Strange New Worlds season 2 - SPOILERS

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Possibly? I understood it based upon the context of what was happening in the scene and what we'd previously been shown of the Gorn, but I didn't immediately think "oh, it's that scene from Alien3!" That was more something that I saw subsequently in reviews, and thought "oh yeah, I see the resemblance, nice homage."
What I meant was that information was already in our minds. An unconscious connection. Whether or not we consciously thought it at the time.

MarkB

Legend
What I meant was that information was already in our minds. An unconscious connection. Whether or not we consciously thought it at the time.
Sure, but it was already presented to us in the previous stories involving the Gorn. We know that they implant their eggs into sentient hosts. Even in the absence of additional context it's not much of a leap to understand that they might choose not to consume such hosts, or that this is the reason why one would unexpectedly back off.

Honestly, my memory of Alien3 is so vague that, prior to seeing that scene reprised in a few reviews of this episode, I wouldn't have been able to recall that the alien did, in fact, corner Ripley and then back off from attacking her. I'd far more likely cite the information presented recently about the Gorn as the basis of my understanding of the events in this episode than some scenes in a movie I saw in 1992 and have never re-watched.

pukunui

Legend
I recently discovered that I could watch both Strange New Worlds and Discovery for free via a local tv station’s streaming platform. I binged SNW first and am now working my way through Discovery. I’ve just finished season 2.

I note that they made some cosmetic changes for SNW, like getting rid of the black collars on the uniforms and making Number One’s hair less wavy. Stuff like that.

I really enjoyed SNW and am enjoying Discovery so far.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I recently discovered that I could watch both Strange New Worlds and Discovery for free via a local tv station’s streaming platform. I binged SNW first and am now working my way through Discovery. I’ve just finished season 2.

I note that they made some cosmetic changes for SNW, like getting rid of the black collars on the uniforms and making Number One’s hair less wavy. Stuff like that.

I really enjoyed SNW and am enjoying Discovery so far.

TVNZ on demand is reasonably good content wise;) Red Dwarf all the seasons, Taskmaster, Halo, Continuum, BSG iirc.

Even in Otepoti we knew about it (ducks).

Star Trek the musical wtf did I watch lol.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
That episode was fantastic! I loved it as much as the storybook one from the first season.
I really liked the musical and how they worked actual character development into the songs. I particularly liked how Spock being ‘the Ex’ was used to explain why he shifts back to embracing his logical vulcan side after his dalliance with his human nature

Remove ads