Loki Season 2 Discussion - Spoilers

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Just read about this line, that apparently Tom suggested to use in the finale. Another full circle, in a sense.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
How is it tragic? Loki got exactly what he always wanted - a throne. All the other characters got endings in keeping with their respective plot lines.

In what way is this a tragic story?
Well, in the ways we’ve all been saying for a few pages now.

You might disagree about whether eternity alone in a chair is tragic (it is), but that’s what we’re referring to.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Because he got it by, as far as we can tell, being alone, right after he figured out other people just mattered to him. That's the point of most of the season.
Indeed. I don't know how they could have been more clear on that. I mean, in the final episode, they literally spell it out by showing Loki at the start of season 1 saying he wants a throne, and then speaking with Sylvie saying what's really important is friends. It's a clear display of how Loki has changed throughout the series.

He got what he initially wanted, but not what he really wanted, if that makes sense. And that's the tragedy of it. The irony of sacrificing the one thing he really wanted/needed for a thing he thought he wanted when it all started.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Indeed. I don't know how they could have been more clear on that. I mean, in the final episode, they literally spell it out by showing Loki at the start of season 1 saying he wants a throne, and then speaking with Sylvie saying what's really important is friends. It's a clear display of how Loki has changed throughout the series.

He got what he initially wanted, but not what he really wanted, if that makes sense. And that's the tragedy of it. The irony of sacrificing the one thing he really wanted/needed for a thing he thought he wanted when it all started.

Even more so, taking the throne for other people, even though it also separates him from them.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Exactly: I think it is tragic, but a certain poetic and triumphantly heroic tragedy.

Remove ads