• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Strange Stars IC

Someone

Adventurer
After being healed, the group splits as you leave Qalare´s house, Rana on her way to warn the ambassador and Qalare to reach Nassor´s palace. [I know Milar is going with Qalare, Torvak and Rashid say where are you going]

Ben Nassor group

The wind grows and grows, carrying so much dirt that it´s difficult to see beyond 40 feet, and less at the time you arrive at the palace; nobody disturbs you there. Like all the houses in this city, it´s focused inwards: little can be seen inside from the streets, only a plain wall and solid doors. You knock and Qalare announces himself after a servant opens it.

You briefly wait –and are not the only ones doing that- on some comfortable cushions before a richly dressed chamberlain approaches you “Ben Nassor, prince of merchants await you” says. “Please follow me”

You do so through a courtyard where the sudden gusts of wind make the trees bend and the fountain´s waer splash at random directions. At the other side, the chamberlain open a locked, heavy door; beyond it, a well lit set of stone stairs descend. “Ben Nassor waits you inside” says the chamberlain.

Having been ambushed already once today, you warily descend the stairs. Finally, you arrive at a small chamber; rich carpet and tapestries and silk resting places hide metal plates that dully glown with the lamps´ light.

“Lead.” Says the man sitting in front of you. “For those who don´t want to be spied.”

He´s a very old man; bended down and wrinkled, he looks like if he were about to day of old age. However, he still has a firm voice and looks lucid enough. And rich

“Wecome to my house.” Says “I´m Ben Nassor, and you saved me the effort of finding you.”

“You can´t be” replies Qalare. “Ben Nassor is no more than 30 years old, and you look like his grand-grandfather.”

The old man smiles. “I´ll have to tell you a tale, and I beg you to hear it before deciding if I´m a liar, a lunatic, or both.”

“Two hundred and twenty four years ago Al´Gera was no more than a village by the sea with a good port. There, lived a young man, called Kamal. His only riches were his bravery and intelligence; at the first opportunity, signed in a merchant ship and started to sail the Infinite Sea.”

“Through his boldness, hard work or just plain luck, he became soon rich enough to buy his own ship. And then rich enough to buy a palace; but that wasn´t enough, because Kamal loved the sea and wanted to sail beyond the stars and see what no man had seen before.”

He throws some herbs into a small brazier and inhales the smoke before continuing.

“In one of his travels he arrived at a strange island. A fortress had been built into a mountain. Kamal went to explore the fortress with his companions; it´s endless caverns turned to be full of monsters and deadly traps. However, he, the only survivor, reacher the deepest chamber, a place where a stream of glowing water filled a fountain of unheard beauty. Kamal took some water in his hands and drank it; not only his wounds instantly closed, but his youthness were restored, more alive than ever.”

“The fountain of youth!?” exclaims Qalare.

“Yes. It exists, and it´s not a myth. To shorten the tale, Kamal returned to Al´Gera, where he used disguises to appear older. When too much time passed to maintain the ruse, he moved to another island, and faked to be his own son; had many adventures and suffered many wounds... until now.

One day, he suddenly grew older and older, and knew something happened with the Fountain. And only one day later he saw a man; not the first time, he was at the court decades ago. He was Qalasini, the Caliph´s uncle, as young as he was 50 years ago. Now, I don´t know how, the court wizard and Vizier. I suspected something bad was going to happen, but alas, my time is finally coming. I know your reputation and imagine you´re the only ones that can help the Caliph now: nothing good can come from that man; believe me, he´s not a good person.”

[Rana´s post coming tomorrow]

Fanog

First Post
Milar walks where he is led with his eyes and ears open. He'd like to learn as much as he can before meeting the man in person. The sight of the lead plates on the wall cause a raised eyebrow and a silent prayer of thanks. "Well, this is one benefit at least. He must be a cautious man. Let's see where all this leads...

The sailor priest listens silently to the venerable man's tale. After he has finished, Milar takes the word "Your tale is a wondrous one. It might be hard to believe, if not for the things we have just witnessed and the things I have seen myself on the islands. The Infinite Sea holds many wonders. Your story rings true and it would explain a lot." Milar takes a breath and thinks on what had transpired earlier. "If Qalasini does indeed draw his power from this fountain, then we should go there to rob him of it. Or perhaps... Please tell me, did the fountain bestow additional benefits besides eternal youth? We tried to defend ourtselves from Qalasini, but he seemed impossible to harm. The most serious of wounds were healed almost instantly. If Kamal has also had the benefit of these effects, would you perhaps know of a way to stop him?"

Someone

Adventurer
Rana´s group

Rana and Rashid (and Torvak?) quickly proceed towards the ambassador residence: a tower in the skirts of the town, near the east walls. There, the ambasador (a spellcaster of certain skill) researches in his favourite passtime: astrology.

A couple elven guards greet Rana and invite you all to enter, and guide you to upper rooms where the ambassador protects the delicate instruments against the howling and erosive wind with the help of two servants.

