• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Streetwise skill not needed

Sadrik

First Post
Streetwise skill seems to me to be a little redundant. The "face man" has to take two skills to be effective? Diplomacy and Streetwise should have been rolled together. Hide and Move Silently got rolled together why didn't Diplomacy and Gather Information?

Streetwise's effect should have simply been handled by a skill challenge where many different skills would have worked. I may ax this skill, is there any reason I shouldn't? Give me some.

Zurai

First Post
It's Gather Information + Knowledge: Local, not just GI. It doesn't make sense at all to merge Diplomacy and Knowledge: Local.

tombowings

First Post
Zurai said:
It's Gather Information + Knowledge: Local, not just GI. It doesn't make sense at all to merge Diplomacy and Knowledge: Local.

Agreed, it is important to consider as another "environmental" skill, just like nature and dungeoneering. Streetwise is the general urban environment skill.

Alkiera

First Post
Yeah, Streetwise is the urban equivalent of Nature or Dungeoneering. It's a general city knowledge skill now.

I do think they should have gone the SWSE route of combining more of the social skills; bluff, diplomacy, Intimidate, could all be one skill, sorta.

Cadfan

First Post
Also, you're not supposed to have a "face man" these days. You're supposed to have a couple different face men. As in, perhaps the Fighter is Intimidating, the Rogue is Streetwise and a good liar, the Cleric is Insightful, and the Wizard is Diplomatic. Or whatever, the skills are spread around enough that, if I recall correctly, everyone has the choice of picking one or two social skills.

Sadrik

First Post
Oh sorry its two skills :p

Still I think it would be better handled as a skill challenge.

Streetwise is not an "environment skill" it specifically says what it is and does. You can determine movers and shakers, find out what is going on, where to get what you need, and where not to go.

Sorry, my games usually don't handle that stuff with a roll. We usually role-play, the PC's figuring out by asking questions with the locals. The difference between the "environment" skills is that the PC's generally spontaneously do/learn/use/recall what the information/task- Streetwise requires you to interact. Again I see no reason to not remove it and handle the interactions with diplomacy/intimidate/bluff or whatever other ingenuity the players come up with. It seems overly "Macro" similar to the old profession skills "Macro" approach.

Zurai

First Post
Sadrik said:
Streetwise is not an "environment skill" ... You can ... find out ... where to get what you need, and where not to go.
Uh, isn't that exactly what Nature and Dungeoneering do for their respective environments?

Answer: Yes, yes it is.

Sadrik

First Post
Zurai said:
Uh, isn't that exactly what Nature and Dungeoneering do for their respective environments?

Answer: Yes, yes it is.
Thank you for misquoting. Answer: No, no it isnt.

Streetwise requires an hour to go and talk to the locals this is far different than nature or dungeoneering.

Remove ads