Loki Season 2 Discussion - Spoilers

pukunui

Legend
Yes, this one Variant now has a new name. He now joins Kid Loki, Alligator Loki, Female Loki (Sylvie), and Dead Loki (Sacred Timeline Loki).
And Classic Loki, Boastful Loki, President Loki (with his army of unnamed Loki variants), and that monstrous troll (?) Loki glimpsed only in a hologram in season 1.

Hussar

Legend
Well, in the ways we’ve all been saying for a few pages now.

You might disagree about whether eternity alone in a chair is tragic (it is), but that’s what we’re referring to.

I’m sorry but getting a heroic ending where everyone wins is not a tragedy.

Tragedy doesn’t mean “a bit sad”. Hamlet isn’t a tragedy because he dies. It’s a tragedy because he dies a pointless, meaningless death that was easily preventable.

But I get the sense that we are using the word “tragedy” differently.

Ryujin

Legend
I’m sorry but getting a heroic ending where everyone wins is not a tragedy.

Tragedy doesn’t mean “a bit sad”. Hamlet isn’t a tragedy because he dies. It’s a tragedy because he dies a pointless, meaningless death that was easily preventable.

But I get the sense that we are using the word “tragedy” differently.
I think it's more an issue of seeing the whole situation differently.

Hussar

Legend

Like I said, I’m using tragedy in its litererary criticism meaning. I’m guessing that others are using it more colloquially.

Romeo and Juliet is a tragedy. Hamilton is a tragedy. This? Naw.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Like I said, I’m using tragedy in its litererary criticism meaning. I’m guessing that others are using it more colloquially.

A high school English teacher strongly believed the word "tragedy" is exclusive to the literary meaning; any other unfortunate situation is tragic, but not a tragedy.

In Romeo and Juliet the deaths of those characters leads to the Montagues and Capulets ending their feud.

Remove ads