• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Strange Stars IC

Someone

Adventurer
They bring Milar a bowl of water, [I guess you want to cast a divination spell with it; well see if we can weave it with the rest of the post. I want the game to move forward]
food and drink. They leave you to rest alone for what´s left of the day and the night. [you can make them look for costly spell components and other things you want to buy in the city before you leave]

The next morning, just after you have prayed, prepared (and cast) your spells and meditated to gather you energies a servants comes into the room. ”They´re here already, looking for you. The ship´s ready and waiting, please gather your belongins and these cloaks and follow me.”

The servant lights a clay lamp and guides you through a narrow tunnel that starts beyond the concealed door at the lead room. The stone floor, walls and ceiling become damper at each step you take, until a bright spot can be seen in the distance. The servant continues: ”The caliph has put a price for your heads” says ”Twenty thousands golden dinars for each of you! But you don´t have to worry about the loyalty of Ben Nassor´s men, or his crew. The people at the port, though, are another matter.” Finally you arrive at a small underground room littered with rotten fish; in the ceiling, in front of you, a rusty grate lets the sunlight come in. You put on the cloaks, disguising as well as you can, and come out of the csecret passage to a short and narrow alley. Beyond it, the port, and the Winged just ready to leave.

You almost have reached it when the alarm is raised; someone recognized you. You come abord quickly, but the crew doesn´t seem worried. They expertly make the ship sail away; a group of guards arrive just when you are ten yards from the dock. One on them tries to jump, and nearly does, but it comes short of several feet and merely bounces off the hull and falls in the water making everyone aboard laugh. Some arrows follow him, but it´s already too late and the Winged makes his way into the Infinite Sea without anything bothering you.

Seven days have passed without anything really worth of mention. Qalare´s powers over the winds and clouds often fail as expected [OOC: magic that manipulate weather and help to find the way are impeded in the Infinite Sea. Other than that, it has the same tarits as the Material plane] and Milar pass hours with the captain trying to decipher a way to the island decsribed in the chart.

Rana received a couple of worrying sendings from the ambassador. For what he has managed to find out, the new vizier has somehow gathered the support of many of the Emirs [generals] and now has the army with him. And apparently, he´s planning to make the Caliph abdicate in favor of him in the next Descent day -the annyversary of the gift of the Holy Book- That´s 18 days from now!

Your worryings grow when the watchman cryes an alarm. You all come to starboard and see how a huge, no, HUGE thing is defined in the sky. It´s bigger than the ship, that´s for sure, and coming quickly. The shape of an inimaginably large hawk descends towards the Winged...

Fanog

First Post
That evening in Nassor's palace, Milar became restless but focussed. After asking the servants to procure for him components for his spells, he took the bowl of water and sprinkled incense, coral and shells. He chanted and stirred, giving thanks to the spirits for letting him live and setting him on a course for the Sea once more. "Water in sea and on land, in every person alive. Ever present, and all knowing... Our voyage will take us over the Infinite Sea and to the Fountain of Youth. Knowing spirits, speak to me. Will out voyage give us the means to rob Qalasini of his powers?" With that, Milar took the spoon from the bowl of water and let it come to rest, waiting for the knowledge of the Deep the manifest.

As soon as he sets foot on the Winged, Milar forgets about his age and his stiff bones. Being on the sea gives him vitality as youth had given him. He introduces himself to both the captain and the crew. During those seven days, he is rarely in one place for long. Morning could find him at the bow, staring out over the water. Midday might find him with the captain, peering over the maps and trying to navigate the wonders of the Infinite Sea. Night would find him in the ship's rigging, working alongside the crew and learning the latest news. Between his various tasks he also tried to get to know his new companions, learn of their past and present.

Milar leaves his place at the bow as soon as he hears the cry from the watchman. He squints his eye, trying to see any detail of what might be coming for them. A hawk, this large?, he thinks. "It might be nothing, or we're getting close and Qalasini has taken precautions. Better safe then sorry: My friends, please accept this charm", he says. Grabbing his coral necklace, Milar mutters "Spirits of the Deep, don't take us yet. Suspend us above, allow us to cross...", then quickly touches each of his companions. "There, this will allow you to tread on water, should it become necessary."

Someone

Adventurer
Fanog said:
"Water in sea and on land, in every person alive. Ever present, and all knowing... Our voyage will take us over the Infinite Sea and to the Fountain of Youth. Knowing spirits, speak to me. Will out voyage give us the means to rob Qalasini of his powers?" With that, Milar took the spoon from the bowl of water and let it come to rest, waiting for the knowledge of the Deep the manifest.

A woman´s face forms in the water and speaks to you: "Robber of essence, himself split / Though he walks the world lives in a cage / Remove the thief from the water, destroy his deceit, and he´ll be mortal again."

You have several rounds to cast buff or other spell before the hawk arrives. It seems coming directly to the ship.

Last edited:

nameless

First Post
[OOC: I'm changing my spell list for the intervening 7 days, and if Control Weather is failing, I'll swap that out for something else. Changes are: Drop Control Weather and Reverse Gravity for Summon Monster VII x2, Overland Flight is dropped for Teleport, Wall of Ice is dropped for another Polymorph, a Lightning Bolt is dropped for Water Breathing, and Invisibility and Detect Thoughts are dropped for Alter Self and Bull's Strength.]

