. But a bit more on the super spandex set than I've done for awhile. It was fun to return to doing that. Hope y'all enjoy!!!
mothman72.jpg

Storn

Explorer
Josh Mannon, the guy behind Within the Devil's Reach, is starting up another kickstarter. This time it is another 3 linked adventures connecting into Within the Devil's Reach storyline. Called Skies over Danbury. Although, from what I understand, you could do these adventures separately too. Both adventure books are for the game system Dungeon World.

If the kickstart succeeds, I will be doing the art for Skies over Danbury. So. I really hope that it does. I enjoyed doing the art for Within the Devil's Reach quite a bit. To give a little visual indication to both Josh and y'all of where I wanted to go cover wise, I worked up a preliminary sketch, very preliminary, and gave it a bit of a underpainting treatment.

I present it here to whet your appetites and to show a rare behind-the-scenes stage of what goes into a painting. Hope you like and I hope you will check out Josh's kickstarter link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jbmannon/the-skies-over-danbury-dungeon-world-adventures

Here is the underpainting for Skies over Danbury:

skyshipsinP72.jpg

p.s. I haven't played Dungeon World yet, but after flipping through my swag copy of Within the Devil's Reach, I SURE DO want to. And it seems very cool how Within the Devil's Reach has questions of the players to set up parameters for the adventures to be forthcoming.

Storn

Explorer
Another in a series of Exalted females for Paul L. This one is a bit more horrific in its description as being during or just after bloody battle. And oh yeah, this is the first piece of digital art done with my combo birthday/Xmas present... a brand new, 22 inch, Cintiq!!!!! Oh, by all the angels of art, what a difference from a wacom tablet!!! I am one happy, jumping with joy, boy.

Note: It isn't completely digital, I did scan in fairly tight pencils done on vellum. All the color was done digitally.

Iria72.jpg

Next is the first of three Angels that I'm doing for Xmas presents for Millie's family. I did a couple of angeds last time I was in Puerto Rico, on the spot, with cheap travel watercolors. We are heading for Puero Rico for my first PR Xmas, something I'm quite looking forward to!

Now, I'm taking my time and doing these in acrylic... a medium I haven't used in quite some time, but wanting to give it a go again. Inspired to go that route from a couple of coffee table talks with local friends n artists like Jeff Szuc and Steve Ellis!

It is interesting to be tackling Christian iconology... I am not a christian (very wayward jew, btw)... yet being an american, immersed in a Wasp environment, married into a Catholic one, it feels different to be painting angels as opposed to, oh, I don't know, valkyries or medusas from other religions. Like it is weird to be "right next door" to a subject matter, but apart from it too. It ain't like hundreds of famous artists haven't done angels or anything... sheesh. Yet, I feel somewhat blasphemous for tackling a subject I don't believe in..... I don't believe in medusas or valkyries... for the record.

As I was doing this, I was struck how similar doing an angel is and doing many a female superheroine. Maybe it is just my habits are so practiced they are now hard wired into my muscle memory.

Anyway, time to shut up and put up the artwork....

GoldAngel72.jpg

Remove ads