Strange New Worlds season 2 - SPOILERS

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
With respect, we see that it is not willing to attack her.

We do not know it is "because" of anything in particular. That is your interpretation of the event. Unless there was a line in the subtitles like, "Gorn youngling: Growl. Ah, clearly you are implanted with eggs, so I will not assault you!" that the rest of us did not see?
Excessively pedantic isn't a good look. We're inferring it. But they're heavily implying it.
Plus, it very much parallels Alien 3's scene between the xenomorph and Ripley. Cultural literacy. It's not just for breakfast.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
With respect, we see that it is not willing to attack her.

We do not know it is "because" of anything in particular. That is your interpretation of the event. Unless there was a line in the subtitles like, "Gorn youngling: Growl. Ah, clearly you are implanted with eggs, so I will not assault you!" that the rest of us did not see?

Note: Gorn are lethally aggressive, to the point of cannibalism, with each other after hatching. Killing someone carrying eggs wipes out competition early! It would be incongruous for them to not be aggressive with those carrying eggs, unless that was specifically the Gorn that had implanted Marie. While that technically could be, there's nothing I recall in the scene to telegraph that relationship.
I think you’re stretching on this one. The scene clearly has the alien look at Marie and leave, and immediately after Pike looks at Marie and questions why. Marie looks away guilty, telecasting some secret she is keeping.

Literally the second the scene ends I went “oh she’s implanted”. I think it’s was very clear what the writers were going for one this one

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Literally the second the scene ends I went “oh she’s implanted”. I think it’s was very clear what the writers were going for one this one

You feel they clearly telegraphed something to you.

That you got it does not mean it was clear, in general. It means you got it. When faced with the suggestions that others didn't get it, maybe it is time to rethink how clear that scene was, overall.

Stalker0

Legend
The reverse equally applies.
Agreed. I respect the idea that people may have not "gotten it" right when the scene plays out. But then later on when the "big reveal" occurs, the expected response is "oooooh, THAT's why the gorn ignored them!"

When the show literally shows the chekov's gun with Pike's question to Marie "why did the gorn stop?", and then fires the gun with the reveal "Marie is implanted!"..... sorry that's but about a direct a correlation as you're going to get in tv. There just isn't any more to it than that.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think you’re stretching on this one. The scene clearly has the alien look at Marie and leave, and immediately after Pike looks at Marie and questions why. Marie looks away guilty, telecasting some secret she is keeping.

Of course, we've all seen Alien3. I wonder if those who haven't would have got that so easily?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Of course, we've all seen Alien3. I wonder if those who haven't would have got that so easily?
The parallel to Alien 3 is a bonus callback for us fans, but unnecessary to understanding. When Pike asks Marie why the Gorn didn't attack, she reveals she's been implanted as her answer. As Stalker0 says, it's hard to get more direct than that in what the show is telling us.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The parallel to Alien 3 is a bonus callback for us fans, but unnecessary to understanding. When Pike asks Marie why the Gorn didn't attack, she reveals she's been implanted as her answer. As Stalker0 says, it's hard to get more direct than that in what the show is telling us.
No you misunderstand me. I meant would we have got it straight away in the first scene without having seen Alien3? Obviously we would have got it later when they basically tell us straight out.

MarkB

Legend
No you misunderstand me. I meant would we have got it straight away in the first scene without having seen Alien3? Obviously we would have got it later when they basically tell us straight out.
Possibly? I understood it based upon the context of what was happening in the scene and what we'd previously been shown of the Gorn, but I didn't immediately think "oh, it's that scene from Alien3!" That was more something that I saw subsequently in reviews, and thought "oh yeah, I see the resemblance, nice homage."

Remove ads