Seeing the giant hawk, Qalare thinks, So the legends are true. I shouldn't be surprised, though seeing the legendary Roc this far into the infinite sea is strange.

Preparing for a fight with the massive bird, Qalare calls to legendary lands of Heaven and slices the more powerful spell to pull a greater number of the glowing Lantern Archons that may be able to defeat the threatening creature. As soon as they appear, Qalare further enhances all present with another spell to give the edge that might be required against the mighty beast.

[OOC: Cast Summon Monster V, using the IV list for more than one Lantern Archon. Once they arrive, cast Haste on them, myself, and the rest of the party, plus whatever capable sailors might benefit from it.]

(in Celestial)"Go forth, shining heroes, and save our ship from the great bird of prey. Remain behind it, and use your mobility to keep it away from you!"

DM_Matt

First Post
Wait! I learned the arts of war in an elven fighting school. We were taught to respect nature and not to underestimate its might. I have not used it in a long time, but I was taught how to convince animals not to attack. Perhaps I should try that first. No. No, I cannot. As much as I prefer not to slay the regal beast, it is too risky to waste so much time. Those archons can get off quite a bit of fire by the time he gets there....

And so can I...

Rana turns invisible and flies to meet the beast. As soon as she is within range, she hits it with scorching rays, being sure to move right after, but always back towards the ship in some way. Its going to have a real problem determining what square shes in on a 3D plane. Doing the math....

A Roc moves at 80. Rana moves at 40. The Range of the Rays are 55. Rana moves to 55 fron the beast, fires. Moves back, wasting 10 of her move for varying position so that the Roc doesn't guess her location. Roc moves 80, ending up 5 feet fron Rana. She fires again and moves 30, so she is 35 fron the Roc. Roc moves 80, so he is 45 past Rana. Rana fires a third time, moves back 30, thus being 15 behind the Roc. Roc moves 80, thus being 95 past Rana. Rana must then double move to get into Roc range.

So Rana can get three SRs off by the time the Roc can sucessfully evade.

Last edited:

Jade Solstar

First Post
With lightning quick reflexes Rashid says "May the magical might of my peoples protect me in battle." As soon as a shimmering shield of energy surrounds him he readies his bow with an arrow notched, hoping that Rana is successful in getting the legendary creature to change its path...

[OOC-I will cast Shield upon myself and ready my attack so that if Rana is unsuccessful I will be prepared to attack at my first opportunity, taking penalties up to 3 range increments away if need be.]

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
[Nameless: About Teleport, remember that it only works within the current plane; than means island or the Sea itself.]

Omar, the captain starts shouting orders as the bird comes at the speed of thunder and making not less noise as his colossal wings beat once and again, then folds them and falls into a dive directly to the ship. To those there, it´s like a mountain were falling on them, so enormous is the bird. The archons and Rana are scattered like flies in a windstorm when the hawk arrives and it´s claws sink on the Winged´s wood, impervious to the many arrows, spells and javelins that receive it. The impact it´s almost too much to the otherwise solid ship: it oscillates wildly and nearly sinks under the infinite sea´s waters, but for some reason the hawk keeps it afloat. Rashid manages to get a hold on a rope, but Torvak, Milar and Qalare roll all over the deck along barrels and men (7 damage each) but manage to stay aboard.

Satisfied with the capture, the beast´s wings start beating again. The hurricane, combined with the previous and actual shaking of the battered Winged makes rips the sails and sailors from deck and masts. The remaining must hold themselves with all their might so not to be flung away.

And with two final tremendous wing flaps, the bird takes off, carring the Winged with it like if it were a fish!

[The bird (sorry, nor a roc! ;)) wins initiative and approaches the ship for two rounds while you cast your spells. Flying downwards, it´s way faster than you thought at first sight (specially when it´s not a roc)

Rana has time to fire a scorching ray, same for the two lantern archons (3 shoot each) that answered Qalare´s call, and a full attack from Rashid, with a small effect, before it charges, overruning Rana and the archons without difficulty and grabbing the ship. Rana fires another scorching ray before the bird takes off.

It´s your turn now.]

Fanog

First Post
Milar tries to stand up, a bit dazed from his roll over the deck. He hold on to the ship's rigging, used to holding on to the ropes in heavy weather. Taking a look over the railing, he realizes their predicament. "Is everyone alright? Where is it taking us?", he speaks, yelling to be heared above the roar of the wind.

Once Milar is satisfied that he stands stable, he concentrates for a brief moment. "Spirits, please grant me protection in this hour of need. Keep me safe."

((Generating a protective ward, granting +10 resistance bonus to my next save.))

nameless

First Post
"Friends! Beware... the Winged may not be seaworthy with the cracked hull. Perhaps we should allow this bird to take us to land. If our ship sinks out here, we are done for!"

As Qalare is being tossed about the ship, he also issues the silent command to the golems to go below deck and hold onto [some main beam of the ship].

Pausing to decide if he should take offensive action despite his warning, Qalare instead assesses the situation. Running to the bow of the ship, he looks forward to see the great bird's destination.

[OOC: Run to the front of the ship, then make a spot check to see where we are going, or a Lore/Knowledge(Leg.Lands) check if that could help. Remembering that all speeds for myself, the archons and the party (including fly speeds) are +30 feet. The archons will continue harassing the bird for the moment with their light rays, full attacking with 3 rays if possible. Also a question, are the attacks by Rana, Rashid and the archons having appreciable effect on the bird?]

Remove ads