Finally he turns to you. “Your sight is always a pleasure, Rana.” Says. “But why ar your clother charred and stained with blood?”

“I fear it´s not time to get distracted with pointless fights. A new Vizier was appointed yeterday, and I think he´s a powerful wizard. And his face... his face pokes something in my mind, like if I had seem him before. And the stars warned me about a impending danger.”

Someone

Adventurer
Fanog said:
Please tell me, did the fountain bestow additional benefits besides eternal youth? We tried to defend ourtselves from Qalasini, but he seemed impossible to harm. The most serious of wounds were healed almost instantly. If Kamal has also had the benefit of these effects, would you perhaps know of a way to stop him?"

The olm man smiles. "The poetry of the tale interfered in it´s clarity. I am Kamal; the number of my years ascend to two hundred and fifty eight. My sudden ageing came to a surprise, because the power of the fountain never failed before. I guess Qalasini has something to do with it. About the power of the fountain´s waters, it only bestows continual youth and no other phisical or mental powers, and certainly not immunity to wounds: I have scars to prove it."

"Maybe Qalasini has means to drain even more power from the fountain. I certainly don´t know. What I´m sure is that Qalasini is bad news for the caliphate, and even worse news for the caliph. He´s a cruel man, and I know you are loyal to the caliph. What do you plan to do?"

nameless

First Post
"I am glad my instincts served me today. I plan to sail to this lost island you describe and rob Qalasini of his power just as he has robbed you. I believe you could be correct about his tapping the fountain for great benefit. He is a powerful wizard and you did say that it healed your wounds upon your first drink. It will be hard to tell if Qalasini has been overcome from that distant place, however."

"I wonder what we will do once we arrive, though. It seems folly to destroy such a powerful thing as the Fountain of Youth if we can depose Qalasini without doing so. If drinking from it does remove its powers from the previous benefactor, then we must only do so. But who?"

Qalare pauses, then continues, "Ah! Kemal, will you journey to the Fountain with us as our guide? You used your power well and are more deserving of it than the five who go to it now. If he knows who you are, I imagine that you are no safe here, nor are you powerful enough to defend yourself from him in your state of weakness. So will you come? "

Someone

Adventurer
Kemal negates with the head. "I´m growing weaker with every minute. Not only a sea travel would kill me, but also I feel the time of meeting the Allforgiving is near; the travel would last too much."

"However, I still have my ship, the Winged. It and it´s crew is at your disposal, if you´re going to stop Qalasini."

DM_Matt

First Post
Someone said:
Rana´s group

Rana and Rashid (and Torvak?) quickly proceed towards the ambassador residence: a tower in the skirts of the town, near the east walls. There, the ambasador (a spellcaster of certain skill) researches in his favourite passtime: astrology.

A couple elven guards greet Rana and invite you all to enter, and guide you to upper rooms where the ambassador protects the delicate instruments against the howling and erosive wind with the help of two servants.

Finally he turns to you. “Your sight is always a pleasure, Rana.” Says. “But why ar your clother charred and stained with blood?”

“I fear it´s not time to get distracted with pointless fights. A new Vizier was appointed yeterday, and I think he´s a powerful wizard. And his face... his face pokes something in my mind, like if I had seem him before. And the stars warned me about a impending danger.”

"The new vizier of which you speak just tried to kill me...along with several of the Caliph's personal problem-solving team. He is a powerful wizard, and is aided by mercenaries from an island of ancient evils (I tell him anytihng else I know about it). He is keeping the Caliph and his family hostage in the palace.

I must leave Al' Gera. It is not safe here. I just came to warn you to contact the Thulkarr and our allies as soon as possible to inform them of these dire developments. We must go immediately. Any material help, however, would be appreciated."

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
"Tried to kill... you? Hostages?" The ambasador mumbles around a bit before continuing. "I find that difficult to believe! But if you say so..."

"However, remember that you have a duty with the Thulkarr, and it´s to protect the current status quo. We can´t leave such an important port in the hands of unknow wizards. Whato you plan to do abou it? what about the other calph´s men?"

DM_Matt

First Post
Someone said:
"Tried to kill... you? Hostages?" The ambasador mumbles around a bit before continuing. "I find that difficult to believe! But if you say so..."

"However, remember that you have a duty with the Thulkarr, and it´s to protect the current status quo. We can´t leave such an important port in the hands of unknow wizards. Whato you plan to do abou it? what about the other calph´s men?"

"you know me better than to think that I would inflict such a deceit upon you. I speak the truth. I'd think you also know me better than to think for a moment that I would abandon an assigned post...or, for that matter, a vendetta such as this one. This wizard has found some way to be invuilnerable to physical harm, however. I plan to accompany the Caliph's men to seek a way to penetrate his defenses. Make no mistake. He will die, and he will die soon. But in case we fail, or in case this wizard decides to strike preemptively at his neighbors, military preparations must be made as well."

Last edited:

Remove ads