• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Story hours everyone should read

neg

Explorer
Here is one.....

Got a quiet one for you to read. It doesn't seem a lot of people have discovered it, but it is great fun and well told.

Graywolf- ELM's Orcs on the Rampage - Tales from the Broken Lands:

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?t=77585&page=1&pp=40

Not too long at the moment, only 4 pages, and updated regularly until just recently when Graywolf moved. I am hoping it gets back on track soon.

For those who love to play the monsters and not the heroes, this is for you. A group of young orcs, goblins, and the occasional ogre struggle to become a war party and survive in their tribe and the surrounding world. The first story hour is simply about them raiding a nearby town to earn adulthood and arm themselves. Again, great fun. Take a look.

-neg

ledded

Herder of monkies
My advice is to look for the following authors (not necessarily in this order):

Barsoomcore (several extremely good works)

Joshua Dyal (his latest is a personal fave)

Capellan (ok, he's done like 5, and I love all of them)

Rel (you HAVE to catch not only his regular game, but the one he did for his young daughter)

The Universe (great stuff)

Jonrog1 (Drunk Southern Girls is awesome, but my fave is the oooooold WW2-era game, Nadia Tesla and the Agents of Extraordinary Caliber, that he did. That one literally made me spew coffee on a computer monitor. I ended up having to print it and take it outside at work because of the open, side splitting laughter that I couldnt control). Did I mention that he is a fairly busy hollywood writer of TV and movies?

HeapThaumaturgist has several, a short horror one, a modern x-files-ish one, and a supers one that I've followed that I really liked. Find all three.

Peterson has recently started a d20 Future Story Hour that I'm digging, so far it's not that far along but has a nice feel and pace to it.

Sorry for leaving out numerous good authors, but I generally dont read a lot of the D&D ones (it's me, not you, D&D stories) and havent had time to revisit or explore new ones. But if you get through the list of folks above you will be happy, sated, and probably very, very tired. :)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
ledded said:
Rel (you HAVE to catch not only his regular game, but the one he did for his young daughter)

Coming from you, I take that as a big compliment. I will take this opportunity to NOT press you for an update of your WWII supers Story Hour (which rocks in case anybody isn't reading it). ;)

Also, thanks for the recommendation of Greywolf-ELM's Orcs on the Rampage, neg. I started reading it yesterday and I am hooked.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Dakkareth said:
I cannot recommend Shemeska's Planescape Story Hour enough to do it justice, but ... well, it was what ultimately converted me into a Planescaper, including less-than-rational spending on ebay and everything. It's simply brilliant.

*blush* Thank you
shemmywrite.gif

Pretty cool to have been listed there on the front page in the list o' must read story hours. I still feel relatively new to this crowd even after what, a little over a year of posting updates? I'll admit to feeling a bit overwhelmed at the number of views I've gotten, though I do openly wonder if by calling it my 'Planescape Story Hour', I'm restricting my audience to only hardcore 'Planescape' fans, rather than someone who might advertise their storyhour as being on the planes, or planar, etc. Whether or not the storyhour has the same flavor or atmosphere that Planescape had, I can't say, though it takes place more outside of Sigil than inside, and deals largely with the fiends and the lower planes rather than the factions (since it's post Faction War).

I'm in heady company though, and I've got to say that you other guys who were hear before me, you're the inspiration to write all this up. Especially in terms of deciding what style to pick, format for updates, etc.

Shemeska said:
I'll admit to feeling a bit overwhelmed at the number of views I've gotten, though I do openly wonder if by calling it my 'Planescape Story Hour', I'm restricting my audience to only hardcore 'Planescape' fans, rather than someone who might advertise their storyhour as being on the planes, or planar, etc.

Ha! At least its D&D. Try putting Star Wars in front of it and see how much attention you get. :)

Oh, and I plan to start reading yours when I get some time...or rather, at the rate things are going, if I get time.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
pogre said:
Many of my other favorites have not updated for months and months. I'm assuming you have read the classic Wulf Ratbane story hour. If you haven't read it from start to finish!
I can't emphasize this enough. Sadly, he's not around as much as he used to be to pimp his own story hour, but Wulf Ratbane is one of the most fully-realized D&D personalities I've ever come across. Fantastic.

Here's a link: Wulf's Story Hour

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
echo lord pendragon's post - wulf ratbane was a stud. great read.

these posts asking for story hour recommendations pop up occassionally, and you'll get 45 different suggestions because folks have 45 different tastes. thats what makes this forum cool. however, for your 46th suggestion, id recommend you start with the "can't miss" story hours - those who have garnered the most praise, posts, views, whatever. if you read and like them, move onto the newer guys. if you don't like them, you probably won't enjoy your time in the story hour forum.

specifically, id try: piratecat's story hour, sepulchrave's wyre, wulf ratbane's story hour, destan's sins of our father, contact's story hour(s), and sagiro's story hour. now, three of those are dead stories (wulf and destan and contact) and one has very infrequent updates (sepulchrave's), so keep that in mind.

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Hell, I'll toss in my two coppers. First, let the dead story hours lie. Go to something with life, something that gets updated frequently.

I'd like to throw three props at Wizardru's, Pogre's, and Old One's story hours. Great tales, but - equally important - great gamers. Good people, good people.

Pogre seems to be able to sniff out the "classics in the making" when it comes to story hours. His recommendations for Mortepierre's and Heremann's are spot on. I'd throw Funeris' Blade of Phoee into the mix, too.

Toodles,
D

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Destan said:
Hell, I'll toss in my two coppers. First, let the dead story hours lie. Go to something with life, something that gets updated frequently.

Hey man, don't force "the stud" to put the boot to ya.

Ain't no story hour with more life (heh!) than Wulf's.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads