Streaming Services: First 2023 POWER RANKINGS (And what's up with Prime?)

Clint_L

Hero
Here's what we currently use most:

1. Netflix. It's got such a deep library.

2. Crave (Canadian HBO). This is a service I subscribe to intermittently - I find it is only worth paying for a few months per year, when we catch up on our prestige viewing, and then we unsubscribe until next year. My kid currently wants to watch The Sopranos, so we will keep it a bit longer this year.

3. Prime. It has some good shows, a solid library, and it's effectively free, since I need the other benefits of Prime membership anyway.

4. AppleTV. What series it has are good.

5. Disney+. Andor was great, but there isn't enough content. What We Do in the Shadows is saving it from cancellation right now, but once that is done...

6. Paramount+. We watch Survivor, and there is some animation my kid likes.

7. Hulu. I wish! No Hulu in Canada.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Oh, that's right. I forgot that Disney+ and Hulu may be merging in the US. We're iffy on Disney+ for the same reasons you are, @Clint_L. If all the FX shows pop up there, it'll save the channel for us, to say nothing of getting Hulu originals.

As it is, we buy each season of What We Do in the Shadows via Apple and get it that way, which is cheaper in the long run, but obviously you only get just one show, rather than everything else that would come with a streamer.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Now that many of the streaming services are realizing that they just can't spend tons of cash on content to boost subscriber numbers and profit matters I think it's only a matter of time before the number of services implodes. Personally, I can't wait.

Look at the CW. From what I understand, as a network, it was never profitable but it made money licensing their shows to Netflix. Then the decision was made to bring all of those shows in-house and stop licensing them and then the CW was really unprofitable and it started collapsing and it was sold off. They could have continued making money by licensing their content but chose not to. Sony has TONS of content but doesn't have a streaming service; I wonder why? The current deluge of streaming services is, hopefully, unsustainable.
They have Crackle and Crunchyroll.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Disney+ is a necessity because of Bluey and Micky Mouse Clubhouse, Netflix is necesary because of Gabby's Dollhouse, and Amazon Prime us necesary because if free shipping and Dibo Dan.

My tastes don't dictate the streaming services in these parts, but normally I want to play video games after the kids are in bed.

Hex08

Hero
They have Crackle and Crunchyroll.
I should have been more clear. I meant a streaming service that houses all of their content, like Disney+ or Paramount+. Sony licenses out their movies rather than put them up on a paid streaming service that they own. For example, Morbius is on Netflix.

Zardnaar

Legend
I should have been more clear. I meant a streaming service that houses all of their content, like Disney+ or Paramount+. Sony licenses out their movies rather than put them up on a paid streaming service that they own. For example, Morbius is on Netflix.

Looks like Sony chose right

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Take another look at Crackle: they have a lot of Sony-Columbia stuff.

Also, their business model is almost as different from the other major studios as Amazon's is: theybwant people to buy big audio/visual home systems.

Last edited:

Remove ads