• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Strange New Worlds trailer

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I jut hope that they don't make the same mistake that Enterprise did, by going for a galaxy wide crisis. I have high hopes for it.

IIRC, the producers have stated that they aren't doing long plot arcs. The characters are expected to have their personal development and relationships develop over time, but that is supposed to be within the context of episodic stories.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Yeah, episodic adventures of the week is something I’m looking forward to.
I thought so too, but after Mando (I know different series but similar episodic style) I've already tired of it. Though, that's just me and I see this return to TV of yesterday being the pulpy goodness that ST really needs.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It wouldn’t even have to be within a particular time setting.

Well, each individual story would have to be in a particular time setting, and you'd need to communicate that to the viewers in a satisfying way, which could get awkward.

But broadly - a Star Trek anthology series could be interesting. It could be really interesting if they made it a venue for prominent or upcoming sci-fi writers to engage with Trek.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I thought so too, but after Mando (I know different series but similar episodic style) I've already tired of it.

The Mandalorian was also filming in a style reminiscent of an old western... which meant a pretty slow pacing. One would hope they'd not lean into that here.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The Mandalorian was also filming in a style reminiscent of an old western... which meant a pretty slow pacing. One would hope they'd not lean into that here.
No doubt ST will be on a different pace. Though, was the "wagon train to space" thing something a fan said or something that the creators did?

What IS it about Star Fleet captains running off to bucolic lifestyles in their off times/retirements? Do no inactive Star Fleet captains live in urban centers so they can go to the theater and see the latest musical productions or check out the new chic restaurants? They all have to ride horses, farm, or grow grapes?
You have been cooped up in a flying tin can for years, why would you not want open space?!

Ryujin

Legend
That was Gene Roddenberry’s original pitch.
Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I think that was what the network told him they wanted, after the first pilot "The Cage" was labeled "too cerebral." He came back with "Where No Man has gone Before" and while they bought the series based on that, they still went with "The Man Trap" (the one about the salt eating shapeshifter) as the first episode to air.

Remove ads